UFC Vegas: Overeem vs Volkov - Feb 6 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

@WeeAl Makhachev is fighting Drew Dober at 259 in a few weeks. Don’t know what’s going on with the other names you mentioned though. They might still be searching for Gregor Gillespie’s head in the rafters at MSG after Kevin Lee volleyed it off.

I like your idea for Dariush vs RDA. That’s a belter and I think RDA is the type who will actually take the fight. 

• Paid Members

It wouldn't surprise me if Gillespie has quietly walked away and just Gon' Fishin'. Fighting is clearly not his first priority no matter how good he is at it. After losing his head like you say @wandshogun09, maybe he's just said sod it. 

Makhachev Vs Dober is another solid fight. Can't really go wrong with this division, though like Dariush was talking about post fight, Islam Vs Dober sounds like a fight made after neither guy could get a fight with a more prominent name, following RDA Vs Makhachev falling through. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, Makhachev is another one of those 155ers who falls into that ‘high risk, low reward’ category that Dariush was on about.

The only way guys like that seem to get a big fight is when a name is either coming off a loss and willing to take on anyone to get a win, like Ferguson taking the Oliveira fight. Or you just keep stacking up wins until you’re ranked so high that it becomes beneficial to fight you because of the number next to your name. But even then, most fighters will still rather call out a ‘name’ who’s ranked #11 than a ‘high risk, low reward’ type who’s ranked #8. It’s why you still see guys calling out Nate Diaz despite him rarely ever fighting, and winning even less.

Dariush, Ferreira, Makhachev etc climbing the Lightweight ladder...

2D128053-7F19-47A3-A4DE-2F07F82C2571.gif

49 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Molly McCann leaving her gloves on the mat after her loss lead to speculation that she was retiring but she’s shot that down on Twitter since.

Actually she left them positioned in such a way that in semaphore, it read “I’m a scouser, I haven’t mentioned it for half an hour”

• Paid Members

anyone fancy Volkov to potentially become Champion? outside of Curtis Blaydes who's a nightmare matchup for him i quite fancy him to beat the majority of top heavyweights, and like Cruz alluded too, seems like he's improving.

Overeem was flat, a newcomer watching that would never guess Overeem is a former K-1 Champion, seems to have confidence in his standup, he looked timid and pot shotted from the outside. Volkov just walked him down.

Id like to see Frankie walk away after that too. So sad to see that, especially in the silence of the Apex

I've got to say that I don't buy Volkov as a top contender at all. As I mentioned earlier in the thread I thought Reem being the bookies underdog was easy money and I genuinely thought it was easy money in betting on Overeem. Clearly I was wrong.

However the stink fest Volkov had with Blaydes and his poor performance against a bag of rubbish in Greg Hardy has made me think he is nothing more than top 5 at best. I would be very surprised if he gets a title shot in a division where the belt is defended once a year. 

I'm happy to be proved wrong (like I was this Saturday) but I don't see him climbing the upper echelons. 

• Paid Members

A contender is about the best I can see him being. He had nothing for Blaydes so I don’t see him ever beating him. Stipe wrecks him. Ngannou most likely wrecks him. Guys like Gane and Rozenstruik might beat him. I’d pick him to beat today’s versions of JDS and Arlovski but I’m not sure how much of Saturday night was him being improved or Overeem being off. As shallow as Heavyweight is at the top, I think there’ll always be at least 2 or 3 guys he can’t beat. 

Most of these heavyweights are able to look good until they reach the very top of the division, at which point Stipe crushes them probably. He's so far ahead of anyone else on the active roster with the exception of maybe Jones. 

Remember when everyone thought Francis would kill him because he'd looked awesome in hammering Arlovski and Overeem? Yeah, that didn't quite work out. The same way as it probably won't work out this time around either. 

(Joey) Styles make fights, and I actually think the length and ability to box on the outside would maybe make Volkov a more interesting opponent for Stipe than most, but I don't think he'd beat him.

• Paid Members

To say Stipe is so far ahead of everyone else is inaccurate for me. Stipe is the best for sure but isnt like he's schooling everyone, in his last 6 fights he was hurt badly or losing 4 of them before turning things around (and ended up losing 1). Stipe's toughess and ability to work through bad situations are whats seperating him from the pack. 

Volkov is a challenge for anyone. Hes one of the more technical fighters at the weight, hes experienced and hes massive. He should be 8-1 in the UFC too which is close to unheard of as a heavyweight (i say should referring to the Derrick Lewis fight). I think the Greg Hardy stink has rubbed off on Volkov and hes finding it hard to scrub the fucker off.

Id argue Volkov should be next for the title, but again there's a Curtis Blaydes shaped road block in the way.

Edited by Egg Shen

3 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

To say Stipe is so far ahead of everyone else is inaccurate for me. Stipe is the best for sure but isnt like he's schooling everyone, in his last 6 fights he was hurt badly or losing 4 of them before turning things around (and ended up losing 1). Stipe's toughess and ability to work through bad situations are whats seperating him from the pack.

This is heavyweight we're talking about. You're going to get rocked, that's part of the appeal of the weight division. But Stipe is absolutely so far ahead of everyone else. There's no one else in the division who is as well rounded and skilled as he is. Not to mention that he's athletic and can move. The dude has it all, and short of him being caught by a big shot (after an eye poke) there's very little to suggest anyone else has the answer to the problem he poses.

Stipe's toughness and ability to work through situations is what's separating him from the pack! Have a word with yourself, man.

• Paid Members

Well it is, im not denying Stipe's skillset, its up there. But you rarely see fighters at heavyweight work through bad situations and come back to win. If any other fighter in the division found themselves in the positions Stipe has they probably would have lost, Stipe gutted it out and came back. That is what seperates him.