UFC Vegas: Edwards vs Muhammad - Mar 13 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Another fun show with a deflating ending. Becoming a bit of a running theme lately.

Edwards vs Muhammad was such an anti-climax. Like Guy said, ‘the most Leon Edwards thing ever’. Nothing is straight forward with him is it? When the fight was first announced I don’t think anyone was that excited for it. But as fight week went on it seemed to be generating a bit of a buzz. A combination of Edwards being gone so long, Belal’s big opportunity and the underdog story, then that intense face-off at the weigh in. By yesterday afternoon I was way more into the fight than I expected to be. And Edwards was looking really good in that first round. Second round starts and... 

5E4655DC-49FA-4C4D-85AF-ED272167E8F1.gif

B2581-A2-B-01-E4-4-CA2-A47-C-05-EC77-B53

Hopefully Muhammad’s OK. He’s understandably calling for the rematch today. I’m in two minds. On the one hand, I think it’s the fair thing to do. He wasn’t winning the fight but there was still 4 rounds to go and to have his big opportunity end like that is cack. But at the same time, I wouldn’t blame Edwards for wanting to move onto bigger things given his time out. I don’t know. It does seem like Edwards is cursed though. Nothing is going right for him. I mean, at least it wasn’t a loss but it was far from the ideal return.

Spann vs Cirkunov was short and sweet. Didn’t really expect Spann to come out so aggressive on the feet, had him down as almost strictly a grappler. Paid off for him here though.

Dan Ige...

F6B72265-3A7E-4A38-86EE-ABE745BEE441.gif

Yep. 22 seconds. That’s killed any talk of Tucker being a prospect now. Ige just waffled him. Exactly what Ige needed really coming off the Kattar loss and a couple of close decisions before that. He’s called out Korean Zombie as well. Sign me up for that.

Davey Grant vs Jonathan Martinez was ace. They both came out guns blazing. Martinez had his moments and I thought he might put Grant away after that knockdown in the first round. But Grant came back and flattened him in the second...

E457D3DC-7934-4A24-96D0-2D8007899B17.gif

Christ. Chuffed to see Grant get another win. He’s looked good lately and that’s two big knockouts on the bounce for him now. He’s finally picking up some momentum now he’s been able to stay healthy and active. Makes you wonder how he would’ve done if he’d been able to stay injury free and fight more over the last 8 years since he was on TUF. I’d like to see him get a decent name next. Nobody is jumping out but he’s on a 3 fight streak now with back-to-back POTN winning knockouts. I think he’s earned something juicy.

Nicolau vs Kape was good but another loss for Kape unfortunately. Nicolau fought well himself but, again, as entertaining as I find Kape to watch, he has these spells where he just seems to switch off a bit and doesn’t throw much. When he does let his strikes go, he’s a joy to watch...

27E0B894-AF7B-4840-AFFA-4269D5C3AFCD.gif

But then there’s these lapses where he seems to just sleepwalk for a bit and doesn’t get his striking or grappling going. It happened in the Pantoja fight as well. I did think he might’ve been a tad unlucky here though. I wasn’t scoring closely but I felt like he probably nicked it when the final buzzer went. 0-2 for Kape in the UFC. Hopefully it’s third time lucky in his next fight. I’d at least like to see him and Royval go at it before Kape ends up getting released or something.

Anders vs Stewart was shaping up to be a bit of a show stealer. Then...

AFDAAD47-36CA-4E29-B4E2-D6CC3E6B99B0.gif

Yeah, two weeks on the trot. Don’t know what Anders was thinking. Again, like the Petr Yan situation last week, I felt like Anders was getting the better of the fight then pissed it all up the wall. Funniest thing about it was, he tweeted this about Yan last week...

AEBBC2-BB-21-B9-4353-930-C-CF18707-BFAFF

That didn’t go unnoticed apparently...

543-BC63-A-AABB-495-F-868-A-C1-A30-B46-C

😂 Seriously though, this was unfortunate. Only thing enjoyable about it was Bisping and DC bickering over the rules after the fight. I’d just go ahead and throw the rematch together as soon as these two are ready to go again. Nothing else going on for either of them anyway.

Angela Hill looked good. She could’ve done with a finish just to really make a statement. And she probably should’ve got Yoder out of there really. But fair play to Yoder, she’s not that good but she is tough.

23C0F952-3010-4EBE-8955-7521E26E206C.gif

She took a beating though. Hill looked sharp. Don’t know what’s next. On the one hand I think she’s proven she’s too good for this level of opponent. But every time she steps up she either loses or ‘wins’ but gets buggered by dodgy judging. Seems like it’s just not meant to be. And the end game is a shot at Shevchenko anyway and, as much as I like Hill, she’s got nothing for Shev. Nothing.

