Pinned by an elbow drop!

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Wasn't it called a teardrop suplex? Have a recollection of it being referred to as that in one of the old sticker albums.

Was it though, or was that just a video game retcon?

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Was it though, or was that just a video game retcon?

According to this compilation, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was called the Patented Side Suplex.

In this interview, he mentions 'what I later heard was called the teardrop suplex' (https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-shawn-michaels-reveals-whose-idea-the-sweet-chin-music-was-if-he-has-a-deal-with-the-wwe-performance-center), so it looks like it was retconned.

Videogame or something else?

• Paid Members

Even if you ignore the fact Ronda's shoulders were clearly up, the ending of the Wrestlemania 35 main event was dire.  Hardly an emphatic way to start the title reign of head badass Becky Lynch.  And even if WWE thought Ronda was coming back (which I assume they didn't), then she still should have tapped clean to the disarm-her in order to really cement Lynch as the man.

On the subject of flash/counter pins, Bret Hart put on a masterclass at the 1993 King of The Ring. 

Beat Razor by countering a top rope suplex, beat Mr. Perfect by reversing a small package and then beat Bam Bam with a victory roll. 

I bloody love the Bret/Perfect match. 

• Paid Members
On 12/31/2020 at 1:10 AM, Chris B said:

According to this compilation, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was called the Patented Side Suplex.

In this interview, he mentions 'what I later heard was called the teardrop suplex' (https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-shawn-michaels-reveals-whose-idea-the-sweet-chin-music-was-if-he-has-a-deal-with-the-wwe-performance-center), so it looks like it was retconned.

Videogame or something else?

Looking at how he does it, it looks like a shit Angle Slam.

On 12/31/2020 at 8:46 AM, bbabba said:

Even if you ignore the fact Ronda's shoulders were clearly up, the ending of the Wrestlemania 35 main event was dire.  Hardly an emphatic way to start the title reign of head badass Becky Lynch.  And even if WWE thought Ronda was coming back (which I assume they didn't), then she still should have tapped clean to the disarm-her in order to really cement Lynch as the man.

Imagine if a similar finish had been done in the Austin/Michaels Wrestlemania 14 match. The ending to that match (alongside the fact it HAD to be a 3 way) is as bad as they ending of Starrcade 97 in my books.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, simonworden said:

Imagine if a similar finish had been done in the Austin/Michaels Wrestlemania 14 match. The ending to that match (alongside the fact it HAD to be a 3 way) is as bad as they ending of Starrcade 97 in my books.

Graves highlighting the botch is the worst bit.

• Paid Members

@air_raidRemember  all those surfer Sting matches we watched on the network where we became convinced that his finisher was actually a schoolboy rollup rather than the Stinger Splash or Scorpion Deathlock?

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

As @Mr.Showtime pointed out earlier, the ending to Bret/Yoko at WMX was very weak wasn't it? Not sure that falling from the second rope should ever have that much of an effect.

They should have had Bret make Yoko submit cleanly in the middle of the ring, which would have been poetic justice for Fuji's interference at WM9 and made sense as they clearly had no plans for Yokozuna in the main event scene after mid-94 anyway. I think he was only ever involved in the tag team scene and jobbing to Vader after that, there was no reason to try and protect him.

Kudos also to Scott Steiner for hitting the world's worst frankensteiner at Wrestlemania 9.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
22 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

They should have had Bret make Yoko submit cleanly in the middle of the ring, which would have been poetic justice for Fuji's interference at WM9 and made sense as they clearly had no plans for Yokozuna in the main event scene after mid-94 anyway. I think he was only ever involved in the tag team scene and jobbing to Vader after that, there was no reason to try and protect him.

He was pretty much the main event of Survivor Series with The Undertaker so it made sense to keep him as strong as possible. It never hurt Bret at all, the focus immediately shifted to him and Owen.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

He was pretty much the main event of Survivor Series with The Undertaker so it made sense to keep him as strong as possible. It never hurt Bret at all, the focus immediately shifted to him and Owen.

Nah, Yoko was well and truly on the way down even before the Survivor Series. He lost to Earthquake in a sumo match, his own fucking gimmick! He arsed about with Crush on tags but his star was clearly on the wane. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@air_raidRemember  all those surfer Sting matches we watched on the network where we became convinced that his finisher was actually a schoolboy rollup rather than the Stinger Splash or Scorpion Deathlock?

Yes, although rather overlooked as bloody lazy booking is that the ending to the excellent Flair/Sting title switch is recycled 100% from their finish at Starrcade 89 not even a year earlier.

2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

They should have had Bret make Yoko submit cleanly in the middle of the ring, which would have been poetic justice for Fuji's interference at WM9 and made sense as they clearly had no plans for Yokozuna in the main event scene after mid-94 anyway. 

1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

47 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Nah, Yoko was well and truly on the way down even before the Survivor Series. He lost to Earthquake in a sumo match, his own fucking gimmick! He arsed about with Crush on tags but his star was clearly on the wane. 

Sorry, I’m with Rick. They definitely had plans for Yoko which were to sell a bunch of house shows with him vs The Undertaker revenge matches in towns that weren’t getting Bret/Smithers vs Owen/Anvil between Taker coming back and the blow off at Survivors. Sure, he lost a sumo exhibition to Earthquake on TV but the idea was to make us ask “but could he actually BEAT Yoko” which you’d have to buy a ticket to a house show to find out. They had two programs lined up for the big lad asking if a big babyface could actually put him down, he loses a lot if he does a nice clean job to Bret’s finish on a PPV.

Hitman loses nothing by getting the title back in the manner he did, winning and being champion alone was enough to make his fans happy - speaking as a massive Hitman fan who got to go to my first live event five days after Mania X and got to see my hero walk out with the belt. “Well, he found a way to beat the beast.” Yeah, but are subsequent opponents going to be as lucky? Buy a ticket and find out.

Edited by air_raid