The PFL Thread 💰

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

20210420_124413.thumb.jpg.3bb51fd1e13ed405fc8b6785f91e17a3.jpgRight then, PFL Seaon 3 starts Friday. The schedule will come thick and fast so I thought id start a thread.

The names added to this seasons roster are probably enough to warrant abit more interest than prior seasons. The inclusions of Anthony Pettis, Fabricio Werdum, Rory McDonald, Claressa Shields etc. is gonna do them no harm whatsoever. Chuck them in with the current PFL Champions and a few wildcard inclusions and the rosters look pretty solid.

As for the UK viewing. Prior shows were just aired live on facebook for free, im not so sure whats happening this year. There's an MMA TV site promoting it'll be £9.99 per show through them but that looks ropey and unofficial. I'll try finding out.

Anyway, the league table concept is different and kind of interesting, these graphics will explain things:

IMG_20210420_100959.thumb.jpg.159160d0fc61d45b96bfac83b0e02c4a.jpg

IMG_20210420_112428.thumb.jpg.1f5bc9842655a17395f6b216acb05857.jpg

The whole leads to a 6 World Title fight show on New Years Eve where each winner gets a Million bucks.

First show is Friday, headlined by Anthony Pettis and Clay Collard which should be tidy as fuck!

PFL-1-Anthony-Pettis-vs-Clay-Collard.jpg.84e77d519f10a84a60c16c802f66cd00.jpg

20210420_124413.thumb.jpg.3bb51fd1e13ed405fc8b6785f91e17a3.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I never follow PFL but I’ll track down the Pettis fight. And that Khaybulaev chap might be worth a watch. He’s undefeated (15-0-1) and did this to Damon Jackson (now in the UFC) back in 2019. This was 10 seconds into the fight...

23D8E365-5A04-4DD7-AFB8-BAEF88327BB4.gif

Shades of Sandhagen’s knee on Frankie Edgar. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

yeh i expect there to be some beasts on these shows, not least the Champions. Ive never seen Natan Schulte fight, but hes the current PFL 155lb Champ, he's 20-3 with a bunch of submission wins so him and Held could be a bit of an MMA grappling clinic.

Nice to see Brendan Loughnane on there too. In fairness to him he seems to be one of the few UK fighters getting any kind of media traction outside of the fighters in the UFC and Bellator. His fight got voted to headline the prelims portion of the show too.

• Paid Members

Yeh sometimes i just go with the highlights if times getting away from me.

Some crazy upsets on that first show though, Pettis losing, the two Champions losing. No plain sailing in that tournament.

not quite sure how Collard survived this though:

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

PFL tonight looks pretty solid as well. Im gutted i missed last week's show now as it got pretty glowing reviews from the fights right down to the actual broadcast. There's just so much on, first world problems.

IMG_20210429_191424.thumb.jpg.d446bcab84ae18b79abe2ceb22f2029c.jpg

Look closely at that and you'll see a load of recognisable names. PFL aint fucking around.

• Paid Members

Wow, I didn't know they'd released Shoeface. Honestly thought he was one of the rising stars. Just looked at his record; didn't know he'd lost three on the bounce.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Zebra Kid Mark said:

Do you happen to know how us UK fans would be able to tune in? 

Is that Tom Lawlor vs Shoeface? I thought Lawlor was retired now and only did pro wrestling, I can't see him doing much good against Shoeface 

yeh its Filthy Tom.

The PFL have dropped the ball with the UK fans really. Last season it was shown free on facebook, this year you gotta pay £10 per show through some shoddy looking site called MMA UK. From what i can gather, the UK is the only country that has to pay for it.

Just before show 1 they announced it was gonna be on shown on youtube but they showed 40 minutes and cut it off. Its a mess.

• Egg Shen changed the title to The PFL Thread 💰
  • Paid Members

Saw show 2 in full except for the main event which id caught a spoiler of.

Outside of a few standout performances from Cezar Ferreira, Shoeface and Ray Cooper, the best thing about the PFL for me is the presentation. Outside of the UFC it may be the best production ive ever seen. The commentary team is excellent and they do some little thing which really make the PFL's concept feel really unique. They bombard you with stats too, some of them are a little cheesey, but they are trying something.

This finish though...

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

20210506_134312.thumb.jpg.1783967c2cc57b80b4d639b09d827369.jpg

Werdun debuts tonight. Kayla Harrison returns, and Kamaru Usman's younger brother is on the card.

I wont be watching the women outside of Harrison but i'll skim those heavyweight fights.