Paul vs Askren - Apr 17 🤡

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

19 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Everything about that was terrible. It had a real self congratulatory feel to it. It's like Jake Paul is setting up a film set for himself to walk out on to, rather than it's a sporting event.

The shitty looking belt that almost looked like something he'd made for himself, the robot walk out after Ben's brown sign, the terrible commentary ...

• Paid Members

If Poirier beats McGregor, could we ever see McGregor accept a fight with Paul? It would be an easy (presumably big) pay day for McGregor and an easy way to bounce back. Perhaps Paul would do it knowing it's probably the biggest thing he'll ever do in a boxing ring.

Stranger things have happened.

Paul may well clatter him, though. He’s big and he can punch. Without kicks, McGregor’s boxing is fairly pedestrian.

It’ll have to be a boxer who beats him. Probably only needs to be area level, mind, but someone who’s boxed.

2 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I’m hoping they make the mistake of thinking Tommy Fury is just a celebrity who plays at boxing, too.

Tommy would put him on the fucking moon.

It would be a big step up in opposition for Fury. 

• Paid Members

i hated every second of that. 

From the moment Michael Buffer introduced Askren and "Ben Askew" you knew it was gonna end badly.

The fight was what it was, Askren looked alright for a minute then seemed to freeze. Basically invited Paul to throw that right hand.

The circus marches on, but my biggest issue was with the production. The commentary mocked everything, Oscar De La Hoya coked out of his mind. It's clearly aimed at the youtube/tiktok generation but it all felt very depressing to me. Poor Al Bernstein.

I feel dirty for having looked forward to this.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

i hated every second of that. 

From the moment Bruce Buffer introduced Askren and "Ben Askew" you knew it was gonna end badly.

The fight was what it was, Askren looked alright for a minute then seemed to freeze. Basically invited Paul to throw that right hand.

The circus marches on, but my biggest issue was with the production. The commentary mocked everything, Oscar De La Hoya coked out of his mind. It's clearly aimed at the youtube/tiktok generation but it all felt very depressing to me. Poor Al Bernstein.

I feel dirty for having looked forward to this.

It was as far from a sporting event that a sporting even can be. Honestly it felt closer to a wrestling PPV than it did a sport PPV.

I watched the broadcast with foreign language commentary, which might have been a blessing or a curse. It says a lot for Joe Fournier versus Reykon that during the first round they thought it more important to cut to some "celebrity" (I have absolutely no idea who he was, but he had a face I'd probably pay good money to see repeatedly punched) in a yellow jacket taking selfies with the commentary team. Reykon was abysmal, and understandably so considering he's a singer with no apparent boxing background who's in the match as a result of a nightclub argument with Fournier. The less said about Frank Mir versus Steve Cunningham the better. At the end of the fight there's three ring girls, without masks, and a minder of some description, all needed to hold a single championship belt for some apparently imaginary sanctioning body. Why is this remotely necessary during a pandemic? I was really confused by Regis Prograis versus Ivan Redkach, probably because the foreign language commentary drowned out most of the noise in the ring. I couldn't figure out why after 30 seconds of showing replays of Redkach being "hit" (as I'm not even sure how much of the glove connected with the body after seeing one angle, it looked like more the inside of the arm) to the body he was still rolling around in the ring apparently receiving no medical treatment whatsoever. I eventually figured out he was feigning a low blow, and I don't think laughably leaving the ring on a stretcher will have done his career prospects any good since everyone can see he was faking it. Michael Buffer get's Ben Askren's name wrong, how does that happen? That's the only potentially difficult part of his job, to make sure he's familiar with any unusual names. Then I see Jake Paul's gloves, do the Georgia Athletic and Entertainment Commission not run many boxing shows or something? He's in the red corner, he's supposed to have red tape round his gloves. Instead he has blue tape on, the same as Askren. Again, the less said about the fight the better. I see lots of press body-shaming Askren, not sure why. I reckon he knew he was going to get knocked out either way, so why bother with hard weeks in the gym when you can sit back on the sofa with a few beers?

Edited by Tamura