One Championship Thread

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Sorry to bring it back up, but im utterly baffled at the reaction to this.

Surely what Lapicus is doing is intelligently defending himself? he's tucked his head into a position where he shouldnt legally allowed to be hit. Do people expect him to present his face to Alvarez to hit?

How can anyone have an issue with this? its cut and dry for me.

• Paid Members

Yeah it’s weird. And that Grabaka Hitman guy is usually pretty spot on with his takes. I think a lot of this is because it’s Eddie Alvarez and he’s so respected/liked by MMA fans who got into it during a specific period. But a foul is a foul and the fact Lapicus couldn’t continue is obviously what made it a DQ, like the recent Yan vs Sterling example. If Lapicus had been OK to carry on it’d have most likely just been a point deduction. It’s shit for all involved and I don’t think there was any malicious intent there on Eddie’s part but these things happen sometimes and it’s rightly gone down as a loss.

While we’re on this subject, from time to time I see people arguing that Jon Jones’ DQ loss to Matt Hamill shouldn’t count. But again, that came about through a series of illegal downward elbows and Hamill couldn’t continue. He was absolutely fucked. Whether you agree with the downward elbow ban or not (I think it’s silly myself), it’s been a known rule for so long. Again, I don’t think Jones deliberately broke that rule, he had no reason to he was winning handily. I think it was just a heat of the moment thing. But you can’t just call it a TKO for Jones when Hamill got his shit well and truly fucked up by a series of illegal blows. Anyone who saw the fight knows how that fight was going, it wasn’t a proper loss. But the rules are there.

The grey area for me is eye pokes. There’s an argument to be made that Leon Edwards should’ve been disqualified against Belal Muhammad the other week. Eye pokes and groin strikes are generally more difficult to determine if they’re intentional or not though, in my opinion. With something like the Alvarez or Jones examples, the fighter is in a dominant position and usually has more time and opportunity to choose their shots carefully. I don’t know the fix for it all but I often see MMA fans saying the penalties should be harsher for these fouls but then when a guy they like gets DQ’d they whinge for days on social media about it. 

• Paid Members

It seems to me that, if a promotion is happy to allow "gaming" the rules, like when a fighter puts his hand down to avoid ground knee strikes, or when Bendo pulls an opponent's hand up to allow him to hit them, then they should consider what Lapicus did to be intelligent defending.

• Paid Members

its not even that though is it? if someone puts a knee down tactically to avoid being knee'd that just playing within the ruleset. To turn your head away from someone like in the position Alvarez was is simply protecting yourself from being punched in the face. I dont see that as playing the game, no strikes to the back of the head are legal, in any position. 

Hopefully Alvarez and Lapicus run it back and hopefully One Championship continue to put their shows online for us Brits to watch. Fingers crossed the PFL follow suit when they start running shows again.

In the Mighty Mouse fight, I had no idea grounded knee strikes were allowed, when I saw it happen I assumed we were heading for another DQ. I was very surprised to see it get called a Knock out. 

• Egg Shen changed the title to One Championship Thread
  • Paid Members

IMG_20210414_132130.jpg.1a9727ced6619a8833d0d9eb9443564c.jpg

The second TNT show is tonight, bit of a tough sell, they lost a few fights and given the show tanked on TNT last week i expect this to do much worse? bit of a shame. This series seems a tad cursed, losing Northcutt next week is a blow too.

That said, the main event here is gonna be good. Christian Lee is a One mainstay, fought his entire career there and is probably as legit world class as you can get, he just isnt recognised by the majority of the fans. That was proven by his opponent Timofey Nastyukhin, you may remember him as the guy who wrecked Eddie Alvarez' One debut a couple of years ago.

Weeks 3 & 4 have more recognisable names on them.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

the Holzken/Parr fight should be good too.

The winner of Gafurov/Yoon is fighting Eddie Alvarez on next weeks show (tonight show is pre-recorded so he has more than a weeks turn around).

Here's the link to tonights show:

Edited by Egg Shen