Jump to content

Pinned by an elbow drop!


Recommended Posts

  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

A great moment of nostalgia but pinned by an elbow drop!  What other "weak" finishes would have us all crying today? As an aside, I love that Ax is actively trying to pull Andre off (oh

I don’t think that is a weak finish. Andre headbutted him in the back of the head, choked him and Haku kicked him in the face, then a 500lb man dropped his elbow in his face. 

Posted Images

  • Paid Members
8 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

Wasn't it called a teardrop suplex? Have a recollection of it being referred to as that in one of the old sticker albums.

Was it though, or was that just a video game retcon?

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
19 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Was it though, or was that just a video game retcon?

According to this compilation, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was called the Patented Side Suplex.

In this interview, he mentions 'what I later heard was called the teardrop suplex' (https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-shawn-michaels-reveals-whose-idea-the-sweet-chin-music-was-if-he-has-a-deal-with-the-wwe-performance-center), so it looks like it was retconned.

Videogame or something else?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Even if you ignore the fact Ronda's shoulders were clearly up, the ending of the Wrestlemania 35 main event was dire.  Hardly an emphatic way to start the title reign of head badass Becky Lynch.  And even if WWE thought Ronda was coming back (which I assume they didn't), then she still should have tapped clean to the disarm-her in order to really cement Lynch as the man.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

On the subject of flash/counter pins, Bret Hart put on a masterclass at the 1993 King of The Ring. 

Beat Razor by countering a top rope suplex, beat Mr. Perfect by reversing a small package and then beat Bam Bam with a victory roll. 

I bloody love the Bret/Perfect match. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
On 12/31/2020 at 1:10 AM, Chris B said:

According to this compilation, you'd be forgiven for thinking it was called the Patented Side Suplex.

In this interview, he mentions 'what I later heard was called the teardrop suplex' (https://www.sportskeeda.com/wwe/wwe-news-shawn-michaels-reveals-whose-idea-the-sweet-chin-music-was-if-he-has-a-deal-with-the-wwe-performance-center), so it looks like it was retconned.

Videogame or something else?

Looking at how he does it, it looks like a shit Angle Slam.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2020 at 8:46 AM, bbabba said:

Even if you ignore the fact Ronda's shoulders were clearly up, the ending of the Wrestlemania 35 main event was dire.  Hardly an emphatic way to start the title reign of head badass Becky Lynch.  And even if WWE thought Ronda was coming back (which I assume they didn't), then she still should have tapped clean to the disarm-her in order to really cement Lynch as the man.

 

Imagine if a similar finish had been done in the Austin/Michaels Wrestlemania 14 match. The ending to that match (alongside the fact it HAD to be a 3 way) is as bad as they ending of Starrcade 97 in my books.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
3 hours ago, simonworden said:

Imagine if a similar finish had been done in the Austin/Michaels Wrestlemania 14 match. The ending to that match (alongside the fact it HAD to be a 3 way) is as bad as they ending of Starrcade 97 in my books.

Graves highlighting the botch is the worst bit.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

@air_raidRemember  all those surfer Sting matches we watched on the network where we became convinced that his finisher was actually a schoolboy rollup rather than the Stinger Splash or Scorpion Deathlock?

Edited by jazzygeofferz
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

As @Mr.Showtime pointed out earlier, the ending to Bret/Yoko at WMX was very weak wasn't it? Not sure that falling from the second rope should ever have that much of an effect.

They should have had Bret make Yoko submit cleanly in the middle of the ring, which would have been poetic justice for Fuji's interference at WM9 and made sense as they clearly had no plans for Yokozuna in the main event scene after mid-94 anyway. I think he was only ever involved in the tag team scene and jobbing to Vader after that, there was no reason to try and protect him.

Kudos also to Scott Steiner for hitting the world's worst frankensteiner at Wrestlemania 9.

 

Edited by garynysmon
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
22 minutes ago, garynysmon said:

They should have had Bret make Yoko submit cleanly in the middle of the ring, which would have been poetic justice for Fuji's interference at WM9 and made sense as they clearly had no plans for Yokozuna in the main event scene after mid-94 anyway. I think he was only ever involved in the tag team scene and jobbing to Vader after that, there was no reason to try and protect him.

He was pretty much the main event of Survivor Series with The Undertaker so it made sense to keep him as strong as possible. It never hurt Bret at all, the focus immediately shifted to him and Owen.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
58 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

He was pretty much the main event of Survivor Series with The Undertaker so it made sense to keep him as strong as possible. It never hurt Bret at all, the focus immediately shifted to him and Owen.

Nah, Yoko was well and truly on the way down even before the Survivor Series. He lost to Earthquake in a sumo match, his own fucking gimmick! He arsed about with Crush on tags but his star was clearly on the wane. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...