Jourdain vs Rojo was a wild one. Really, really enjoyed this. Jourdain’s had a couple of razor close decisions in the UFC and hasn’t really wowed anyone but he’s one of those guys who, if you watched his fights, there’s always that little spark there where you see the potential in him. Little flashes of what he can do. I had no knowledge of Rojo going in but he was the perfect opponent for Jourdain to really let loose with.

99663CC7-4E64-4478-BA0C-8773F3FCABFE.gif

3C551558-94D8-462C-BE68-C04C08E7918B.gif

Tremendous stuff from both and I can’t wait to see them back in action. Jourdain is only 25. I don’t think he’s an immediate force in the Featherweight division but I’ve got a feeling he could get in that mix over the next couple of years. It’s a tough game and he could just as easily fizzle out, especially in a division like 145, but the tools are there and he’s got some time.

Rani Yahya running through Ray Rodriguez was about the most predictable result on the entire card. Rodriguez’s ground game looked a tad suspect in his previous fight from what I recall so he was always going to be in deep shit if this one hit the mat. Yahya is no-one to fuck with in the grappling. Nice sub from the veteran.

Haqparast vs Garcia was great fun. Wasn’t ideal for either man with Haqparast getting his opponent switched on a week’s notice and of course Garcia was coming in last minute. They both just stood and slung leather the whole 3 rounds though. I think I said in the opening post that I barely remembered Haqparast despite seeing him fight a few times. Well, he was great to watch here. Loved all the elbows in close and from different angles. And Rafa Garcia was nails and wouldn’t take a backwards step. Haqparast rightly won but I’m looking forward to seeing Garcia back with a full camp. If you didn’t see this fight, there’s worse ways to spend 15 minutes.

Only caught half of the JJ Aldrich vs Cortney Casey from where the BT Sport coverage picked up. Nothing memorable apart from Casey getting spin kicked straight in the camel toe...

2D97CBAE-4617-4462-BF6C-F2B84E450252.gif

Happy Mother’s Day, eh? I don’t know if Casey even has kids but that can’t have been fun all the same.

Didn’t see the Fight Pass prelims but Jinh Yu Frey finally got that much needed first Octagon win, which was nice to see. Oh and the first fight of the night ended in 16 seconds with Matthew Semelsberger killing a man...

8CC790D0-D853-4920-AEF1-CE1FEAB3A55C.gif

Solid show. Shame about the ending. There was no FOTN bonus given but Grant vs Martinez, Jourdain vs Rojo and Haqparast vs Garcia would all have been worthy of it. Tight arse Dana should’ve coughed up $50K each for them really.

• Paid Members

Sorry for the bump but Leon Edwards is going to be on Rogan’s podcast. 

329-E6683-BB23-4710-8-F11-48-CEFC815747.

Looking forward to this. Edwards’ story is a pretty interesting one that hasn’t been told to death. Born in Jamaica, left there and ended up in the Aston area of Birmingham (trust me, quite a comedown from Kingston), his old man got murdered when Leon was 9, he got involved with gangs and crime until eventually getting into MMA training. Then of course there’s that whole chapter. How him and his brother got into it, his fight with Usman earlier in both men’s UFC careers, the winning streak, the Masvidal handbags, the Belal Muhammad stuff recently with the eye poke etc, what’s next? There’s a lot to cover. That’s if Rogan actually lets him speak without just turning it into weed and conspiracy waffle.

I didn’t see it posted here but this was a bit spooky as well. Edwards was posting stuff about Marvin Hagler throughout fight week and talked about how he was watching his old fights in the run up to this show and how he motivated him.

He wasn’t saying this for effect after finding out Hagler died either. This was his last Instagram post before his fight Saturday night, hours before the news broke of Hagler’s passing.

39-C6-FC5-E-50-F5-4154-8-E9-A-6618-E2-BB

Pure coincidence, obviously, but a bit spooky. It’s not like Hagler’s name has been commonly brought up by today’s fighters as being an inspiration.

But yeah, I can’t really be arsed with Rogan at all anymore but I’ll give this podcast a watch/listen.

Edit - And here’s a clip of it. Rogan and Edwards talking about Hagler;

Edited by wandshogun09

• Moderators
5 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Looking forward to this. Edwards’ story is a pretty interesting one that hasn’t been told to death. Born in Jamaica, left there and ended up in the Aston area of Birmingham (trust me, quite a comedown from Kingston), his old man got murdered when Leon was 9, he got involved...

So whats your diet like? You eat elk?