UFC Fight Island: Chiesa vs Magny - Jan 20 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Is there a reason for the 5pm U.K. start for the main card tomorrow? It doesn’t make any sense at all from a US viewing perspective as Biden’s inauguration starts at exactly the same time. 

Unless Dana is trying to do his pal Don a favour by trying to dilute viewing figures. 

11 hours ago, MrK said:

Is there a reason for the 5pm U.K. start for the main card tomorrow? It doesn’t make any sense at all from a US viewing perspective as Biden’s inauguration starts at exactly the same time. 

Unless Dana is trying to do his pal Don a favour by trying to dilute viewing figures. 

Will UFC fans even be interested in Harri...I mean Biden's inauguration? Unless they're there throwing haymakers and fighting the good fight, of course. 

Nah, UFC fans aren't going to be interested in sleepy Joe's moving-in date.

17 minutes ago, David said:

Will UFC fans even be interested in Harri...I mean Biden's inauguration? Unless they're there throwing haymakers and fighting the good fight, of course. 

Nah, UFC fans aren't going to be interested in sleepy Joe's moving-in date.

You don’t think it’s a strange coincidence? A 12pm ET start on a Wednesday is strange at the best of times. Let alone coinciding with one of the most watched events on US television this year. 

• Paid Members

I think White's banking on the very strong likelihood that a large percentage of UFC/MMA fans are Trumpcunts. They won't be tuning in no matter what, so it'll probably be a market worth tapping on the day.

1 hour ago, MrK said:

You don’t think it’s a strange coincidence? A 12pm ET start on a Wednesday is strange at the best of times. Let alone coinciding with one of the most watched events on US television this year. 

I don't think it's a coincidence at all. White is a huge Trump supporter, and it wouldn't surprise me if he has scheduled this event to clash with the inauguration. As I said though, I doubt many MMA fans will have a hard time deciding what to watch. And I include myself in that group, even if it's not for political reasons. 

It was very much a ground battle for the most part, with Chiesa dominating for the most part but Magny hanging in there and defending well. Some mad crazy scrambles. The sort of fight I would have shat on 5 years ago but I guess I have a new found appreciation of the grappling aspect of MMA, and if that is your bag you should enjoy. 

That was a dominating display by Chiesa who has now solidified himself as a top contender now. I think he might be shooting high with the Colby call out as surely a fight with Masvidal or Usman is next for him, but neither of those fighters actually want to fight him so on second thoughts maybe Chiesa will be left as Colby's next opponent.

If Edwards beats Khamzat then surely Edwards is next in line to face Usman.

If Khamzat beats Edwards then I think a fight with Usman is too soon for Khamzat so that would leave Colby as number 1 contender.

Colby vs Masvidal is the obvious fight regardless of the scenario above but I am not sure Masvidal will want that fight, it's not very winnable for him and if he does lose then all his aura has gone. Masvidal is better off either fighting for the title or fighting the Diaz's of the worlds.

I don't know about anyone else but even with this being a nice early start for us, This show ended up being incredibly hard to get through and really fell way under the expectations going into it. Pretty much the only guys in that arena last night being put to work and really earning there pay check was the judges. 8 of 14 fights went to the judges yesterday and unfortunately 2 of those fights that didn't go to the judges were on the fight pass prelims. 

With the majority of the show going that way I think the main event panning out the way it did and being pretty much 25 minutes of a grappling/ground fight with very little exciting stand up happening really did end the show on abit of a Low mood setting walking away from it. While I do think Chiesa looked really good with his ground game and being able to control the majority of the fight from the ground I think him calling out Colby will end up falling of deaf ears and as it's been mentioned above and on twitter he has very little chance of getting that fight at all anytime soon. 

All in all this was a really dissapointing show for the most part and not done much in regards of getting everyone super excited for Saturday.