The PFL Thread 💰 (March 7th - Doumbe vs. Chamsoudinov)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I forgot Werdum even signed with PFL. I’ll track that, the Kayla Harrison fight and Usman’s brother down.

You need to watch the Cindy Dandois fight though Ebb. Bound to be a striking clinic. 

2541C8D2-B315-440E-AB8B-62D0F942AA4C.gif

• Paid Members

dear lord.

Thing is, the UFC cant fill a 145lb division of women of a decent standard. PFL's 155lb division must be brutal.

Interesting lil sidenote about Werdum's opponent. He once played Fabricio Werdum in a movie, bit weird...

https://www.mmafighting.com/2021/5/4/22417072/renan-ferreira-fabricio-werdum-fernando-terere-biopic-pfl

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Werdum got had over last night. The guy tapped, Werdum relaxed, the ref didn’t see the tap, then the guy proceeded to knock Werdum out. 

33FD3BE5-1673-4753-B585-7EA892EEBD84.gif

I mean, I know you’re supposed to continue until the ref stops it but with something like this, you’re naturally going to relax the pressure on the sub when you feel the tap and the referee’s positioning was shite which didn’t help. He was on the other side but he still should’ve been on top of that. Even in the gif there, he still should’ve been able to see the tap really. Sucks for Werdum this. Again, part of its on him but it’s a crappy way to lose. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

It's also potentially damaging, in that it may lead to an uptick in fighters getting paranoid about this sort of thing, and doing a Refusimar. Could end up with a lot of bad will at best, and injuries at worst.

• Moderators

LOL, commonly called "the brazilian tap", you see it all the time in BJJ tournaments, a single tap or very light sequence of taps. Sorry but that is on Werdum, its a triangle, hold on to it until the ref steps in. Triangle is very different in terms of "holding on too long" compared to something like a heel hook.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

PFL 4 Thursday. Id imagine this gets the biggest amount of media traction of the season so far, based off the fact that Claressa Shields makes her MMA debut.

20210605_075426.thumb.jpg.aafd8b11d4d07d0de23f5e62d0a82a77.jpg

20210605_075430.thumb.jpg.bec01c8c1a8e005bd6faea0dae470486.jpg

That card is solid too! This is the more interesting parts of the roster.

For those that dont know, Shields is arguable the top female boxer in the World. Undisputed Champion in 2 different divisions. This was a big get for the PFL.

Screen-Shot-2020-03-11-at-2_09.43-PM.png.2b3bf13a8440cbf3fce63931880bac0e.png

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰 (Claressa Shields debuts, June 10th)
  • Paid Members

rookie error really, but isnt it annoying when you go on twitter, search the hashtag #ufc260 to be safe and are met with PFL spoilers with that #ufc260 attached to them. Thats annoying isnt it.

• Paid Members

talking to myself now, but fuck it.

Here's the Shields fight from last week:

that was seen as a big win for the PFL, Shields seemed to get universal praise for gutting that out for a come from behind win. When loads of past it MMA fighters are all headed to boxing and getting clobbered, Shields is doing the complete opposite. An in her prime boxer moving over and trying MMA, she has nothing but praise for the sport. Good to see.

PFL 5 is tonight, i'll try not to miss it but life (and the Euro's) may get in the way once more:

20210617_134801.thumb.jpg.dfa71ca098e5d460b574f1375ab21536.jpg

Rory MacDonald vs. Gleison Tibau?! what year is this!?

There was a time when a Rory MacDonald fight was a massive deal, now they just tend to come and go, bit of a shame really.