UFC Fight Island: Chiesa vs Magny - Jan 20 šŸ‡¦šŸ‡Ŗ šŸ

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Pretty much the only guys in that arena last night being put to work and really earning there pay check was the judges. 8 of 14 fights went to the judges yesterday and unfortunately 2 of those fights that didn't go to the judges were on the fight pass prelims.Ā 

Nah, Iā€™m the opposite on this. I thought it was a good card myself. Fights going the distance doesnā€™t necessarily mean bad fights. If they were all snoozers Iā€™d agree but there were some really good fights and some excellent individual performances last night. It wasnā€™t on the level of the Holloway vs Kattar cardĀ on Saturday but it was far from a dull show.

As said, Michael Chiesa put on a bit of a masterclass. Really impressed by him. Magny isnā€™t a guy many look good against and I donā€™t recall anyone ever taking it to him in the grappling like Chiesa did and pretty muchĀ dominating. Heā€™s looked good ever since he moved up to 170 but his first couple of wins wereĀ Carlos Condit in a slumpĀ and modern day Diego Sanchez. I wasnā€™t sure if it was more a case of out of form opposition flattering his performances. But since then heā€™s beat RDAĀ and now Magny clearly. Heā€™s looked better with each fight at Welterweight.Ā Makes you wonder where heā€™d be now if heā€™d made the jump sooner. Not sure how much furtherĀ he can go. IfĀ you beat Magny youā€™reĀ going to be mixing with the very top boys next. Thereā€™s some really tough matchups aheadĀ but Iā€™d be very interested to see ChiesaĀ in there with the Covingtons, Masvidals, Wonderboys etc. And I never thought Iā€™d be saying that when he first moved up to 170.

Warlley Alves had a great night. Lazzez was being hyped up as well and was a bit of a home favourite but Alves wasnā€™t having it.

DEAF208C-7AA6-49EF-A05D-98BD916350F4.gif

That canā€™t have been fun. Alves has shown flashes of serious potential a few times but he seems to not always show up on his game. Other nights he looks like a real player and this was one of them. Completely crushed a guy who was being talked up in some circles as the next big thing at 170. Alves calling out Nate Diaz was utterly pointless though because itā€™s never going to happen. Why even bother?Ā 

Villanueva vs Moreira...

3B4CF0CD-3F4C-40A7-9659-C5AAD7F49877.gif

Yeah.Ā 

Araujo vs Modafferi was about the only fight on the card I couldnā€™t get into. Just donā€™t find Modafferi enjoyable to watch. Sheā€™s got that nerdy likability but Iā€™ve never been able to get into her fights. I quite like Araujo and I expected her to win comfortably but itā€™s no fun watching Modafferi get beat up and flailing about with her awkward crappy strikes. I feel like Iā€™ve seen it 50 times now.

Matt Schnell looked good,Ā as Panhead said. Iā€™ve enjoyedĀ every fight of his that Iā€™veĀ seen so far. Sharp in theĀ striking and heā€™s pretty slick on the ground from what I remember.Ā Liked his post-fight interview as well. Flyweight again. Seems like 125 got really good really suddenly over the last year, doesnā€™t it?Ā 

Gutted with how Akhmedov vs Breese went but it was a fun fight all the same. The result wasnā€™t what I wanted but it was an exciting ground battle andĀ that whole finishing sequence was pretty sweet with Breese committing toĀ the calf slicer and Akhmedov escaping and coming through with the arm triangle for the sub.Ā 

The prelims were good too. There was nothing especially bad there. Nice wins and strong performances from Ricky Simon and Dalcha Lungiambula in their fights.Ā Su Mudaerji continues to impress.Ā 

The first four prelims were the standouts for meĀ though.Ā 

FranciscoĀ Figueiredo had a successful UFC debut and looked good. Wasnā€™t the kind of showing thatā€™ll blow anyone away and at first glance he doesnā€™t quite have the venom and swagger of his more well knownĀ brother. But there were some similarities there as well and I can see there being better to come once he starts to feel at home in there.

Mike Davis vs Mason Jones rightly got FOTN. If you didnā€™t see it Iā€™d recommend it. Tremendous fight. Was disappointed Jones lost but I did have Davis edging it. Jones will comeĀ again though and heā€™ll be popular because he goes for it. He showed no ā€˜Octagon jittersā€™ here. He came out guns blazing. Heā€™s taken the loss well too.

B7373-F67-FDA0-49-F6-B636-2-E9896-B1-CC0

I guess the $50K bonus will sweeten the pill.Ā We say it all the time butĀ it really is crazyĀ how stacked Lightweight is. You look at a fight like this and these guys are way off being talked about in the title picture. Thereā€™s so much quality throughout the division itā€™s insane. Really looking forward to seeing both these two again.

Umar Nurmagomedov looked the dogs bollocks in his UFC debut. Morozov was tough and I think thereā€™ll be better to come from him but he just came up against an animal here. Perfect debut really. He showed a bit of everything. He seems more of a striker than most of the DagestanĀ crew but he looked good everywhere here. Strong kicking game, power in his hands, good wrestling and he finished it with a choke.

D7180-C21-9-CB0-4-D3-E-B420-D857104-CC3-

Iā€™m excited to see where he can go. Heā€™s got big shoes to fill with the legacyĀ his cousin Khabib left but heā€™s already 13-0 and heā€™s still 24/25. SoĀ far, so good.Ā Yet another great addition to the Bantamweight division.

Manon Fiorot looked like she might be a bit of a problem as well. Had zero expectations going into this one as Iā€™d never seen her or Victoria Leonardo before, or even heard of them before this fight was announced. But I loved Fiorotā€™s aggression here. She put a right beating on Leonardo.Ā 

Proper set about her. Juryā€™s obviously out until we see her against someone we know and we can properlyĀ gauge what sheā€™s got. But this was a good first impression. Sheā€™s in Valentina Shevchenkoā€™s division so it probably wonā€™t end well anyway. But at the very least itā€™s new blood for Val to potentially face downĀ the line.

So yeah, not a bad show at all. There was plenty to like and feel positive about. Some fun fights, big finishesĀ and a few exciting debuts. Iā€™ve certainly had duller Wednesday evenings.Ā 

56 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

He seems more of a striker than most of the DagestanĀ crew but he looked good everywhere here. Strong kicking game, power in his hands, good wrestling and he finished it with a choke.

Aye, apparently bothĀ cousins' (Umar and Usman)Ā gameĀ is more striking based than Khabib's is.

I'll be keeping an eye on both.Ā 

Edited by jimufctna24