UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 ??

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, David said:

That's the thing that makes me laugh when I've seen people say he's finished, or no longer the fighter he once was. He's only ever really lost to top guys, with the exception of Nate in their first fight. And I have little doubt that in a rematch with Diaz he'd win that fight with relative ease. 

The numbers for this past weekend shows there's a lot of interest still there for McGregor, but the UFC need to book him correctly. He's not a top three lightweight. I don't think he ever really was, but he certainly isn't now.

The UFC should be looking to grab a slice of that influencer money pie. Get a deal signed up with a Jake Paul or whoever, and co-promote that fight. It would generate a shitload of cash, and it's two guys who can throw insults at each other then fight in the Octagon under modified hybrid-boxing rules or some shit.

There's a whole bunch of ways they could go with Conor, making a ton of money, but it doesn't involve putting him in there with top tier guys. To borrow from the wrasslin' world, he doesn't need the belt.

Grab a Paulie Malignaggi or something and sign that shit up. 

We'll likely see the UFC try to shoehorn him back into the title picture though, which won't work. 

A while back, that might have made sense, but didn't Jake Paul very publicly slag off Dana White for paying his fighters so little? And with combat sport-leaning influencers, surely they'll want to go down the boxing route now that they know the big money's there instead of MMA?

2 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

A while back, that might have made sense, but didn't Jake Paul very publicly slag off Dana White for paying his fighters so little? And with combat sport-leaning influencers, surely they'll want to go down the boxing route now that they know the big money's there instead of MMA?

It would depend if the UFC are looking to cash in on the whole recent trend I guess. As I said, my guess is that they won't. They should, but they won't.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, neil said:

This is a funny photo, but really shameful on the part of UFC and Rogan to do this.

I guess the whole mess and fallout from this whole thing stems from the fact that they did that interview in the cage. It wasn't the right time was it? the guy is sat there with a shattered leg, humiliated and hes just lost a massive fight, they kind of asked for it didnt they? Im not condoning what Conor said for one minute, but he shouldnt have been asked to comment at that time. Can you recall another fighter ever being interviewed after suffering such a horrific injury? its fucked up.

No, but he was the one screaming to be interviewed and when it comes to UFC, he gets what he wants. I guess if we are looking at inappropriate interviews, look no further than Cormier, despite how funny it was. 

• Paid Members
15 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh that was a bad one too. Did Conor actually call to be interviewed? ive only seen it once so cant recall.

He was making a load of noise (not clear enough to hear what he was saying) off camera when Rogan was in the cage. Then I think Rogan said something along the lines of "I'll come and talk to you too". Then there was a long pause when Rogan and Mcgregor were off screen following Poirier's interview - plenty of time for Mcgregor to make it clear he was in no position to be interviewed.

Nice slow-mo of the teep that John Kavanagh claims did the initial damage to Mcgregor's leg:

On 7/11/2021 at 3:39 PM, David said:

Just out of curiosity, who in the lightweight division would we say Conor has no chance against? I can't think of anyone outside Khabib to be honest. At welterweight? Plenty of fighters he'd have little to no chance against. At lightweight though? I don't think the list is that long.

Also, for all his faults I don't think he's ever been one for knocking back fights. 

Going a while back in the thread here sorry but not been online.

I was more driving home the injury, I don’t mean before it. He beats most of that division before it to be honest but there will be a lot of fights he would have won previously that you probably won’t see Conor winning after that injury. 

• Paid Members

For once I’m not even gonna have a pop at Rogan for interviewing McGregor after the fight. Like others have said, he was screaming the whole way through that post-fight bit, to the point Rogan even had to turn around while he was doing the interview with Poirier to see what the fuck the commotion was. McGregor clearly had stuff to say and if Rogan would’ve left the cage without putting a microphone to his gob there’d have been backlash for that.

