UFC Vegas: Rozenstruik vs Sakai - Jun 5 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Prelims are just kicking off on Fight Pass. As long as these two win I’ll be happy. 

D5F84E52-DF7C-46B1-A6B2-7CB9FF2D3478.jpeg

And here’s a snap of my setup for watching this and the Boxing on BT;

A84F2348-15E6-4C23-8A9F-CA56AB1EC863.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Wish I checked this thread earlier now, series link must have went to fuck with there being no show last week 😕. Missed the first hour and fifteen of the TV prelims before realising they were on early. 

• Paid Members

Not seen anything other than the Mason Jones fight yet, but that was a tough break. Clearly on his way to his first UFC win and it gets ruled a no contest for an eye poke (though it was a bad one). Patrick is about as wild and uncoordinated fighter as there is in the UFC, almost like hes been left behind from a bygone era, what a weird fella. All that said, i thought the time between the poke and waving it off was super fast, Patrick wasnt given much time was he?

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Mixed bag of a show. Bit of a slog at times but the good was really good.

A2DE7F7D-4A65-4E6A-B832-A4B9CFE1DE6E.gif

Chuffed to see Rozenstruik back to winning ways. He needed something like this coming off that 5 round shutout against Gane. Sakai’s a tough fucker as well. It took Overeem into the 5th round to get him out of there and nobody had stopped him before that. Rozey got it done in a round, just about. 4:59 of the first. He’s got a knack for that. The Overeem lip splitting finish was in the dying seconds of their fight as well. You can’t slack off for a second against him. Didn’t even look anything that powerful either, but he clipped him twice on the chin and then with a right on the temple. The placement more than the power seemed to be what did it.

Tybura vs Harris was a downer. Nothing even against Tybura, but I think everyone’s been rooting for Walt Harris to get a win since the tragedy with his daughter. He started typically well and had Tybura hanging on for a minute as well. I really thought he was gonna do it. But Tybura’s durable and experienced and was able to weather it and take over. Got to hand it to him. Harris isn’t that good but he’s as dangerous as almost anyone in the division in that first minute or two. For Tybura to go from badly rocked to then finishing Harris later that same round just tells you he’s made of tough stuff.

What next? Rozenstruik vs Tybura? Seems like the obvious matchup to make. 

Dolidze vs Staropoli was cack. Wasn’t expecting this to be so lacklustre, to be honest. I’ve quite enjoyed watching Staropoli in the past. This just wasn’t good though. Didn’t help that it followed this...

2F2C42C7-E0BB-4FF3-83AF-54DA93092DDC.gif

Santiago Ponzinibbio vs Miguel Baeza might just be my FOTY so far. I saw some saying the same on Twitter, and others going ‘FOTY? Some of you have short memories’ type stuff. But name me a fight so far this year that’s head and shoulders the #1. We haven’t had a clear standout this year like we did in 2020 with Zhang vs Jedrzejczyk. We’ve had some really good fights like Prochazka vs Reyes, Daley vs Homasi, Molina vs Aoriqileng, Munhoz vs Rivera 2 etc. But nothing you’d say is the nailed on best. This is either FOTY so far for me, or it’s right up there. 

Anyway, you kind of knew that if this went any decent length of time it’d be something like this, it was my ‘one to watch’ for a reason. But I wasn’t sure Baeza had this type of battle in him just because he hadn’t had to show it until now. I expected a fun fight, it was better than I thought. If only we had 2 more rounds of this. Ponz was fired up as fuck post-fight as well. Had no idea his staph infection was so severe but it makes sense now why he was gone so long. 

Rodrigues vs Todorovic was a good ruck. Although how it went the distance I don’t know. They were throwing with some serious heat but they just wouldn’t drop. Obama looked sharp, as you’d expect given he’d just fought not long before this. I’m with Bisping though, I want to see the birth certificate. He looks well haggard for 29. Looking forward to seeing more of him though. 

Montana De La Rosa had her best showing in the UFC to date, for me. Her fights usually come and go and I’ve forgotten them the second they’re over but this was a strong performance and she really went for the kill with the ground and pound in the second. Don’t see her going much further though, which is a shame because she seems nice enough. But I just think this is about her ceiling. She’ll trade wins and losses at this level for years but the second she steps up to that contender mix, it’s Ls all the way. 

Gutted about Mason Jones. To end on an eye poke like that was just shite. Especially coming off the loss in his debut. Worst thing was he was looking really fucking good before that, against a tricky and awkward opponent, and appeared to be well on his way to victory. 

