UFC Vegas: Rozenstruik vs Gane - Feb 27 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

5 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Saturday 27th February inĀ Vegas. This isĀ looking like a corker so far...

1-C2-B9-A4-D-52-D9-4-ABF-9145-B5204-BEFB

ESPN+ MAIN CARD
Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Ciryl Gane

Nikita Krylov vs Magomed Ankalaev

Montana De La Rosa vs Mayra Bueno SilvaĀ 

Pedro Munhoz vs Jimmie RiveraĀ 

Alex Caceres vs Kevin Croom

ESPN+/FIGHT PASS PRELIMS
Alexander Hernandez vs Thiago Moises

Alexis Davis vs Sabina Mazo

Vince Cachero vs Ronnie Lawrence

Dustin Jacoby vs Maxim GrishinĀ 

Ā 

That wonā€™t be the complete card and itā€™s not the final bout orderĀ but Iā€™m loving the look of it so far. IĀ expect a few fights to be added to this yet but probably nothing major as itā€™s already looking strong at the top end for a Fight Night.

Ā 

E5-A47-BD5-9-AF9-4-CC9-BCA2-0-EF824-EDD6

Jairzinho Rozenstruik vs Ciryl Gane headlines. Of course, it was originally supposed to be Reyes vs Prochazka topping this one. Gutted thatā€™s off but this is about as good a save as they couldā€™ve made, to be fair. The Heavyweight division gets a lot of stick for its lack of depth but there are someĀ standouts there. And these are probably the best two as far as the relatively new faces go. I love this matchup. Itā€™s a fight I couldā€™ve seen headlining a card in Europe if the world wasnā€™t still being buggered with no lube by COVID. Two big Heavyweight strikers, stylistically itā€™s a fight that would go down well in front of a Dutch or UK crowd especially. Oh well. Suriname vs France. Actually, I may be wrong but I think Rozenstruik might be the first Surinamese fighter to grace the UFCā€™s Octagon.

33-CD0-E5-A-99-D5-4-E15-B945-AA5153-E2-A

Jairzinho Rozenstruik is a bad dude. Before he got into MMA, he was a Kickboxer. And as you can see by the photo above, he did pretty well for himself. He went 76-8-1 overall. And of his 76 wins, 64 came by knockout. Yeah, Rozey doesnā€™t play around. Heā€™d already had a bit of a dabble in the MMA side of things in 2012 but he didnā€™t make the full switch until 2017. By the end of 2018, he was 6-0 in MMA with 5 first round knockouts. Thatā€™s when the UFC came calling. He made his Octagon debut in early 2019 and found immediate success, knocking out his first 3 opponents in less than a minute. He put Allen Crowder away in just 9 seconds! Which surely has to rank high on the all time fastest knockouts in Heavyweight history. Off the top of my head I can only think of Todd Duffee vs Tim Hague from way back that was quicker. After that, Rozenstruik steamrolled Andrei Arlovski in 29 seconds at MSG and that was that. Heā€™d arrived. He got his first real big break in December 2019, a main event spot against Alistair Overeem. For 4 and a half rounds, it wasnā€™t looking good. Overeem was in control and well on his way to handing Jair his first MMA loss. ButĀ at 4:56Ā of the 5th and final round...

5E899F55-567B-4E3D-99FF-AD6839AD1024.gif

Yes, with just 4 seconds to go! Rozenstruik snatched victory from the jaws of defeat. And split Reemā€™s lip wide open in the process. One of the most gruesome cuts Iā€™ve seen in years. But with how the fight had gone before that and with the circumstances surrounding the finish, it didnā€™t really feel like Rozenstruikā€™s stock was raised much. A lot of people seemed to chalk it up as a fluke. I mean, he wasĀ losing every round and even the stoppage itself mightā€™ve been a bit iffy. But I still think itā€™s a bit harsh on Rozey. In the end, it was his toughness that kept him in there for 25 minutes and his refusal to break mentally and him still trying to win what looked like a losing battle right to the end is what created the opportunity to pull that knockout off in the dying seconds of the fight. Itā€™s also forgotten that Rozenstruik had taken the fight on just 2 weeks notice after that horrible tragedy took Walt Harris out. Regardless, Rozenstruikā€™s first loss was coming anyway. He got done in 20 seconds by Francis Ngannou at UFC 249 in May. But he bounced back nicely with a TKO over Junior Dos Santos in August. His record standsĀ at 11-1.