And besides, it wasn’t like he was concussed. I totally get why people criticise interviewing fighters after they’ve been knocked out because they’re all messed up, confused, not thinking clearly and in a lot of cases can’t even remember what happened. They’ve literally lost time. But a leg injury like this? I don’t think it’s morally wrong on Rogan’s part to interview the guy. They didn’t with Anderson Silva or Chris Weidman because they were even worse than McGregor’s and they were obviously in no state to talk. But they interviewed Jon Jones when his toe nearly came off against Chael, they interviewed Sean O’Malley while he was lying down in the Octagon after a leg injury, they interviewed Jimmy Crute recently after his leg went out against Anthony Smith, Johnny Walker after he messed his own shoulder up. There’s been numerous examples of fighters being given the mic after injuries and I don’t remember anyone saying they shouldn’t have interviewed these guys at the time. The only reason this is coming up now is because it’s Conor and it’s an attempt, once again, to absolve Conor of any responsibility for what he said. He was obviously in pain but he wasn’t writhing around screaming like Anderson was for example. He seemed more than able to talk. He just proceeded to make an even bigger cunt of himself than expected. That’s on him not Rogan or the UFC. If he’d done a normal interview and not been a great big steaming turd about the whole thing then you wouldn’t be hearing anyone criticise the decision to interview him. He’s the one who made it ugly and I don’t think it’s anything to do with the injury to his leg, it’s everything to do with the beating to his ego.

While I’m here, he’s been doing his usual tweet and delete thing again this morning. Silly shite like this.

90633-EA8-24-A5-44-ED-A4-D4-4-ECBE489-B5

The div’s an obsessed weirdo. What do you think Poirier’s doing now? Spending time with his kid and his wife, catching up for the time he lost with them while he was in camp. He tweeted a lovely photo of him and his daughter yesterday and I made the mistake of looking at the first few comments underneath it. I know. I never learn. Just bitter McGregor fans moaning about Dustin being disrespectful of the injury, how he shouldn’t accept a win like that and how his wife’s in Conor’s DMs.

And what’s Conor doing?

48-C50-B26-6-E68-4-EA9-848-A-F0-F5-DD6-F

84491853-693-D-4234-BC11-1-C776-D5-EF1-D

Tweeting that same photo of Dustin and his daughter, then ‘gonezo’ immediately after. Whatever that’s supposed to mean. Is it meant to be some kind of threat or what? 

And there’s still twats acting like Dustin’s the prick here.

Edit - looked up ‘gonezo’…

F6-F4843-F-9482-4-A66-B44-B-22950-B2-B65

Truest thing this dickhead’s said in a long time. Although posting it within seconds of the picture of Dustin’s kid is weird. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Conor's definitely having some kind of breakdown, the people around him need to take his social media away from him for a bit at the least.

I dont actually mind that they interviewed him on Saturday, it made for some compelling TV. 

23 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Conor's definitely having some kind of breakdown, the people around him need to take his social media away from him for a bit at the least.

The people around him are yes men, which is a big part of his problem. Even Kavanagh is just there to carry out the training camps McGregor asks for. There's no one in his circle who would dare tell him any home truths. If they did, they'd lose their pay check.

• Paid Members

Yeah Kavanagh’s already been dribbling on that he saw nothing to worry about in McGregor’s performance before the injury, how he was chuffed with how the fight was going and Poirier was definitely getting sparked in the second round. It might well be that this talk is all for the media but I get the impression he just doesn’t wanna rock the boat anymore and he’s probably saying the same stuff to McGregor behind the scenes. Once money like the kind McGregor brings is involved, for the people in the inner circle, even the ones who had the best intentions and weren’t yes men previously, at some point it just becomes about keeping that position and telling the cash cow what he wants to hear to ensure the cheques keep showing up. It’s not like Conor seems the most reasonable or level headed at the best of times. Kavanagh’s not gonna have any difficult conversations with him at this point. 

Thing is, you just know that those difficult conversations are being had behind his back. Kavanagh isn't the world class coach some make him out to be, but he's not an idiot, he sees the fights like the rest of us. He'll know what McGregor should have been working on for the past number of years, but at the end of the day Conor seems to do whatever he wants. 

The way it's looking it's all going to crash and burn before long, so best take what you can from the situation before he eventually Tweets or does something from which there is no way back.