UFC Fight Island: Chiesa vs Magny - Jan 20 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Brett Okamotto tweeted about Holland vs Brunson and Kevin Holland tweeted "Lets not get ahead of ourselves, Leon needs an opponent....big mouth is calling."

What weight would they even fight at? Holland is a middleweight and Edwards is a welterweight, Leon has no reason to accept that fight if it's not even in his weight class.

• Paid Members

Fuck, I forgot Holland was even in a different weight class. Shit’s exhausting. I think him angling for a fight with Chimaev recently made me lump him in with the Welters but Chimaev fights at 170 and 185 anyway. Holland has fought at 170 in the past but it’s going back a bit. 

But yeah, I’m all for Edwards staying on this card if that’s what he wants but it should be someone in his actual weight class. 

Wonderboy hurt his leg in his last fight so I can't see it being him, I've not checked to see if it was a bad injury but he was limping in the 3rd round.

Bumping either Chiesa or Magny to the main event to face Edwards would be unfair on the guy who is left out. The UFC don't tend to mess around fighters like that this close to a fight.

Looking at the top 10 I think Luque is the only one who would realistically want the fight on short notice and seeing as he is coming off a loss and Edwards has already beaten him I don't see why Edwards would accept.

It all depends if Leon is happy to fight a guy who will do nothing for his title chances. It depends how much Leon wants to fight, is he desperate to fight? Nothing he has done over the last 18 months makes me think he is the kind of guy to fight anybody just to get on the card. 

Damian Maia would be good but he's not the type of fighter to step in on short notice, especially at his age where every fight could be his last fight.

I think the most likely scenario is Chiesa vs Magny will be the main event.

It's been reported on twitter by MMA junkie that Neil Magny VS Michael Chiesa will now be the main event for this card and the Khamzat vs Edwards fight will once again be pushed back.

https://mmajunkie.usatoday.com/2020/12/leon-edwards-khamzat-chimaev-neil-mangy-michael-chiesa-ufc-fight-night-january-20

https://twitter.com/MMAjunkie/status/1344495742447185920?s=20

• Paid Members

Yeah, it was always the most likely outcome to be honest. It was my initial thought until Leon said he wanted to stay in the card. But our discussion the other day highlighted why that was probably unlikely. As Zebra said above, Wonderboy is hurt, Luque is coming off a loss and Edwards already beat him and Holland is a 185er and now booked against Brunson anyway. There really aren’t any obvious options that make sense. Plus, I still want to see Edwards vs Chimaev so I’m happy to see them give it another bash. If it falls apart again though, it’s probably best to move on and maybe revisit it somewhere down the line. 

I think they will probably look to rebook the Khamzat vs Edwards fight for mid/late February or early March.
To be honest with this fight it was already a big fight and had a lot of eyes on it but with it having to be rescheduled and pushed back twice now it's only played into there hands more as they have both done bits of press and hype for it already so it just adds to it doesn't it 

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Fight Island: Chiesa vs Magny - Jan 20 🇦🇪 🏝
  • Paid Members

For fuck’s sake.

That was the best fight on the card for me. This show’s taken a bit of a beating. To think at one point this card had an Edwards vs Chimaev headliner with Chiesa vs Magny, Munhoz vs Rivera 2 and Condit vs Brown as support. Now 3 out of those 4 fights have either been cancelled or moved to another card and this one’s looking a bit bare bones now.

The bout order in the opening post will probably change. Modafferi vs Araujo doesn’t scream co-main event, even on a midweek Fight Night in the COVID era. But there isn’t much else that would be obvious to fill that spot either. Maybe Mason Jones debut? It’s slim pickings. And I can’t see much of anything being added now with less than 2 weeks to go. 

Edited by wandshogun09

I'm sure it's been mentioned in another thread as I remember seeing the banner with all the timings on, but when is this on in the UK?

I've checked the TV guide and the first showing I found of it was around 9pm on Thursday night and it wasn't called "UFC Live Chiesa vs Magny." It was called "UFC Chiesa vs Magny."

Even though this card was meant to be the fight I've been desperate too see for months now, I just took a look at the full card and this is a fucking tasty set of fights for a midweek early show. While the main event might not exactly win any awards for biggest/best/most exciting of the decade I think these first 2 shows have been more built around showcasing the up and coming talent and If your a true MMA fan that is something that does excite you because 9 times out of 10 those lesser known fighters go out there and try to make a name for themselves.

This show has it's exciting elements. Figgy's brother coming in and fighting in a UFC cage for the first time. Khabib is there to be in the corner of one of his guys. I also just read on twitter (I don't know if this is true) But apparently Khamzat is there on fight island too? Which if that's real begs the question why wasn't he given the all clear to fight but was all good to travel over to watch the show he was supposed to be headlining?

• Paid Members

this is the fight im looking forward to the most:

Its a shame it didnt get a main card slot because Jones' signing generated a fair bit of buzz. 

Not sure what being a double Champ in Cage Warriors is worth these days in terms of genuine contender talent but it will lump some hype on your shoulders. It doesnt hurt that Mason has a bit of a mouth on him and is declaring himself ready for the top of the division. Im starting to think the path to the CW titles are abit too easy and politic'd, the Champs coming in never seem to do too well with the odd exception.

I cant wait to see it though. The bookies have Mason installed as a fairly big underdog so they aint feeling the the buzz is warranted. He's got a tough test here, one thing is for sure, he should be good value cause hes an exciting action fighter. 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Yeah, I’m a tad surprised Jones vs Davis isn’t on the main card. It’s not like this is a particularly deep card on paper where you can understand certain names getting higher billing. I’d have had it third from top in place of either of the nothing happening Villanueva vs Moreira or Modafferi vs Araujo fights myself. Maybe even co-main. I like that they’re throwing him straight in with a real test. Davis isn’t an easy debut but it’s not a ridiculous first fight in either. It’s just about right as far as the matchmaking goes. He sounds well up for it...

Confident but doesn’t seem to be taking Davis lightly either.