UFC Vegas: Font vs Garbrandt - May 22 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Garbrandt vs Marlon Moraes could be fun. Probably doesn’t get out of the first round either way but it’d be exciting however long it goes. I could see them throwing Garbrandt in with Sean O’Malley later in the year actually if Suga gets by Louis Smolka in July. There’s still some fun fights to make.

Rob Font looked class last night. Really strong showing. Had a feeling his jab would cause Cody some issues but the gap in overall striking technique between the two was even more than I thought. Cody was always dangerous, as expected, so that kept it interesting. He was in the fight and had his moments. But it became apparent during the middle rounds that he probably wasn’t going to win the points game. Problem was, Font was always gonna be tricky to catch clean and put away. Good fight, better performance from Font. Like Zebra, I’m struggling to think of where he goes next though. He deserves another big fight, a name or something. It’s just been announced that Aldo’s fighting Pedro Munhoz next, which is a banger. Edgar’s coming off that bad knockout from Sandhagen. Maybe Dominick Cruz? He’s not booked, is he?

Never thought I’d say it but you know what? Give Carla Esparza a title shot. As much as I hate admitting it, she’s earned it. 5 wins in a row, already has a win over the current champ and she’s just dominated and stopped a woman who’d gone unbeaten for over a decade.

6-EC58594-33-E4-4528-8-B62-0-FD57-A2-A39

She made a right mess of Yan. The kind of performance Esparza needed. Oddly, I read something earlier that Dana’s in two minds whether to give Esparza the shot or do Namajunas vs Zhang 2. That’s crackers to me. Zhang got sat down by a headkick inside a round. There was no controversy and it’s not like she was some long time champion who’d kind of deserve to run it back on the strength of their legacy. I can’t stand Esparza but she should get the shot. If she’d squeaked out another split decision here I’d maybe understand being reluctant to do it but she messed Yan up. 

Vanderaa vs Tafa was one of those guilty pleasure Heavyweight slugfests. Not pretty but so entertaining to watch. Tafa’s not really cut out for the UFC level but I hope they keep him around. He’s nearly always in these fun scraps. As said, it was crazy how much Vanderaa bled from that little cut.

6-E4-FFDA4-DB0-A-4-CD9-9-C47-DC3-A88-CC3

All that from a 5p sized cut.

Hermansson vs Shahbazyan was good. I had a feeling Hermansson was gonna prove a harsh rebound fight but Shahbazyan was giving him hell early on. Hermansson was tough and experienced enough to weather it though and, like against Brunson, Shahbazyan kind of faded as it went on and Hermansson was able to take over and dominate on the ground.

C1783447-925F-4B2A-8A90-AEE710855D89.gif

I hope they scale back Shahbazyan’s opposition now. I said it before but I was scratching my head a bit when he was given this fight right after losing to Brunson. This was probably the worst possible matchup for him. I thought he looked improved, to be fair, he just needed more time and a step back in competition. Liked Hermansson’s post-fight interview. And I really liked his call outs for either Whittaker or the Brunson vs Till winner. I’d like to see all of those fights down the line. 

Rothwell vs Barnett was alright as well. Not a great fight but wasn’t boring. Again, it was a tough introduction for Barnett and he didn’t look too good here. Fair play to Rothwell, he got the job done. 

Bruno Silva scored a sweet one minute knockout on the prelims.

8E31E861-300C-41F9-8083-335AFE2AC918.gif

Good stuff. It’s funny, he’s been in the UFC since 2019 and couldn’t catch a break to save his life. A no contest followed by 2 losses. Now all of a sudden he’s coming off back-to-back knockout wins and got POTN bonuses for both. 2021’s his year.

Oh and this escape in the curtain jerker was class...

ECEBBE4B-9899-46F2-8726-B40D556184D3.gif

Now can you dig that, SUCKAAAA! 

On 5/22/2021 at 7:35 AM, Egg Shen said:

Related to Garbrandt being a Pitbull breeder, he spoke about it briefly at the presser and it sounded like he treats the dogs well.

He has their fucking ears cut in half. Let's hope you're never called up for jury duty or asked to sit on an oversight board! 

3 hours ago, David said:

He has their fucking ears cut in half. Let's hope you're never called up for jury duty or asked to sit on an oversight board! 

Did you not read Ebb's follow up post where he admitted to having no knowledge about the process or was highlighting half an opening sentence more appropriate for your one liner?

8 minutes ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Did you not read Ebb's follow up post where he admitted to having no knowledge about the process or was highlighting half an opening sentence more appropriate for your one liner?

No knowledge about the process? I have no real knowledge about the process either, but I kinda realised from the get-go that cutting a dogs ears to make them "look badass" is probably not to be filed under "treating the dog well."

It's not rocket science.