Joshua vs Fury - IS OFF! πŸ₯Š

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I have to admit, it's a bit of a shame that possibly the biggest heavyweight title fight in many a year is basically being bought and paid for by such a reprehensible regime.

Being able to look back on a fight of this magnitude will be diluted a little by the fact it's not taking place in a proper mecca of boxing like New York, Vegas, or even London.Β 

It's happening in Saudi because they threw enough money at it.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, David said:

I have to admit, it's a bit of a shame that possibly the biggest heavyweight title fight in many a year is basically being bought and paid for by such a reprehensible regime.

Being able to look back on a fight of this magnitude will be diluted a little by the fact it's not taking place in a proper mecca of boxing like New York, Vegas, or even London.Β 

Nothing new, though. The Rumble In The Jungle took place in Zaire under the supremely corrupt and brutal regime of Mobutu Sisi Seko. And that cunt King arranged it.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

its a shame, but when a location is probably throwing probably quadruple (that's a guess)Β the amount of money at the fight it has to be hard to turn down, especially when theres so many people taking a slice of the pie.

It is a bit of a joke, Fury saying he doesn't care about money, its a fight. Joshua the man of the people, support local business’ etc.....yet they'll take 50Β million each from Saudi instead of maybe 30Β from the UK.

Its digits in a bank account they will never see.Β 

Normally with boxers i would say, take all you can get, but with such silly money, i’m sorry, it wrong. Fury already got a Β£75 million deal from ESPN. Whats the point. Joshua already worth over Β£100 million.Β 

Theyre a joke, then moan about grass routes boxing. No different from footballers.

19 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

It is a bit of a joke, Fury saying he doesn't care about money, its a fight. Joshua the man of the people, support local business’ etc.....yet they'll take 50Β million each from Saudi instead of maybe 30Β from the UK.

Its digits in a bank account they will never see.Β 

Normally with boxers i would say, take all you can get, but with such silly money, i’m sorry, it wrong. Fury already got a Β£75 million deal from ESPN. Whats the point. Joshua already worth over Β£100 million.Β 

Theyre a joke, then moan about grass routes boxing. No different from footballers.

There’s not 30 mil each in the UK. There’s not anything in the UK.

Theres a β€˜you have to PAY x amount of million to rent Wembley, then cross your fingers and hope you sell plenty of PPV’s’.

The Saudi site fee is the only reason this is happening. Fighters want guarantees for risk, the precedent has been set... it is what it is.

What do you mean, theres nothing in the UK?

Β£30 ppv. They are predicting 2million buys in the UK alone,Β thats before other things like advertising revenues etc....

Cross your fingers and hope for PPV buys? It’s Joshua v Fury, the biggest fight in the history of UK Boxing, it’s not Frampton v Quigg.Β 

Joshua v Takam done over a million buys didn't it? What do you think Joshua v Fury will do?Β 

Wasn't there 20000 at Wembley yesterday?Β Β If the lifting of restrictions stay on track theres no reason why Wembley could not at least be half full, maybe even capacity.Β God knows how much that would be in revenue.Β 

It’s a cash grab. The atmosphere will be shite, much like it was for Joshua v Ruiz. Β Atmosphere makes the fight.Β 

All the boxing i rewatch on you tube, either fights or documentaries is made 100 times better by the crowd. This fight will be watched liveΒ in silence by multi millionaire non boxing fans.

As i said, normally i would say fairplay to them, but they both say it’s not about the money, it’s about legacy and all that tripe. It is about the money, so dont bullshit.

Edited by Mr Lawrence

The Saudi’s are putting up 155milΒ guaranteed, which gives them both 75mil each plus 5mil to pay for the show, according to reports.

The U.K. model, as you’ve said yourself, requires everyone to find the money in advance to pay for every aspect of the show and then hope, downwind, you can recoup your money on sales - be that PPV, or whatever international TV rights there are to sell.

UK PPV fighters are typically paid a smaller guarantee, then offered upsides. That’s a risk based payment system. The modern fighter doesn’t want risk, they want guarantees. And the sort of figures these lads command can’t be wished up by U.K. promoters and broadcasters alone.

I don’t make moral judgments about fighting. It’s prize fighting. I’m happy for anyone who gives their lives to getting whacked in the head toΒ get as much money as possible.

As a quick exercise in very rough maths - a full Wembley is probably worth 12mil quid (based on an av ticket price of 150, which is punchy). International TV, you might get 5mil if you’re lucky. That leaves you 138mil to recoup just to break even, based onΒ the Saudi offer. Β That’s a 45 quid PPV based on US/U.K. PPV sales of 3mil (which I don’t see as being realistic). Considering everyone involved - promoters, contracted broadcasters - are going to want to make a profit I think you could be realistically looking at a 60 quid PPV minimum.

At that point you have to remember PPV sales exist on a curve and past a certain point of priceΒ elasticity, the number of buys will go down so the exercise is futile anyway.

The only way it wasΒ feasible to run this in the U.K. was for the government to stump up a huge site fee. ThatΒ didn’t happen.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

No doubt the rematch will be in the UK. I think yes the money is huge but the fact is they could book Wembley and have everything ready but then the UK Government could turn around and introduce restrictions again. Saudi will absolutely not do that.

Morality wise boxing is in the bin anyway. At least it'll be on at a reasonable hour so PPV buys will be at an all time high.