Canelo vs Saunders - May 8 πŸ₯Š πŸ‡²πŸ‡½ πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

25 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Middlweights the best place for him.

Agreed. I know Canelo is a powerhouse, but even so the difference in size after rehydration was still more than I figured it would be.Β 

The rest of the super-middle division is full of guys who would simply outsize Saunders. Benavidez is 6'1 with a 77" reach, Plant is 6'1 with a 74" reach, Dirrell is 6'2 with a 75" reach. Saunders is 5'11 with a 71" reach.Β 

His skillset is in his technical boxing ability, and he's going to find it hard coming in undersized against quality guys with power. He looked great I felt against Canelo, but I couldn't help but think if he was fighting in his own weight class those shots that snapped Canelo's head back would have had more effect against someone not as big and powerful.

There's good fights for him at middleweight if he comes to fight in the same kind of physical shape he did at the weekend. He looked to be in phenomenal shape physically.Β 

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, David said:

Β 

His skillset is in his technical boxing ability, and he's going to find it hard coming in undersized against quality guys with power. He looked great I felt against Canelo, but I couldn't help but think if he was fighting in his own weight class those shots that snapped Canelo's head back would have had more effect against someone not as big and powerful.

Β 

Its one of the main reasons i was so certain Canelo would win. Not only was Saunders very unlikely to get a decision (and the official cards showed that, even though they were fairly accurate for me), there was just never any way Saunders was gonna hurt Canelo at 168. Saunders wasnt a puncher at middleweight and has never stopped anyone at real world level,Β so he had no chance of hurting Canelo here - especially when you factor in Canelo arguably having the best chin in all of boxing...which surprised me to see people predictΒ Saunders may even drop him prior to the fightπŸ˜‰

Saunders at 168 was abit shit really, he shouldnt be there and only got gifted a world title at the weight but thats boxing for you. Canelo is probably in the wrong weight class too, but when you carry that kind of power upΒ it can work for you.

• Paid Members

the debateΒ around the stoppage goes on.

In a new video with IFL Ben Davison (who was in Saunders corner) is claiming Saunders wantedΒ to continue, and even offered to fight othodox but was pulled purely because they could see the damage to the eye.

Saunders other cornerman Mark Tibbs who was interviewed the night of the fight said that they pulled Saunders out because they didnt get the response that they wanted from him in the corner when they asked if he wanted to go on. Tibbs' interview has since been pulled from IFL.Β Β 

People assuming this is to do with the quitter talk going around, which is a bit daft.

Canelo has had issues with slick boxers in the past, such as Mayweather and southpaws such as Lara. Moreover, BJS's best performance to date came against Lemieux, who similarΒ to Canelo is a pressure fighter. Therefore, while David's prediction of a knockout victory for BJS was daft,Β I can kinda understand why some gave BJS a chance to win on points.Β 

However, this line of thinkingΒ ignored that while there are similarities between Canelo and Lemieux's styles, Canelo's operates at a much higher level. Furthermore, Canelo is a different beast in 2021 to the version who boxedΒ Lara and Mayweather years ago.Β 

This breakdownΒ byΒ Mateusz Fenrych is really insightfulΒ -Β https://www.thefight-site.com/home/canelo-alvarez-vs-billy-joe-saunders-breakdown

TLDR: BJS had his best moments when he remembered that he wasn't boxing in a phone booth. However, Canelo was never flustered and capitalised when BJS went back to trying to tightlyΒ pivot around his hips.Β 

20 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

the debateΒ around the stoppage goes on.

In a new video with IFL Ben Davison (who was in Saunders corner) is claiming Saunders wantedΒ to continue, and even offered to fight othodox but was pulled purely because they could see the damage to the eye.

Saunders other cornerman Mark Tibbs who was interviewed the night of the fight said that they pulled Saunders out because they didnt get the response that they wanted from him in the corner when they asked if he wanted to go on. Tibbs' interview has since been pulled from IFL.Β Β 

People assuming this is to do with the quitter talk going around, which is a bit daft.

I don't think it's hard to believe Saunders wanted to go on. Most individuals who reach that level of the sport need saving from themselves when an injury like that occurs. It was a good decision by his corner, and I believe that goes for any fighter.

Saunders comments about Dubois highlight exactly what I mean when I say he's a terrific fighter, but a shit person. I love him when he steps between the ropes, as he's a cocky, skilled boxer who entertains. As a person though? Scumbag. But as fans of combat sports we need to be able to put their personalities outside the ring to the side, otherwise we'd hate about 80% of the people involved.

That obviously doesn't apply to actual criminals who have murdered, raped, or abused people. Although the current love-in for Mike Tyson suggests not everyone feels that way.

