22 hours ago, David said:

I know this may (will) come back to bite me on the arse, but Scotland are looking pretty decent in the build up to this tournament. Can we make it through the group stage, Garth? I believe we can, Ken.

Yeah, I think we could do OK. I have predicted our group to be WLD (win vs Czechs, loss vs England and draw with Croatia) which would probably be enough to see us through. It never works out like that though, and who knows - perhaps we could spring the bloodiest nose of all! As parochial as it may seem, I would sacrifice the other two games to beat England. Yes - we're still like that.

Clarke seems to have a plan and we're never going to win awards for attractive football, but I think this Scotland team could cause problems for anyone on their day. The more I think about it, I think we have to play with Dykes up front. I have never been a great fan of him, but what he adds to the set up is undeniable and he seems to be one of those players who does his best work at international level. Our midfield is good but the defence still worries me. If I was picking the team, I would go:

Marshall; O'Donnell, McTominay, Tierney, Robertson; McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong; Forrest, Dykes, Adams

I would probably be alright with trusting Declan Gallagher to play at centre half after his heroics in Belgrade, but for me, McTominay would give us real stability there. It may be the case that he is the ideal third man in midfield with McGinn and McGregor, though. I would actually be inclined to play Turnbull instead of Armstrong, but I think Armstrong's energy, goal threat and experience would cause me to bottle it. Christie is also an option but for all his workrate, I think there are better players.

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My favourite part was when the transmission went wonky and we lost Robbie Savage for a few minutes.

Well, that's alright, innit? The UKs finest team does it again

Posted Images

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Perhaps Lembit was a secret Tord Grip and advising during Euro 2004. 

Reckon they were comparing notes of their conquests with 1990s weather girls?

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

Wait, what's this story??

On 3/15/2019 at 11:22 AM, Carbomb said:

Was cock-blocked by Lembit Opik playing a harmonica. 

Had gone to this bar where there was live music, a guy doing a set on a piano. Was chatting to this woman I'd met before, and we were getting on pretty well. All of a sudden, Lembit Opik comes swanning in, hears the guy playing blues, whips out a harmonica from his pocket, and starts playing along, going all around the room as he plays. Jumps in between me and the lady, effectively "serenades" her briefly, before going off again. Mood destroyed, we effectively carry on chatting like mates and I'm unable to recapture the flirty atmosphere.

I'd have been massively pissed off if it wasn't so surreal.

Other shitty claim to fame (and many on here will know): wearing a super-cool shirt on The Chase.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

In hindsight, I'm sorry to admit that I talked a pissed up but pretty handy mate of mine out of sparking Lembit Opik at the 2003 National Eisteddfod in Powys. He was the local MP at the time but randomly decided to rock up at the young people's music festival type thing.

Fuck knows what he was doing there surrounded by teens and early 20 year olds. Probably why my mate wanted to smack him one to be fair, he was a prophet.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members

Not going to lie, I am bitter as fuck that England and Scotland are playing home matches yet Wales have to travel to a county bordering fucking Iran for two of their group matches and then Italy away in Rome.

• Paid Members

To keep me occupied during England matches, I was thinking of doing a prediction tournament if enough people are interested.

Submit your guesses for each round by a set date; 1 point for the correct outcome of each game, 3 for the correct result. Bonus points available by picking one player in each round and for every goal they score, you get 2 points.

Can kick it off from the second round of games so it’s not a mad rush.

Winner gets bragging rights and probably some kind of Corkhill-related prize.

If more than, I don’t know, 10 people fancy it I’ll sort it at the weekend. Will do a separate thread so not to clog this one.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Not going to lie, I am bitter as fuck that England and Scotland are playing home matches yet Wales have to travel to a county bordering fucking Iran for two of their group matches and then Italy away in Rome.

It is an absolute piss take, isn't it?

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

I'm not defending it, but keeping England fans from travelling abroad is probably a saving grace to be honest.

It's a massive shame that travel isn't as widespread as it should be (rightly at the moment) as I'm sure a trip for fans to see Wales in Italy would've been fantastic.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

It's a massive shame that travel isn't as widespread as it should be (rightly at the moment) as I'm sure a trip for fans to see Wales in Italy would've been fantastic.

I had flights and tickets sorted for the Baku and Rome games (for June 2020) but I think all but about 200 Welsh fans have sent them back. Its just not feasible with the testing, extra costs and hoops you have to jump through. Plus Italy won't accept arrivals from Azerbaijan anyway.

Despite the fact it wouldn't come close to France 2016 (best and most costly month of my life) there's still a lot of FOMO envy going on this week.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Paid Members
5 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Serves you all right for preferring rugby tbf

• Moderators
Posted (edited)
On 6/9/2021 at 8:12 PM, PunkStep said:

Serves you all right for preferring rugby tbf

Not actually true. Football Nation on iPlayer puts that myth to bed. 

Wrexham, pre takeover, were getting about 4500 per game. More than the rugby teams in the Pro However Many It Is Now. Swansea and Cardiff far more too. 

The majority of people in Wales who fill the millennium for six nations games and the like think Neil Jenkins is still playing. 

Edited by PowerButchi