UFC 258: Usman vs Burns - Feb 13 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

As much as I’d love to see Oliveira vs Chandler and as much as this card could do with a fight like that, I don’t blame Oliveira at all for turning it down. He’s probably done more than anyone to earn a crack at the gold so I see where he’s coming from. It’s a risky game sitting out, as we’ve seen in the past. And in the end I still think we’ll probably end up with Poirier vs McGregor 3 for the vacant title next. But, although the quote says the short notice wasn’t an issue, it surely played a part as well. Oliveira is on a hot streak right now after a load of ups and downs earlier in his career. He’s finally putting it all together and he’s coming off the biggest win of his career against Tony Ferguson. Why would he, at this point, take another contender fight on just 2 weeks notice?

They’re doing this more and more lately. Offering guys fights on ridiculously short notice. I get that building cards is harder than ever at the moment, and keeping them together is proving even more difficult. But it’s crackers really to expect top fighters at this level to keep just diving in on 2-3 weeks notice, and even less in some cases. Then if they don’t take the fight, more often than not they get shat on by fans and/or Dana himself publicly. I saw an interview with Justin Gaethje the other day talking about it. He said he likes to have a long training camp but the UFC keep offering him fights just a few weeks out and he’s not willing to go in there with less prep time. I’m sure they get the hump when fighters say no but fuck them. Oliveira is closer than he’s ever been to finally getting in a position to maybe win the title and make some serious coin. It’s all well and good doing a favour, being a ‘company man’ and taking the Chandler fight on a fortnight’s notice but if he loses that he’s back down the ladder, stuck on the same money and he might never get back there. And the day after 258, Dana’s not arsed about him anymore. 

• Paid Members

Seems the bout order is complete. Barber vs Grasso as co-main event 😒

I don’t even dislike the fight. It should be a lot of fun given Grasso’s track record and Barber’s aggression. But that as PPV co-main isn’t the best. I’d have just bumped Munhoz vs Rivera 2 into that spot myself. That’s the best fight on the card for me and the winner should be landing a biggish fight at 135 next. Don’t really get why Simon vs Kelleher is that far down the card either. Especially below fights like Marquez vs Pitolo and Viana vs Martin. Oh well. It’s not a bad card in terms of actual fights, and the main event is fantastic. I wouldn’t fancy paying PPV like the yanks do for it though. 

I was just saying to my mate it's time's like this I'm so grateful to be living in the UK because imagine being a fan of the UFC and being forced to fork out $60/$70 for that piss poor PPV card. I know they are in a unusual situation with the whole covid situation but it's like they have just given up trying to put together good PPV cards and they have now got into the mindset of relying on the main event to shift sales. I am going to be incredibly interested in how many sales this shifts 

37 minutes ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I was just saying to my mate it's time's like this I'm so grateful to be living in the UK because imagine being a fan of the UFC and being forced to fork out $60/$70 for that piss poor PPV card. I know they are in a unusual situation with the whole covid situation but it's like they have just given up trying to put together good PPV cards and they have now got into the mindset of relying on the main event to shift sales. I am going to be incredibly interested in how many sales this shifts 

Yeah its not great for this PPV but the next two are fantastic and will be stacked up so I'm not too fussed plus sometimes the unfancied event ends up being a banger.

• Paid Members

Barber/Grasso is a stinking PPV co-main. If Barber was still riding the wave of momentum she was on it may have made sense about now but she lost badly and has been out for a while. That said, shes one of the handful of female fighters i do enjoy watching.

• Paid Members

Even if Barber was still unbeaten I don’t think it’d cut it even as a Fight Night co-main. Like I said, it’s a fun fight. If you haven’t seen Grasso, Ebb, she actually dragged Carla Esparza to a FOTN bonus not too long ago so her and Barber is an exciting clash on paper. But it’s main card opener at best for me. Under the circumstances though, I don’t think they had many options. Sounds like they chucked all their eggs in the Chandler vs Oliveira basket and when Oliveira said no they were shit out of luck. 

It's about time UFC fans got with the times and stopped expecting a loaded PPV every time out. With more frequent cards, and more cards on ESPN+ it's time to accept that the PPV's are now being driven by the main event. Nothing more.

This is closer to the boxing model now. You're not buying UFC 258, you're buying the Usman vs Burns title fight. If you don't like that main, then don't buy the card. The other fights are just filler for the most part, and even with the occasional decent main card bout you're still getting more bang for your buck than boxing fans do.

• Paid Members

we had this discussion before, but the UFC to its credit hits it out of the park card wise for PPV's more often than not. There always seems to be that odd one though that doesn't reach the same standards. It would be more of a problem if every PPV started being poor, but that isnt the case.

The next PPV has 3 title fights on it for example. We cant complain.

• Paid Members

Problem is here, its not a box office main event really. Usman isnt a draw and Burns is still fairly unknown. This event needed icing. Despite Usman/Burns being an awesome fight.

If they had done Adesanya/Blachowicz headlining here and put Usman/Burns on the loads 259 card i think it would feel abit more sense.

• Paid Members

Masvidal? him against Usman sold 1.3 million PPV's. Wonder if those sales wil rub off on Usman drawing power here?

Adesanya/Costa did 700k so id consider Adesanya a draw at this point.

Jon Jones? Nate Diaz?

Conor is on a whole other level though in terms of drawing PPV sales. 

Wow as if this PPV needed anymore blows they loose yet another fight less than 24 hours before the show. I was actually talking about the Green vs Miller fight yesterday with my mate so it sucks it's fallen apart. This card is doomed you have to hope and pray the main event actually pays off and is exciting.