Death of the Union.

• Paid Members

Surely an easy argument is that Scotland has consistently voted for EU membership and left of centre parties, yet finds itself governed from London by Tories and out of the EU against its will.

Not much of a union if its views counts for nothing.

Edited by garynysmon
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm an anti-unionist who wants England to be cut off and left to murder itself from within, and then for a Merseychester republic to emerge and declare independence from beneath the rubble. Fuck the U

England are only interested in a union of nations if they’re the ones in charge. I think a lot of English people subscribe to this. You hear them go on about how we are an island nation, so they don’t

I think only butch wants to submit to the iron rule of Cerys Matthews. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

One thing I remember seeing brought up during the indyref was if Spain would block an independent Scotland from joining the EU in order to dissuade independence pushes from Catatonia. Did Spain ever say anything to the contrary?

I think only butch wants to submit to the iron rule of Cerys Matthews. 

One thing that has assisted the SNP over the past decade or so is the complete lack of a credible leader for Scottish Labour. They essentially needed their own Nicola Sturgeon or Ruth Davidson to push forward, but ended up on a slippery slope of poor choice after poor choice, helping assist their decline to where they are now. 

Campaigning with the Tories in 2014 obviously didn't help them, but their decline to becoming Scotland's third party wasn't inevitable. Their most recent leader, Richard Leonard, could have easily decided to switch his names around one day and no one would have noticed, he was an utter non-entity. 

The lack of an effective left wing pro-union voice since the Brexit vote is an important factor, in my opinion, when it comes to the tide turning in favour of independence. Given how narrow the yes/no margins are right now, an effective Labour leader could make some level of difference in swinging opinions towards remaining in the UK, particularly since they can point to Brexit and essentially say "it'll be this but worse", whether that's accurate or not. 

• 4 weeks later...