A3-F3-DF38-B786-43-D9-9-FFD-72-FC926579-

Ciryl Gane is 30 years old and fights out of Paris, France. Anthony Joshuaā€™s twin brother from another (French) mother. Like his opponent here, he also travelledĀ the path of Kickboxing thenĀ transitioning over to MMA. Much less experienced than Rozenstruik in combat sports overall but Iā€™ve got a good feeling about him. Iā€™ve been saying for a while now that I think heā€™s the most promising new Heavyweight thatā€™s came through in ages. Thereā€™s so much shite at Heavyweight and we really havenā€™t had much in the way of exciting new blood in recent years. But Gane sticks out like a sore thumb in the UFCā€™s big boy division as someone who has the potential to become something a bit special. He went 7-0 in Kickboxing with 5 knockouts. He jumped over to MMA in 2018 and heā€™s now 7-0 in that game as well with 6 finishes. You look at him on paper and heā€™s from a striking background and just physically looks like a destroyer, you assume heā€™s just going to be a big lump going for the knockout. But thereā€™s layers to his game. Heā€™s not really a slugger at all. Heā€™s more of a volume and combination striker. Deceptively light on his feet and fast for a big unit. And so far in his MMA career, heā€™s had as many wins by submission as he has by knockout. He even pulled off a heel hook finish in one of his UFC fights. Hes more than just a striker. Heā€™s clearly working on everything. An interesting wrinkle here is that he trains with Francis Ngannou...

F94-E1709-5-E2-E-4-DF4-ADE2-E0-EBBBDBF9-

So heā€™s probably already pretty much done a camp for Rozenstruik last year when Ngannou was training for him. Heā€™s had a head start to learn Rozeyā€™s strengths, weaknesses, habits and little quirks. I also love that Gane and Ngannou train together. I mean, itā€™s cack that it probably means theyā€™ll never fight each other but itā€™s like Randy Couture used to say all the time, ā€œiron sharpens ironā€. Theyā€™ll only make each other better. Anyway, Gane started his MMA career going 3-0 in the TKO promotion in Canada. The same promotion where GSP started out. In his MMA debut, Gane won the vacant TKO Heavyweight title. He debuted in the UFC in the summer of 2019 and right away there was a bit of mystery about him. He said at the time that 7 different opponents turned down the fight before his debut. Raphael Pessoa stepped up and got submitted in a round on the Uruguay card. From there Gane heel hooked Donā€™Tale Mayes in Singapore and decisioned Tanner Boser in South Korea. But again, he struggled to find willing opponents and ended up being inactive for nearly all of 2020 due to opponents pulling out. He had 5 fights scheduled between April and October last year and they all fell apart. And 4 out of the 5 were the opponents dropping out. Because of this, Ganeā€™sĀ had to be stepped up a level sooner than was probably planned. The lower and mid level Heavies didnā€™t seem to want any so they threw Gane in with former champ Junior Dos Santos at UFC 256 in December. While JDS has clearly lost a couple of steps, he was still a considerable step up for Gane.

42AA0541-3B99-4A6E-96D0-9953E229CB80.gif

But Gane rose to the challenge and got him out of there in 2 rounds. You canā€™t really go backwards after beating a name like JDS so he was always going to get another biggish fight next. This was supposed to go down in March as co-main event under Edwards vs Chimaev but with the reshuffle itā€™s a bigger fight now. Main event over 5 rounds. Love it. Rozenstruikā€™s shown before he can go 25 minutes and heā€™s still dangerous at the very end. But this is new territory for Gane. I like both but Iā€™d like to see Gane win. Itā€™s a tough one on paper though. Iā€™ll be interested to see how he approaches it. I think we might see more of his ground game in this one but weā€™ll see how it plays out.

