Jump to content

UFC 264: Poirier vs McGregor 3 - Jul 10 🇺🇸


wandshogun09
 Share

Who wins and how?   

20 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Recommended Posts

I can't even see an argument for a 10-8 at all, their significant strikes must have been close. Even on his back Conor was landing the odd elbow and kick. No argument that Dustin won the round but that's as lightweight a 10-8 round as I've ever seen.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

I don’t begrudge Poirier gloating as if it was a knockout at all. McGregor was being a complete and utter cunt going in with bringing Poirier’s wife into it and then the “I’m gonna kill him” stuff at the weigh in. Sod him. Even then, Poirier still gave McGregor some credit in the post-fight interview before rightly calling him a dirtbag. If McGregor won the same way can you even imagine the shit him and his legion of dickriders would be spouting this morning?

Bollocks to McGregor. Mrs Poirier feels the same by the looks of it. 

AC67E897-266A-438F-BFC2-85C7475D43EA.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just on a side point, I know they are freak accidents but the amount of breaks during a fight seem to have gone up massively lately. Obviously, we've always heard it happening in training or whatever but seems to have been a right few leg breaks in the actual fight this year. Never seen anything like it in terms of how many we're getting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

I don’t begrudge Poirier gloating as if it was a knockout at all. McGregor was being a complete and utter cunt going in with bringing Poirier’s wife into it and then the “I’m gonna kill him” stuff at the weigh in. Sod him. Even then, Poirier still gave McGregor some credit in the post-fight interview before rightly calling him a dirtbag. If McGregor won the same way can you even imagine the shit him and his legion of dickriders would be spouting this morning?

Bollocks to McGregor. Mrs Poirier feels the same by the looks of it. 

AC67E897-266A-438F-BFC2-85C7475D43EA.jpeg

 

That's what I thought originally but all your doing then is just judging Poirier by McGregors low standards. 

 

I don't like seeing any fighter claim its a great or even legit win from a freak leg break tbh. Poirier had his whole family in the cage celebrating. It was daft. I think your letting your hatred of McGregor cloud your judgement, when your normally a balanced critic of MMA.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Just a shame we never got a proper resolution to this. Oddly, this may work out better for all concerned. Poirier is getting a title shot next and there is a very good chance, if he wins, it will be him v McGregor for the title. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
37 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I don't like seeing any fighter claim its a great or even legit win from a freak leg break tbh. Poirier had his whole family in the cage celebrating. It was daft.

Dustin also said he hoped Conor got back home to his family safe and gave credit for him stinging him with a punch early on. To be honest, I don’t hold much against fighters for how the act in the immediate moments after a fight ends. Unless it’s something really extreme. Dustin had to listen to all kinds of crap going into this one. Ever since the first fight ended. It’s been 6 months of people insinuating he only won last time because McGregor wasn’t hungry anymore and all that wank. Then it sounds like McGregor dicked them about with the charity donation which would’ve added to the anger. Then McGregor carried on like an even bigger helmet throughout the whole buildup, finally culminating in the “YER WOIFE’S MESSAGING ME” shite. Which I’m sure Dustin saw for what it was but why even bring his wife into it? He’s absolute scum. On top of all that, his fans were even more overbearing this time. With all that taken into account, I can forgive a man being happy when it’s all over (for now, at least) and he’s come out of it healthy, richer, with a W and the possibility of yet another McGregor payday down the line. I’m sure it was post-fight relief more than anything. Like Weidman got a load of shite for celebrating after Anderson Silva broke his leg but he clearly didn’t realise the severity of what happened until a few moments later and there’s photos of him consoling Anderson and looking genuinely concerned and shaken up once he did calm down and realise how bad it was. It’s easy for us to judge sat safely on the sofa but the mix of adrenaline, emotion, anger, happiness, relief and all manner of feelings in the first minute or so after a fight ends must be overwhelming. In the same vein, I’m not even gonna bash McGregor for his little classless outburst while he was sat holding his wonky leg at the end there. Like I said, emotions are high in the aftermath of a fight like this and the frustration of how the fight ended would’ve sucked. It’s his comments and how he was acting before the fight which I give him more shit for because they were calculated and weren’t done in the heat of the moment. 

37 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I think your letting your hatred of McGregor cloud your judgement, when your normally a balanced critic of MMA.

I’m just a fan like you or anyone else on here. I don’t think I know more or less than anyone and I’ve got my favourites and least favourites like anyone else. I can separate my dislike of a fighter usually though. I’ve given McGregor credit as a fighter plenty of times. Just like I have with Frank Mir, Jon Jones, Colby Covington, Floyd Mayweather and so on. I just don’t see why Poirier should get shit or be painted as a prick for letting his emotions out in the immediate fallout of a grudge match, when he’s been on the receiving end of all sorts of dopey talk and some right out of order crap for months now. Poirier’s been all class throughout this whole saga. I’m not gonna hold it against him for sticking a big middle finger up now. 

Edited by wandshogun09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FUM said:

Just on a side point, I know they are freak accidents but the amount of breaks during a fight seem to have gone up massively lately. Obviously, we've always heard it happening in training or whatever but seems to have been a right few leg breaks in the actual fight this year. Never seen anything like it in terms of how many we're getting.

