Jump to content

Did that really happen?


tiger_rick
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Paid Members

Listening to a pod from a year or two ago and they mentioned Cain Velasquez debuting in WWE and I realised I'd completely forgotten that even happened. I haven't seen the Lesnar match, haven't watched a Saudi shitshow since the first one or two.

Cain-Brock.jpg

Similarly, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a pic on Google images and remembered Tyson Fury having a match in WWE. I've not seen it either but considering he's the king of heavyweight boxing, it's seriously unmemorable. 

What have you almost forgotten?

Edited by tiger_rick
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Those Saudi shows operate in a completely different universe. For the right amount of money anything can happen on those shows. Didn't a fat lad from the performance centre turn in that Greatest Royal Rumble because the Saudi's wanted Yokozuna and he was the closest they could get, or have I imagined that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I love this sort of thing, because there’s loads of stuff that just doesn’t seem like it actually happened.

I always go back to the Morrison/R-Truth feud that was started because during a main event advert on Raw, Truth had a bottle of water. Morrison started taking the piss that Truth had no gas tank because he smoked, so on a London Raw, Truth beat Morrison up, actually lit a Marlboro light and blew the smoke in Morrison’s face. Think he might have even borrowed the lighter from someone in the audience.

Just so un-WWE, particularly at the height of their child friendly programming.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Cosmic Wasteland. I'd completely forgotten that they existed until I stumbled upon this skit on Youtube a few weeks ago:

 

Even now I have no idea how or when they formed, why they formed or what actually happened to them (although WWE may have just quietly stopped using them as a unit, quite correctly assuming that no one would notice)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Supremo said:

That mad couple of weeks when WWE matches weren’t allowed to through an advert break, so every single match was either a best two-out-of-three or required some type of wonky, over-complicated restart. Mental.

This was truly bizarre. Incredible that it happened on one show, let alone a few weeks. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
19 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

The Cosmic Wasteland. I'd completely forgotten that they existed until I stumbled upon this skit on Youtube a few weeks ago:

 

Even now I have no idea how or when they formed, why they formed or what actually happened to them (although WWE may have just quietly stopped using them as a unit, quite correctly assuming that no one would notice)

It's night and day seeing Cody like this compared to him doing his own thing.  Not that he wasn't decent in this role - he went for it, and it's a big performance, and it mostly works. But just look at his eyes while he's doing it. He's just going through the motions, even while talking about stuff he clearly likes (he's a comic book fan, after all). It's all mannerisms and affectations. Compare it to him doing his own thing, and you can see his focus and his self-belief. 

I'd been surprised when he talked about hating being Stardust, but trying to give it his all. You can actually see both parts of that here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Nope, you haven't, although he wasn't a performance centre trainee but an actual ex-sumo called Hiroki Sumi. Word had it that Yoko was a massive favourite of someone in the Saudi ruling class, iirc.

So they had to hire him in from outside WWE? I assumed he was at the PC and one day Albert got a phone call from Vince saying "The Saudi's want Yoko but he's dead, have we got anyone who is a big sumo looking lad under contract who we can claim is his son?"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

That mad couple of weeks when WWE matches weren’t allowed to through an advert break, so every single match was either a best two-out-of-three or required some type of wonky, over-complicated restart. Mental.

I thought about that the other day after reading the Vinny Mac chat in the petty annoyances thread. I think it was @BomberPatmentioned a lot of it has some reasonireasoning and that one always jumps out at me for that. People often complain about matches having ad breaks. Either that also annoyed Vince or the feedback got to him. So he decided to solve it. 

I think the answer to that is simple. Book shorter matches. But no, they still insist on long TV matches except now every match has some sort of restart. Madness.

I wonder if they considered doing rounds?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

Similarly, a couple of weeks ago, I saw a pic on Google images and remembered Tyson Fury having a match in WWE. I've not seen it either but considering he's the king of heavyweight boxing, it's seriously unmemorable.

Fury's WWE stint popped into my head the other day with exactly this thought. It's mad, the actual current reigning World Heavyweight boxing champion wrestled a match in WWE and it was utterly meaningless.

I'm not entirely sure it was just a Saudi issue either, I dunno if it would have been much more memorable had it been at Mania.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, Supremo said:

That mad couple of weeks when WWE matches weren’t allowed to through an advert break, so every single match was either a best two-out-of-three or required some type of wonky, over-complicated restart. Mental.

Christ, when was this? Intrigued enough to try and watch an episode on WWE Network as that just sounds… impractical.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Wasn't there a few weeks where the refs were told to check the shoulders before counting and so would put there hand flat on the mat and softly slide it along the mat to touch both shoulders with thier finger tips before starting the count? 

It makes perfect sense if it's not visibly clear if the shoulders down and would be a nice little addition but it was every fall, resulting in refs doing this odd new little hand slide every time someone was laid out like a starfish until whoever gave them the order to do it changed thier mind. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Wasn't there a few weeks where the refs were told to check the shoulders before counting and so would put there hand flat on the mat and softly slide it along the mat to touch both shoulders with thier finger tips before starting the count? 

It makes perfect sense if it's not visibly clear if the shoulders down and would be a nice little addition but it was every fall, resulting in refs doing this odd new little hand slide every time someone was laid out like a starfish until whoever gave them the order to do it changed their mind. 

Pretty sure that was originally Hebner's way of telling the pinnee to kick out.

Rather than checking every fall, I'd rather they just refused to count if the victim's shoulders were clearly off the mat. And don't give me any of that "shoulder BLADES" rubbish; if you're practically mid-Spinarooni, you're not being pinned. Be better at wrestling.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...