Ā 

06-A236-AD-4-B07-418-F-A60-E-CA82-F322-E

Nikita Krylov vs Magomed Ankalaev. Didnā€™t know this was booked. I like it. Krylov beat Johnny Walker on points last March. The bastard. Heā€™s also got wins over OSP, Fabio Maldonado, Ed Herman and he even stopped Walt Harris back in his Heavyweight days. Heā€™s 26-7 now and his only losses in recent years have came against Glover Teixeira and the current champ Jan Blachowicz. Heā€™s decent. On a good night he can catch a lot of guys slipping. But I donā€™t see him ever really hanging with the cream of the crop at 205 on a consistent basis. I think Ankalaev could be that guy though. Really like what Iā€™ve seen of him. Heā€™s 28 years old from Dagestan, 14-1 with 9 knockouts. His only loss was that crazy submission against Paul Craig back in 2018. A fight Ankalaev was dominating but then got caught in a triangle and subbedĀ at 4:59Ā of the third round. Yes. If heā€™d hung on ONE MORE SECOND heā€™d still be undefeated now. Heā€™s bounced back in style though, rattling off 5 straight wins, 4 by knockout. He had probably the standout performance of his career last time out, destroying Ion Cutelaba in their rematch on the Khabib-Gaethje undercard in October. I think Ankalaev should be winning this but Krylovā€™s surprised me a couple of times before so who knows? Should be good while it lasts regardless.

Ā 

D1-D051-B6-52-B1-4763-ACBE-BA7-E2-CD39-B

Montana De La Rosa vs Mayra Bueno Silva. Not grabbing me. De La Rosa has been a bit hit and missĀ for me. I remember her looking decent on whichever season of TUF she appeared on, and she had a couple of nice wins after that. But sheā€™s stumbled a bit recently. Sheā€™s 11-6 now and coming off a points loss to Viviane Araujo. Sheā€™s still only 26 so thereā€™s some time, I guess. Donā€™t know much about Silva. Quick glance at her Wiki page says sheā€™s 7-1 with 6 finishes, mostly submissions. She was on DWCS and sheā€™s submitted Gillian Robertson and Mara Romero Borella so far in the UFC.

Ā 

64-E536-E8-6-FD1-4-FFA-A9-BA-E24898-D73-

Pedro Munhoz vs Jimmie Rivera 2 isĀ ***WANDā€™S ONE TO WATCH***Ā this time. Quality fight. I just hope it happens this time. So far itā€™s been scheduled for the Chiesa vs Magny and UFC 258 cards and has fell apart both times. Belter of a fight if it comes off. Like the Dariush vs Ferreira rematch recently, I didnā€™tĀ remember these guys fighting before at all. They first met in November 2015 on the undercard of Vitor Belfort vs Dan Henderson 3 in Brazil. I mustā€™ve seen it at the time but I have zero memory of it. Rivera won a split decision. Of the two, Iā€™m more of a Munhoz fan so Iā€™ll be pulling for him to even the score here. Not sure how it goes though. Munhoz is really tough and exciting to watch. His recent record doesnā€™t really do him justice. I think I had him beating Frankie Edgar in their 5 rounder in August but the decision went against him. Before that he lost to Aljamain Sterling in a corker. Before that he walloped Cody Garbrandt into oblivion. Similar with Rivera really. Heā€™s lost 3 of his last 5 but those losses were to Yan, Sterling and an in-formĀ Moraes. He went 21-1 at the start of his career with wins over the likes of Urijah Faber, Thomas Almeida and, as mentioned, Munhoz himself. Looking forward to this. Iā€™ve really grown to love the Bantamweight division over the last year or so. As good a fighter as Henry Cejudo is/was, the division has improved tenfold for me since he vacated the belt and pissed off. Itā€™s allowed what was a total mess of a title picture to be sorted out and now all these guys have a clear goal to focus on and aim for. So many quality fighters at 135 and whoever winsĀ this puts themselves right back in the race.