20 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

Canelo has had issues with slick boxers in the past, such as Mayweather and southpaws such as Lara. Moreover, BJS's best performance to date came against Lemieux, who similarΒ to Canelo is a pressure fighter. Therefore, while David's prediction of a knockout victory for BJS was daft,Β I can kinda understand why some gave BJS a chance to win on points.Β 

However, this line of thinkingΒ ignored that while there are similarities between Canelo and Lemieux's styles, Canelo's operates at a much higher level. Furthermore, Canelo is a different beast in 2021 to the version who boxedΒ Lara and Mayweather years ago.Β 

This breakdownΒ byΒ Mateusz Fenrych is really insightfulΒ -Β https://www.thefight-site.com/home/canelo-alvarez-vs-billy-joe-saunders-breakdown

TLDR: BJS had his best moments when he remembered that he wasn't boxing in a phone booth. However, Canelo was never flustered and capitalised when BJS went back to trying to tightlyΒ pivot around his hips.Β 

I hold my hands up and say that I honestly thought he had a chance. I figured Canelo was a smaller super-middle, and that Saunders wouldn't run from him, would take the fight to him, use his footwork, speed, angles and so on to provide some looks that Canelo doesn't get from most opponents.

Seeing them both face to face in the ring though on fight night? That changed my opinion. The size difference was there for all to see. My hopes faded at that point. That's right, hopes. I wanted Saunders to win. I know he's a cock, but I'm fed up with the Mexican love-in every time Canelo fights. Right down to the shitty music they keep playing between rounds. Fuck off with that shit. I hate the smugness as well. We see too many British fighters go over to the US and lose.

I always want to see a British fighter do well, and hope they can then bring the title back to the UK for a few defences.Β 

Edited by David

• Paid Members

I usually back the Brit but in this case i was behind Canelo. Nothing to do with being patriotic, i just love how he's going about his business and showing other top level fighters how it should be done.

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I usually back the Brit but in this case i was behind Canelo. Nothing to do with being patriotic, i just love how he's going about his business and showing other top level fighters how it should be done.

Yeah, I quite like Canelo as well, but I'm always going to root for the British fighter in most fights. I like to see our lads do well, especially when the Americans like to think they run the fucking sport.

• Paid Members

Saunders is a shithead. I get what you’re saying David but I just can’t root for someone I can’t stand. No matter where they’re from. Good fighter but he’s in that pool of fighters who I’ll never want to seeΒ win.Β 

1 minute ago, David said:

IΒ like to see our lads do well

I’m not claiming him. He’s no lad of mine.Β 

I dislike both Canelo and BJS, so I didn't care who won between them really.Β 

However, I amΒ not going to support a boxer just because they happen to be British. If I didΒ that, I would haveΒ had to support Tony Bellew over Uysk,Β Jamie McDonnell overΒ Inoue, or whoever Joe "Keith Lard"Β Gallagher trains.Β 

It's a weird British thing that, isn't it? You'd virtually never see a Mexican cheering on a Brit or an American against a Mexican fighter. I always root for British fighters unless they're absolute scumbags. All part of the fun, innit?Β 

13 minutes ago, David said:

It's a weird British thing that, isn't it? You'd virtually never see a Mexican cheering on a Brit or an American against a Mexican fighter. I always root for British fighters unless they're absolute scumbags. All part of the fun, innit?Β 

BritsΒ only support some of theirΒ own. Most of us got behindΒ Bruno, HattonΒ and Joshua. Yet, for various reasons we never fullyΒ got behind Khan or Lennox Lewis.Β Β 

Personally, I tend to support whoever I fancy the most.Β 

• Paid Members

That's odd, I always remember people being behind Lewis, even if they were a little detached. Same with Calzaghe, I guess. Am fairly sure people loved Benn, Eubank, and Prince Naseem too.

Also, I was rooting for Fury against Wilder - nothing against Wilder at the time; he seemed like an OK guy before he went off the deep end after the loss, but Fury, despite having some shitty views, hadn't really hurt anyone, and he'd really won me over with his struggle and comeback. And I've never liked the American arrogance displayed towards British boxers, so it was sweet as anything to see Fury completely outclass the big American deal in the one aspect of boxing that commentators can't really undermine, i.e. pure technical ability, and then show insane heart in getting up from that bomb.

Another reason for wanting Fury to do well (and I'm aware this is going to have people rolling their eyes and going "Oh, Carbomb") is that I wanted to see a Traveller get to the top during a time when the fucking Tories were going after them again - was roughly around this time that that piece of shit Priti Patel was trying to start something on the community.

BJS on the hand did shit to homeless people. Fuck him.

6 hours ago, David said:

Right down to the shitty music they keep playing between rounds

That was doing my fucking swede in. The only thing that could’ve made it ok is if Lesnar appeared doing his little Mexican dance.Β