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

Not seen anything other than the Mason Jones fight yet, but that was a tough break. Clearly on his way to his first UFC win and it gets ruled a no contest for an eye poke (though it was a bad one). Patrick is about as wild and uncoordinated fighter as there is in the UFC, almost like hes been left behind from a bygone era, what a weird fella. All that said, i thought the time between the poke and waving it off was super fast, Patrick wasnt given much time was he?

It was similar with the Trinaldo vs Salikhov fight. Salikhov got poked pretty bad, he got a bit more time than Patrick but the doctor was still rushing him the whole time. Thankfully he was able to continue, unlike Patrick. But even while Salikhov was trying to recover, he actually told the doctor he just needed a bit more time and 10 seconds later the doc’s badgering him again. What’s the rule on eye pokes now. I know you never used to get 5 minutes to recover like you do with bollock shots. Is that still the case? And if so, why? Obviously a strike to the balls fucking sucks and is ungodly painful but when you’re talking eyes and potential long term damage, surely they need to be giving these guys as much time as possible.

I think the difference with the length of time Patrick and Salikhov were given was mostly down to Patrick indicating he couldn’t see though. That’s why the ref was quicker to just call it off, I think. No doubt we’ll be hearing Rogan drone on about this now and how something needs to be done. We’ve been hearing it as long as I’ve been a fan and nothing ever gets done. 

Manon Fiorot continues to look like a real potential problem.

CA71D0A5-8610-4768-9686-781438BB179C.gif

Of course, it wasn’t helped that Ricci was taking the fight on short notice and was tiny compared to Fiorot, who’s fucking massive anyway for a Flyweight. Seriously, I don’t know how she makes the weight but if she can keep doing it without it hindering her performance, she could be a real issue. It’s still early days, she almost certainly won’t be able to just rush her opponents as she goes up in levels, but I’ll definitely be tuning in for every fight. You just don’t typically see 125lb women coming in and busting opponents up like this. 

Sean Woodson had another fun fight with Zalal. He’s consistently delivering on the prelims in fight quality, win or lose. Funny looking sod though. His build unsettles me. Latifi fight was a bit crap, and I’m not sure I agreed with him getting the nod. 

Bit sad to see Jordan Leavitt lose his 0 on Fight Pass though. 

E77-D3-F43-022-C-4-ECC-8-A5-D-CE7-BC07-F

🌈🌈🌈

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

Tanner Boser got done dirty by the judges. The HW division constantly gets stick for being shallow and generally wank but I reckon we're in a good time for it. 

As much shit as Rogan gets Dominic Cruz is fucking horrible. The enthusiasm of a station platform announcement.

I cant be the only one who thought that he was happy to take the no contest after that eye poke? It was only  a matter of time before he was finished, he honestly look relived he got poked in the eye and couldn't say quick enough he couldn't see , i felt he knew exactly what he was doing

Yeah, Cruz had a mare on this show I thought. Him and Bisping are not a good team. Zero chemistry. During the Dolidze vs Staropoli snoozefest, where there was a waistlock for minutes on end and Bisping was getting pissed off, Cruz compared it to Khabib, somehow not seeing how it wasnt the same. Felder is way better than Cruz with Bisping.

• Paid Members

I’ve actually really grown to like the combination of Brendan Fitzgerald, Bisping and Felder. I think Bisping’s best with those two. I wasn’t a fan of Bisping and DC together whenever that was. They spent too much time trying to out funny each other for me. And like you say, Bisping and Cruz doesn’t really work. They’re just too opposite. I don’t like Cruz with anyone though, to be honest. His whiny, nasally voice grates on me, he’s got no personality or charisma about him and even when the others try to be lightheaded he’s such a stick in the mud about it. And he’s bland as fuck. If dry Ryvita was a UFC commentator.

Oh while I’m here, Alan Patrick bald patch is well weird. 

FD07A1D2-DA34-4711-8C6B-4691E33F8657.jpeg

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

hadnt seen anyone mention it, but Tom Breese was pulled from his fight 10 minutes before they were due to walkout Saturday. Breese apparently struggles terribly with nerves and has panic attacks. He once ran away from a fighter hotel and went home instead of fighting.

The UFC have since removed him from their testing pool.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2021/06/ufc-fight-night-189-tom-breese-vs-antonio-arroyo-pulled-from-card-last-minute/amp

Think its time Tom Breese looked for a new job.