Ā 

435-CD00-D-F35-D-4-FC7-B2-A0-20-D8480-D3

Alex Caceres vs Kevin Croom. Or if weā€™re using nicknames - ā€˜Bruce Leeroyā€˜ vs ā€˜The Hard Hitting Hillbillyā€™. Thisā€™ll be fun. Caceres has been a fixture of the undercards for years now. Mad to think he was on the TUF with GSP and Josh Koscheck as coaches all the way back in 2010! Heā€™s 17-12-0-1 now. Heā€™s a journeyman card filler but heā€™s had his moments. The highlight probably being his submission win over Sergio Pettis in 2014. Even as recently as last year, he derailed Chase Hooper and handed him his first loss. Heā€™s coming off 3 straight wins now. Heā€™s not a bad fighter at all. His record doesnā€™t look pretty and he wonā€™t beat your contenders but heā€™s got some sneaky skills and heā€™s usually consistently entertaining to watch. Iā€™m not as familiar with Croom but this seems pretty evenly matched. Heā€™s 27-12-0-1 with wins over Darrick Minner and, randomly, Charles ā€˜Krazy Horseā€™ Bennett. He made his UFC debut in September, taking on Roosevelt Roberts on just 24 hours notice and pretty much stole the show. He submitted Roberts in just 30 seconds.

CE9-A6-C85-44-A0-4027-B507-3-F0-CCD6-AA3

His celebration wouldnā€™t last long though. The win got overturned to a No Contest because Croom likes a spliff.

Ā 

D84-C21-E2-B1-AD-4-DA5-B437-7070-A078368

Alexander Hernandez vs Thiago Moises. This is a good little piece of matchmaking. Iā€™m saying it all the time but fucking hell Lightweight. The depth at 155 is just stupid. This is a cracking fight and these two will probably never get within a sniff of a title shot at Lightweight. Never liked Hernandez. Seems a prick. Not a bad fighter though. Heā€™s come unstuck against Cowboy Cerrone and Drew Dober, which was satisfying to watch, but thereā€™s certainlyĀ potential there and heā€™s stillĀ only 28. He looked great in his last fight, bashing up Chris Gruetzemacher in 2 minutes. But Gruetzemacher hadnā€™t fought in over 2 years and it looked like a total mismatch and a squash. So itā€™s hard to heapĀ too much praise on Hernandez for that. Plus I donā€™t want to because heā€™s a twat. Moises is 14-4 and coming off wins over Bobby Green and Michael Johnson. Heā€™s had his ups and downs but heā€™s been on good form recently. Hopefully he keeps that up here and sendsĀ Hernandez back to the loss column.

Ā 

24-FA951-C-3-F5-B-43-F0-AEB4-760-A45-D63

Alexis Davis vs Sabina Mazo. Not too bothered about this. Davis hasnā€™t ever really been a world beater but she was one of the better women fighters in the game at one point. Sheā€™s a real veteran who was around when womenā€™s MMA was just an occasional novelty. Wins over Tonya Evinger, Julie Kedzie, Rosi Sexton, Shayna Baszler, Sarah Kaufman etc. She even has a TKO win over Amanda Nunes back in 2011! If you were watching at the time you know Davis was legit but to people whoā€™ve only seen her in the UFC, sheā€™s a bit of a jobber. If sheā€™s remembered at all itā€™s probably for getting ragdolled and knocked goofy by Ronda Rousey in seconds that time.

A764E32A-ED29-4B9D-8E86-C7ABEBF75850.gif

Brutal. Sheā€™s 36 now and coming off 3 losses. Sheā€™s got the look of a fighter on the way out. Sheā€™s up against Sabina Mazo. A 23 year old Colombian with a record of 9-1. She submitted Justine Kish last time out. Davis obviously has a huge experience advantage here. But the timing of this feels like theyā€™re trying to give her a little nudge out the door and using a younger model to do it.

