UFC 258: Usman vs Burns - Feb 13 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Very enjoyable PPV, I thought. Pitolo/Marquez was a great opener, the middle three bouts were all good scraps, and the main event delivered.

Usman was fantastic. To be fair, he was almost Overeem-esque any time Burns hit him in the first round, which goes to show you the power Burns had. Has to be considered a massive strategic mistake by Burns (and his corner) to decide to lay on his back and allow Usman 2 full minutes to recover after rocking Usman badly in the first minute. There was no attempt to even try and stand up. Who knows how the fight would have gone had he done so, as even after two minutes of recovery, Usman looked super vulnerable any time Burns hit him toward the end of the round. Wittman's strategy and cornering was top notch again, and led to the win.

What was up with the new camera style they were using before and after the fights? It was like watching a film at times. 

Seems like theyve jumped onto the 8k Camera bangwagon that everyone else is doing these days. Did anyone here think they added something to the show, in a good way? I think, same as what it did with WWE, it looks awful. Maybe I need a 4K TV and stream to really see the benefits, but as it is, I think its distractingly bad, with the constant in and out of focus that it does. Just doesnt look real and adds nothing.

Very enjoyable PPV from top to bottom. I guess Usman has now lost 2 rounds in his UFC career, he looked incredible but he didn't look unbeatable, if Burns would have played it more smart when he rocked him then the outcome could have been completely different. I think the Colby rematch is the fight to make, I love Masvidal with a passion but he doesn't want anything to do with Usman. Colby is game so that's the fight UFC should make.

Marquez cut an incredible promo afterwards, I'm not sure if I have seen him before but I won't forget him now, he had a great style, he was throwing bombs and he wanted to win. The Miley Cyrus call out was great as well.

Alexa Grasso is becoming one of my favourites, as already mentioned, I hope they don't rush her into a title shot too quickly, Valentina would pick her a part at this stage.

It was awesome to see Kelvin get the win, I would rather he fights some one lower ranked with him, I'd like to see him pick up another win rather than try and climb up the rankings. 

EDIT: Almost forget to mention, I absolutely hated the 8k cameras. It made it seem like I was watching a sports movie which is not what I want when I'm watching live sports.

Edited by Zebra Kid Mark

1 hour ago, neil said:

Usman is a beast. Coming back from that early onslaught by Burns was impressive, his jab is just brutal. I wonder if Burns regrets all that time on his back after stunning Usman, that really seemed to give him time to recover.

The Marquez fight was fun and a great last round for him coming back and finishing with that anaconda.

I don't think I've seen someone gas as hard as Vierra since the Mark Coleman days. That is incredibly embarrassing for him with his BJJ credentials to be tapped out by a purple belt, but also because really he just gave up due to exhaustion, there was no fight to even get out of that sub.

Great sub by Viana in the prelims. Is it just me or is anyone else getting grossed out by this seeming trend for UFC fighters to not tap anymore? I'm grimacing everytime I see someone in a fully locked in sub just letting it go way too far. Also fuck Rogan for his podcast-esque ask about the mugging - so stupid.

On that topic, I'm so over Rogan commentating. With more and more shows happening, and luckily Rogan only doing US based PPVs now, I've gotten used to him not commentating and its such a disappointment when he pops up on one. Not only is his shtick really boring but he brings the likes of DC down with him.

You're not on on your own when it comes to Rogan. He adds nothing worthwhile. I'd much rather have Paul Felder or Bisping on instead. 

• Paid Members

Top performance from Usman considering the early adversity. Like everyone else, im not sure what Burns was doing butt scooting after the early success but you gotta think it cost him.

170lb is in a strange spot now. Leon/Chimaev must be kicking themselves that they didnt fight in December because i think the path would have been clear for the winner of that to be next for Usman.

Usman has more or less cleaned out the WW division now. 

I'm not interested in him rematching Masvidal, Covington or Burns, because he clearly has their number. He beat Covington while striking from the range, the one area where Covington should have had the advantage over him. He withstood Burns' early onslaught, which was the only way Burns was going to win given Usman's advantage in terms of cardio. Masvidal would just get smothered in the clinch and on the ground again. 

Wonderboy is the highest ranked contender that Usman doesn't hold a win over. And over 5 years has passed since Usman defeated Edwards. Yet, I don't think there would be enough interest in those fights for the UFC to book them. As Ebb touched on above, perhaps if Edwards had smashed Chimaev in December, or vice versa, things might be different. 

So yeah, sadly a rematch with either Masvidal and Covington is probably next for Usman. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

Yeah normally somebody always presents themselves as a viable contender, and in this case it would have been the winner of Edwards Vs Chimaev. With that going down the shitter, it's really only Thompson that I would have an interest in. I don't think the UFC will book it though, they'll go with Masvidal, should Masvidal want it, or like Jim says, with Colby. 

Usman looked great again, getting rocked made him look better in a way as he seemed vulnerable for a time yet rallied and made it a statement win. 

Trevor Wittman's stock is at an all time high these days. He's like this generation's Firas Zahabi or Greg Jackson for being the go to guy when you need a change, or to set you on the right track to just take your game to the next level. Wittman and Eugene Bareman seem to be the top of the food chain at the moment, as coaches go. If you're a fighter with eyes on winning a world title, you're finding them in the yellow pages asap. That is, if Volkanovski isn't still standing on them. 

• Paid Members

The UFC has to he interested in getting Masvidal in to coach TUF (Dana confirmed they were looking at Welterweight coaches). The obvious two you'd think would be Masvidal and Colby, but going Masvidal/Usman mighg be a better shout. Could be what Usman needs to endear him to the public, and it'll set up a big PPV fight at the end of it.

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Given he won pretty recently, and is on a four-fight run, surely Michael Chiesa would be a good potential contender if he can get one more win? Obviously, this wouldn't be for some time.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

Given he won pretty recently, and is on a four-fight run, surely Michael Chiesa would be a good potential contender if he can get one more win? Obviously, this wouldn't be for some time.

I think with no disrespect intended towards Chiesa he hasn't got a chance in hell of beating Usman. I think he will need alot more work than just 1 more win to be a credible contender otherwise it's pretty much a case of making a fight just for the sake of it.