Boxing: Chisora vs. Parker (May 1st) 🇬🇧 🇳🇿

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I dont buy that it was a calculated publicity stunt, that makes no sense. They televise the weigh-in's specifically to drum up interest and get some PPV sales. To televise it then have the primary main event fighters 'im not fighting, im off home", then say Buy it now for £19.95 makes zero sense. Eddie Hearn and Sky probably shit a brick.

Chisora is just an incredibly hard man to deal with.

• Paid Members

I don’t think there’d have been anything calculated about it. Maybe more just an attempt to get people talking about this show at all, because there’s been very little buzz about it (the main event especially) from what I’ve seen. It’s definitely got people talking a bit more but certainly not in a way that’s going to make people want to see the fight more or be willing to pay for it.

You’re probably right though. It doesn’t make sense which is why it baffled me. Chisora’s a weird one, you never know what mood he’s in or what’s going to send him into a huff. 

• Paid Members

This question is going to cause some eye-rolling, but can anyone tell me why Chisora is still considered to be worth watching, and Dillian Whyte considered to be a hype-job, when Chisora has ten losses on his record, with few wins over outright elites, and Whyte has only two losses on his record, and one of them avenged?

3 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

This question is going to cause some eye-rolling, but can anyone tell me why Chisora is still considered to be worth watching, and Dillian Whyte considered to be a hype-job, when Chisora has ten losses on his record, with few wins over outright elites, and Whyte has only two losses on his record, and one of them avenged?

People generally love heavyweights. 

And Del Boy is a big personality who has been around for yonks.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Whyte is considered a hype job? he's widely seen as being the 4th or 5th best heavyweight in the world depending on who you ask.

Chisora's lost his fair share, but he's been in so many big fights over the years now hes just established as one of the most popular fighters in the country, not the best, but easily one of the most popular. That said, i dont agree that this is on PPV despite me liking the fight/card.

Adam Smith went through most of his greatest hits during round 10 of Taylor vs Jonas:

- "Great advert for women's boxing"

- "We'd like to see them do it again"

- "Great respect between the two" 

Although he did save his "great family men" line for the main event. 

• Paid Members

One of the best things about Matchroom boxing moving from Sky will be the removal of Adam Smith from the commentary booth. What a fanny.

Chisora/Parker was decent! I thought the early knockdown was gonna swing it towards Chisora on the cards or even make it a draw but i was glad Parker got the nod. Gruelling fight.

Taylor/Jonas was brilliant. 10 rounds of action. Taylor's late surge and bursts of punches were the difference but this was excellent.

Eubank Jr. was a bit of a weird one. At time he didnt even seem like the same fighter but we probably should have seen this as a bit of a fight for him to try some stuff out. Marcus Morrison did himself proud though in defeat.

As for James Tennyson, well what a disaster.

Anyone else find it weird that Eddie Hearn was absent from the majority of the broadcast, i dont think i saw him once.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Adam Smith went through most of his greatest hits during round 10 of Taylor vs Jonas:

- "Great advert for women's boxing"

- "We'd like to see them do it again"

- "Great respect between the two" 

Although he did save his "great family men" line for the main event. 

A8B007A4-726C-45D1-8312-88D60E397D41.png

Not a bad show. Still wouldn’t have paid £20 for it but not bad. Chisora vs Parker was a bit better than I expected. Taylor vs Jonas was the highlight of the show for me. Really enjoyed that one. Tennyson got wrecked didn’t he? Which makes Jonnny Nelson’s comments before that he’d beat Tank Davis even more hilarious in hindsight.

And Eubank, I don’t know, he’s clearly got some skills but it never feels like he’s being himself. First he was copying his old man, then he trained with Mayweather and went through a phase of trying to be him, now he’s with Roy Jones and it seemed last night like he was mimicking him at times and I didn’t think it really fit. It worked out for him against Morrison but if he thinks he’s gonna do that against someone like Golovkin, I can’t see it ending well for him. He’s like a chameleon in Boxing gloves.

Glad Campbell Hatton got another win. Already seeing a lot of negativity on him. People saying stuff like ‘he’s not his dad, no potential there, area level at best’. He’s 19. It was his second fight. And it seems like twats want him to fail already. He hasn’t blown me away either in his first couple of fights and maybe he won’t go far but Christ, give him chance. He’s just started. You can’t look at a 19 year old’s first 2 fights and just decide they’ll never amount to anything. Maybe he won’t, maybe he will. At least give the lad chance to fail if he’s going to. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh, Hatton's in a tough spot. If he'd knocked his two opponents over there'd be no complaints but he seems to lack a bit of power. The critisism goes with the territory especially when hes being given the platform and hes wearing the Hatton ring gear and using Blue Moon, but its a little unfair. 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh, Hatton's in a tough spot. If he'd knocked his two opponents over there'd be no complaints 

Then it’d have probably been ‘lol but he’s fighting binmen’. Can’t win. 

I’d like to see him leave the ‘Blue Moon’ and dad’s shorts behind at some point. It’s not a bad thing but hopefully he finds his own identity as he matures. Like Conor Benn has. There’s naturally still mentions of Nigel but you don’t watch Conor now and automatically think of his dad like you did at the start of his career. Conor’s stepped out of the shadow and, while there’s similarities to Nigel, he’s doing his own thing. With Campbell at the minute it feels a bit like a tribute act to his old man. Like my point on Eubank mimicking whoever he’s training with. But given Campbell’s age it’s understandable. Plus he’s got his dad’s face so he’s never leaving the comparisons behind fully. I just think fight fans can be right dickheads. If Hearn buried Campbell on some unaired bit of the show the same divs would be moaning about that. 

• Paid Members

Very true. 

If anything he has it worse than Eubank/Benn because Hatton was more recent and had that insane fanbase. You are gonna have that same fanbase as well as the fans who missed out wanting to recreate that. The problem is, they wanna do it before the kid is ready.