Ā 

EFA53292-3-FA6-4-A41-8592-04168-E589907.

Vince Cachero vs Ronny Lawrence. Fuck knows. Donā€™t recall hearing of either of them. Cachero fought in the UFC in August apparently. Lost a decision to Jamall Emmers šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø Heā€™s 7-3 with 4 finishes. Lawrence was on DWCS and from the tiny bit of digging Iā€™ve done, heā€™s being talked about pretty highly for whatever he did on there. Heā€™s 6-1 with 3 knockouts and fights out of American Top Team.

Ā 

11-AE4-E8-F-3-ABE-4845-AA6-E-D97120-ED06

Dustin Jacoby vs Maxim Grishin. Looking forward to this one. Got a feeling this could well stealĀ the show. Jacoby is a hard bastard. Heā€™s taken his lumps and lost fights along the way but heā€™s kept plugging away and heā€™s back in the UFC. Heā€™s had quite a journey. From the unsuccessful UFC stint about a decade ago to WSOF, Bellator, GLORY Kickboxing, a dabble in Pro Boxing. Heā€™s had a bash at everything. He won a fight on DWCS in August and got back in the door. His first fight back in the Octagon went down in October on the Uriah Hall vs Anderson Silva undercard. And he kicked the absolute shite out of Justin Ledet and put him away in a round. Grishin isnā€™t exactly lacking in experience himself. Heā€™s 36 years old with a record of 31-8 and 22 finishes. He dropped a decision in his UFC debut against Marcin Tybura in July but bounced back with a TKO over Gadzhimurad Antigulov in October. He has a submission over Alexander Volkov on his record as well from way back in 2010 as well as aĀ winĀ over Trevor Prangley (blast from the past). No cakewalk for Jacoby this. Should be a tougher battle than Ledet provided.

Ā 

Well up for this one.Ā 

Ā 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

had no idea Prochazka was getting a headline slotšŸ˜®

The UFC have been slow confirming it. They still havenā€™t made it official but Jiri confirmed the fight;

MMA Fighting reported it as the likely headliner but I donā€™t know what the holdup is on the UFCā€™s end in making it official.Ā 

• Paid Members

Fuck sake. Looks like Reyes vs Prochazka is either off or being moved to another card. Rozenstruik vs Gane (originally scheduled for March 13th) is now the main event for this apparently.

Iā€™m hopingĀ this means Reyes vs Jiri is being moved to the 258 co-main spotĀ to replace the cancelled Hall vs Weidman fight but weā€™ll see. Itā€™ll be shit if itā€™s off completely.Ā 

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Fight Night: Rozenstruik vs Gane - Feb 27 šŸ‡ŗšŸ‡ø

Ronnie Lawrence was great in his DWCS fight, he got a unanimous decision victory which he just dominated from start to finish. He took his opponent down over and over and continuously tried to get the submission but the guy was made of rubber and kept getting out of there. Sometimes I think a 15 minute dominance shows a lot more an impressive knock out in the first round. He certainly looked a good prospect.

One thing of note I remembered was he was incredibly critical of his own performance which was madness when you see how dominant he was so I look forward to seeing him try and doĀ better this time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Updated the opening post and the redone the poll for Rozenstruik vs Gane.Ā 

Nice write up there Wand for the new main event. It's rare that we lose such a good fight and get a replacement of this standard in it's place.Ā 

• Paid Members

The name Barcelos always reminds me of Nando's - one of the restaurants I went to had a story painted on the wall about the inspiration for their logo, a rooster in the middle of the Portuguese amulet, which was apparently from the story of the Barcelos Cockerel.

• Paid Members

looking at this, its one of those sneaky good cards that ive completely overlooked.Ā 

Randy Brown in out against Cowboy though. They are bringing in a Russian bloke named Ramzan Kuramagomedov who's 8-0. Expect him to be a beast.