One Championship Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This was announced a week or so ago but I thought i'd throw it in in case you missed it. One starts it's latest venture to break the US market with the first of a series of events like in prime time on Amazon Video late in August. I think we'll still get the standard youtube stream over here, but this card is gonna be banana.

Johnson trying to get that win back over Moraes after the upset win a couple of years ago, a series of those mental Muay Thai fights that One continue to deliver and some Heavyweight MMA, this is gonna be a pearler.

FYhIcq2akAE5ers.thumb.jpg.adaf8c952df7cab08c4ccefe4604a4fa.jpg

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, all the One shows stream free on their offical Youtube channel in the UK. It's sometimes hard to follow or keep up because the names might not be recognisable on every show but everytime I tune it's been consistently good, and the ruleset makes it pretty violent if you like that kind of thing. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

bit of a shitter, but looks like One is no longer giving us the shows free on youtube. Tonight's and tomorrow's events are on PPV through the promotions website. The Amazon Prime thing only applies to the USA and Canada.

I'll have find it via other means 😏

• Egg Shen changed the title to One Championship Thread (Moraes vs. Mighty Mouse II - August 26th)
On 8/25/2022 at 9:38 AM, Egg Shen said:

bit of a shitter, but looks like One is no longer giving us the shows free on youtube. Tonight's and tomorrow's events are on PPV through the promotions website. The Amazon Prime thing only applies to the USA and Canada.

I'll have find it via other means 😏

That is annoying. I came into this topic to ask how everyone was going to watch this show. I wonder how One FC expect fans to watch it in the UK.

• Paid Members

o⁰There is a way, you just have to pay for it.

Love this fan made poster:

20220826_095212.thumb.jpg.4e1729326a1ab178d397f8fcc43276e7.jpg

I'm not fancying Johnson's chances here. He's a slight favorite but at 36 and up against the huge size difference, I just see Moraes winning again. I'm looking forward to it.

20220826_122634.jpg.05d902d58c8a0341aa32c443cf77ffa0.jpg

The Rodtang fight is off though which is shit.

• Paid Members

If you didn’t catch Demetrious Johnson vs Adriano Moraes 2 it’s well worth a watch. Really good fight. You can easily find it on YouTube within seconds, or at least you could yesterday when I watched it. DJ was having another tough fight, got controlled on the ground for a good chunk of the first round. In the second round he appeared to get wobbled a bit after being clipped with a headkick, then got controlled more on the ground and got hit with a series of knees on the ground which I really thought was gonna be the beginning of the end for him. He seemed to be struggling to get anything going and it looked like Moraes’ size was giving him all kinds of issues. He survived the round and came back with a really strong third round, outstriking Moraes and actually had him backing up a lot which you don’t always see from the bigger man. Then in the fourth…

image.gif.a3c24da6676a2bd7126e6be9644b114d.gif

Amazing. You could see him lining it up, measuring it, timing it, then blasted him with it. Moraes was gone. I love that DJ ended it with a knee as well. The same way he got finished in the first fight. And the mad thing is, this is a Mighty Mouse who I feel is past his prime. He’s still fucking great, don’t get me wrong. But I don’t think he’s been at his absolute peak the last couple of years or so. Understandable, he’s 36 now which is pretty long in the tooth for a Flyweight and he’s been at it a good 15 years now. Much of it at the highest level. To put in a performance like this, against a bigger man who’d handed him his first knockout loss, then drop a couple of rounds in the rematch and manage to turn it around and then pull that KO out of it, legendary stuff.

It’s a fucking travesty that we’ll never see DJ vs Figgy or Moreno or Pantoja or Kara-France or Askarov etc. There’s a whole new wave of Flyweights now that would be fresh fights for him and it’s a much deeper division than the one he left. As much as I do enjoy the ONE cards I watch, I love their whole presentation and I really love the rules set, even after a great win like this there’s no real obvious name that jumps out for DJ. There’s never that feeling of ‘now we’ll get to see him fight ____’. No doubt we’ll see a trilogy decider with Moraes at some point and I’m well up for that but beyond that? Personally I’d love to see him finish his career in the UFC fighting some of those names I mentioned but I highly doubt it’ll happen, and I can’t blame DJ one bit. The UFC apparently thought so little of him that they just casually traded him for a Ben Askren who’d pretty much retired and had bad hips. I remember Dana publicly bashing Mouse when they couldn’t get the DJ vs TJ Dillashaw fight on as well. And they even wanted to bin the whole Flyweight division and the narrative put out there was always ‘Mighty Mouse is boring/doesn’t move the needle’ and so on. Yet they’ll punish us with endless Holly Holm main events and 5 rounds of Eye vs Calvillo.

image.gif.c0f63ee61b838a16c82db1680e474f6f.gif

He absolutely should be on the biggest stage fighting all the top guys at 125. But he seems happy enough where he is now. His legacy is set anyway and hopefully he’s making good coin over in ONE. I must admit it is cool seeing him fight under ONE’s rules, which is the closest to Pride’s we’ve got these days, but better because they can use elbows! As much as I’d love to see him back in the UFC for my own selfish reasons, ONE seems like the perfect fit for him in some ways. 

• Paid Members

yeah, that's an unbelievable, legacy re-affirming win for DJ. I didn't get around to see it as the event wasn't showing up anywhere online (it's available today though, typical), and had completely forgotten about looking on youtube. #

But yeah, what a win. Going to One usually eliminates a fighter from discussion when it  comes to talking about the best in the world, it's great to see people putting DJ back at the top of the lists after this one though, if felt really relevant. Slam dunk for One.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members

One is bringing the heat this weekend, as usual there's 2 shows but these 2 are full of names that leap out, im gonna have to skim them.

20221130_112159.thumb.jpg.01e0ee5511e7cff97489984e2d72b760.jpg20221130_112203.thumb.jpg.96ca9aee4e63a1ba366fe25f2998aa8c.jpg

De Ridder!

Reug Reu!

The One Championship debut of Soldic!

Brandon Vera!

The Ruotolo Brothers!

• Egg Shen changed the title to One Championship Thread
  • 5 months later...
  • Paid Members

Time to dig up the One Championship thread as it makes it's US debut this Friday. It would be nice if they somehow got these shows presented on Amazon Prime over here but no such luck.

I don't see much One Championship but i'll try getting around to seeing this even though it falls on a UFC PPV and Canelo PPV weekend. There's alot i'm not familiar with on the card but I do like that One has fully leaned into mixing up their cards with muliple rulesets. Lots to like. 

Anyone else give a toss?

FuiEl2daEAEXzbJ.thumb.jpg.3c4fc5a6dc1c634dc6477841422913d9.jpg

• Egg Shen changed the title to One Championship Thread (Mighty Mouse vs. Moraes III - May 5th)
  • Paid Members

this may be a complete surprise to some, but I didn't end up seeing this...

However, seeing the highlights it's probably time that Demetrious Johnson gets seriously talked about in the GOAT discussion. He's probably the only fighter that went from a prime spot in the sport to probably adding to his resume in a positive way after leaving the promotion (Mousasi another, probably more but can't think of any of the top of my head). 

Johnson has gone 6-1 in One, avenged his defeat twice to a much larger man, won belts, beat Rodtang in that mental mixed rules fight and continues to look a step above. Unbelievable stuff, I hope the UFC honour pretty soon after his impending retirement, he deserves it.

Sage Northcutt got a quick win which was nice and Roberto Soldic got laid out which was a massive shocker.

Bit gutted I missed it.

• Egg Shen changed the title to One Championship Thread
  • 2 months later...