Can they cut away from the feed whenever they like? I wasn’t sure if they were obliged to stay with the feed while the game was going and then go back to the respective studio at half time? Someone I know in Amsterdam said they didn’t cut away either. As with a lot of things, UEFA are to blame. 

I don't put the blame on the Beeb, it was the fault of the UEFA TV director. They were controlling the camera cuts. I am willing to bet that in the broadcasting contract that the broadcaster must show the live feed until instructed by the UEFA director. 

Anywho they should give Simon Kjaer Player of the Tournament right now. Heroic actions by the Danish captain.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/denmark-kjaer-christian-eriksen-cpr-24306820.amp

Aware that for two posts in a row I've now used "Twitter" as a source but I've read that the Danish coverage cut away to only aerial shots as soon as it transpired that what was transpiring was more than your typical football injury. 

In my head, I'm rationalising it as it was the UEFA feed which was choosing where the cameras were pointed but if the BBC did have power to cut away, they should definitely have done it sooner. As soon as the first shot of Eriksen getting the CPR, they should have gone straight back to studio or to crowd/aerial shots or whatever. 

Really though, I don't think it's the time to be throwing blame about this stuff right now, when really I can't feel any anger or nuance when I'm so relieved that the man is still alive. It reminded me too much of the footage of Piermario Morosini and Patrick Ekeng. Honestly thought that Christian Erikson died today but he scored the most important winner imaginable. That should be the story right now. 

Edited by SpiritOfTheForest

• Paid Members

Decent, professional overall performance that.

Kane had a bit of a shocker, just couldn't get into it, but that's a positive, as we really don't have to rely on him.

Move on to Scotland, can see a different side getting minutes in that game.

• Paid Members

Calvin Philips was brilliant. When people on Twitter were moaning that Southgate had picked two defensive midfielders (#SouthgateOut was trending before the game started ffs), Philips ends up playing with freedom to roam and England benefited from it. Delighted that Sterling got the winner, he no longer has that '0 goals in major tournaments' stat hanging over him. 

I also loved the fact that he had the chance to square it to Kane at one point and chose not to 😂

• Paid Members

Lineker and Ferdinand wanking on like England had just put in some Total Football-esque demolition of Croatia when in reality they created almost nothing against a team of zimmer frame artists. And it's only the first fucking game.

Looking forward to the tournament starting properly tomorrow with Poland playing. I hope Sousa doesn't stick Zielinski out wide, he always works best for Torino through the centre.

Cracking game between the Netherlands and Ukraine last night. Fast-paced and attacking from the start with some really good goals, too. 

As an adopted Czech, I will be cheering them on against the Scots later. Seems only fair as the Scots seem to outright hate England, and the local village team I play for gave me a replica Czech national team shirt for the tournament, which was nice. 

It's weird over here, because nobody really seems to care that much. It might be different in Prague, but people care much more about hockey, tennis and other sports. I don't think they have many expectations for the Euros, especially since it's a tough group. 

They're a decent enough team though and should be hard to break down. Look out for Adam Hlozek. He's only 18 but he's been a Sparta regular for a few years and has a lot of talent. Probably the most exciting Czech prospect since a young Rosicky. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

Really enjoyed North Macedonia v Austria yesterday, it was basically attack v defence but I really hoped the Macedonians could hang on for the draw. Great to see Goran Pandev finally grace a major tournament, even at the age of 37.

Thought we were a bit lucky to get a draw on Saturday, and was a combination of us not playing to our best and the Swiss being better than I gave them credit for. Hell of a thing when our keeper hasn't played a league game for four years and the bloke who provided the assist can't even get into Luton's first team.

Fucking love Nic Parry (of Reslo fame) on commentary, and I bet the only one working on the tournament whose day job is a crown court judge.

Edited by garynysmon