Probably a by-product of calf kicks being the current trendy technique. You stand a bigger chance of going shin to shin when you're walloping the leg kicks below the knee.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Dustin also said he hoped Conor got back home to his family safe and gave credit for him stinging him with a punch early on. To be honest, I don’t hold much against fighters for how the act in the immediate moments after a fight ends. Unless it’s something really extreme. Dustin had to listen to all kinds of crap going into this one. Ever since the first fight ended. It’s been 6 months of people insinuating he only won last time because McGregor wasn’t hungry anymore and all that wank. Then it sounds like McGregor dicked them about with the charity donation which would’ve added to the anger. Then McGregor carried on like an even bigger helmet throughout the whole buildup, finally culminating in the “YER WOIFE’S MESSAGING ME” shite. Which I’m sure Dustin saw for what it was but why even bring his wife into it? He’s absolute scum. On top of all that, his fans were even more overbearing this time. With all that taken into account, I can forgive a man being happy when it’s all over (for now, at least) and he’s come out of it healthy, richer, with a W and the possibility of yet another McGregor payday down the line. I’m sure it was post-fight relief more than anything. Like Weidman got a load of shite for celebrating after Anderson Silva broke his leg but he clearly didn’t realise the severity of what happened until a few moments later and there’s photos of him consoling Anderson and looking genuinely concerned and shaken up once he did calm down and realise how bad it was. It’s easy for us to judge sat safely on the sofa but the mix of adrenaline, emotion, anger, happiness, relief and all manner of feelings in the first minute or so after a fight ends must be overwhelming. In the same vein, I’m not even gonna bash McGregor for his little classless outburst while he was sat holding his wonky leg at the end there. Like I said, emotions are high in the aftermath of a fight like this and the frustration of how the fight ended would’ve sucked. It’s his comments and how he was acting before the fight which I give him more shit for because they were calculated and weren’t done in the heat of the moment. 

I’m just a fan like you or anyone else on here. I don’t think I know more or less than anyone and I’ve got my favourites and least favourites like anyone else. I can separate my dislike of a fighter usually though. I’ve given McGregor credit as a fighter plenty of times. Just like I have with Frank Mir, Jon Jones, Colby Covington, Floyd Mayweather and so on. I just don’t see why Poirier should get shit or be painted as a prick for letting his emotions out in the immediate fallout of a grudge match, when he’s been on the receiving end of all sorts of dopey talk and some right out of order crap for months now. Poirier’s been all class throughout this whole saga. I’m not gonna hold it against him for sticking a big middle finger up now. 

 

As a neutral I hated Weidmans intial response against Silva and I didn't like Poiriers reaction last night either. I'm not even sure he did, he looked confused. He seemed relieved but second guessing with what he should be doing. He got the W in very odd cicumstances. Looking around sheepish, should I talk shit or not ? When your opponent breaks thier leg your not really supposed to act the Big One but he did so anyway by imitating his strut, shouting at him when down and then inviting your whole family in the ring to shout at him but he did it all anyway. 

 

For me if you get a lucky win of a leg break. Say what it was, try and shut up an annoyed crowd and move on. Uriah Hall not known as a talker gave a fantastic interview when it happened to him.  Different circumstances but the right way to act.

 

You have alot of excuses for Poirier because McGregor is a dickhead but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Poirier for me doesn't get a free pass for being a dick too and it should be fine to point that out and not handwave it away as nothing.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Dustin was THE MAN in that post-fight interview. "Karma's not a bitch, it's a mirror." Superstar performance. Calling Conor out for exactly what he is and for getting exactly what he deserved. Fuck Conor. What a tragic figure, left screaming on the floor, slagging off people's wives and talking about his opponent, "diving to close the distance," when it was actually Conor who clinched first when Poirier caught him with a flurry. It's almost Shakespearean to see what Conor has become. Guy had it all, let it all go to his head, let it all go up his nose, and is left bitter and angry on the floor as the sport passes him by. I couldn't have scripted it better. I look forward to Conor coming back, still talking like he  has a chance, and then losing one final time. Ideally by clean KO. Because let's be real. Fuck all this, "Dustin wins nine out of ten times," talk. Dustin wins ten out of ten.

Edited by Supremo
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

For me if you get a lucky win of a leg break. Say what it was, try and shut up an annoyed crowd and move on. Uriah Hall not known as a talker gave a fantastic interview when it happened to him.  Different circumstances but the right way to act.

The difference there is there was zero bad blood between Hall and Weidman. There wasn’t the same level of emotion going in, so naturally the emotions weren’t as extreme post-fight. Not every fight is gonna be the same and you can’t expect uniform responses to situations like this from different fighters. Hall hadn’t been being bombarded with shite from Weidman for months going in or having stuff said about his Mrs. And again, once he’d calmed down, Poirier gave McGregor his due for the shots he landed and wished him a safe trip home. That’s more than can be said for McGregor who showed not a bit of anything resembling class.

23 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

You have alot of excuses for Poirier because McGregor is a dickhead but I don't think two wrongs make a right. Poirier for me doesn't get a free pass for being a dick too and it should be fine to point that out and not handwave it away as nothing.

I don’t need to make excuses for Poirier. He’s a grown man. It’s fine for you to point it out. I’m just saying any fighter acting on emotions post-fight, to a point, isn’t something we can really judge too harshly. Obviously stuff like Paul Daley smacking Koscheck after the fight is too far but you’re acting like Poirier did some unspeakable crime when it wasn’t much of anything really. McGregor was calling Poirier’s wife a ho and telling her to DM him and Poirier said in another interview that McGregor was even doing gun gestures and saying he was gonna kill Dustin while he was sat on his arse holding his leg after the fight. But we’re moaning about Poirier mimicking his strut? What are we doing here? I’m not handwaving or dismissing anything. I’m just baffled as to why you seem to want to label Poirier a cunt from here on in over something of nothing in the grand scheme of things, that happened in the immediate aftermath of a grudge match. Especially when it’s not typical of Poirier. For him to go on like that it’s probably because he’d been wound up and provoked through the whole buildup. If he’d shown dickhead tendencies previously I’d say fair enough. But he’s always seemed sound and respectful. So yeah, I am going to give him a pass. 

Edited by wandshogun09
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm not saying he did some unspeakable crime or calling him a cunt am I ? Your putting words in my mouth. I'm just saying I didn't like how he acted at the finish and could have handled it better. 

 

Of course McGregor was a fucking idiot during the build up that's what he does.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

‘That’s what he does’ isn’t an explainer though, it’s just added context to the - now plainly true - idea that he’s a fucking horrible little dickhead, who confirms all the worst stereotypes of what a ‘fighter’ is.

He tried to warn us, to be fair. Even when he was still flavour of the month he was calling people Nazi’s and what not.

Prick. Hope he gets slept next time, shits himself and we never see him again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
41 minutes ago, Supremo said:

talking about his opponent, "diving to close the distance," when it was actually Conor who clinched first when Poirier caught him with a flurry. 

Conor before the fight: First one to shoot is a dusty bitch.

Conor in the fight: 

AE544A5D-FA95-4919-A3DD-1C009E17117B.gif
 

5 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

I'm not saying he did some unspeakable crime or calling him a cunt am I ? Your putting words in my mouth. I'm just saying I didn't like how he acted at the finish and could have handled it better. 

Alright, you didn’t say cunt. You said dick. My point still stands. You’re obviously entitled to not like the way it was handled. Fair enough. I’m just saying I think anyone complaining about Dustin’s post-fight bit is overreacting. When someone carries on how McGregor does, you have to expect this when bad fortune befalls him. 

8 minutes ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

Of course McGregor was a fucking idiot during the build up that's what he does.

Exactly. Don’t you think that played a massive part in Poirier rubbing his nose in it after the fight? 

This ‘code of honour’ about injuries which Poirier was supposed to uphold can fuck off as well, to be honest. McGregor’s slagged fighters off for years for pulling out of fights with legitimate injuries and his fans lapped it up and joined in calling those fighters pussies and whatnot. Aldo with the rib injury the first time they were scheduled to fight, Dos Anjos with the broken foot in 2016. Even this week, McGregor’s been repeating the “bruised toe” thing at RDA. But now McGregor’s the one hurt, everyone’s supposed to bow and show respect? Nah. If McGregor had behaved the way he did going into the last fight and Poirier mocked him afterwards, I could see your point. But all bets were off the second he started with the shit about Poirier’s wife for me. Trash talk is fair game but when you start bringing families into it you kind of lose the moral high ground. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Conor before the fight: First one to shoot is a dusty bitch.

Conor in the fight: 

AE544A5D-FA95-4919-A3DD-1C009E17117B.gif
 

Alright, you didn’t say cunt. You said dick. My point still stands. You’re obviously entitled to not like the way it was handled. Fair enough. I’m just saying I think anyone complaining about Dustin’s post-fight bit is overreacting. When someone carries on how McGregor does, you have to expect this when bad fortune befalls him. 

Exactly. Don’t you think that played a massive part in Poirier rubbing his nose in it after the fight? 

This ‘code of honour’ about injuries which Poirier was supposed to uphold can fuck off as well, to be honest. McGregor’s slagged fighters off for years for pulling out of fights with legitimate injuries and his fans lapped it up and joined in calling those fighters pussies and whatnot. Aldo with the rib injury the first time they were scheduled to fight, Dos Anjos with the broken foot in 2016. Even this week, McGregor’s been repeating the “bruised toe” thing at RDA. But now McGregor’s the one hurt, everyone’s supposed to bow and show respect? Nah. If McGregor had behaved the way he did going into the last fight and Poirier mocked him afterwards, I could see your point. But all bets were off the second he started with the shit about Poirier’s wife for me. Trash talk is fair game but when you start bringing families into it you kind of lose the moral high ground. 

 

I said he was "being a dick" with his reaction. I dont think thats anyway near the same as saying someone is a cunt.

 

Again I go back to my original point that I don't think two wrongs make a right and your hatred of McGregor clouds the issue for you. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...