UFC Fight Island: Chiesa vs Magny - Jan 20 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

11 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Plus the time difference probably plays a part here. All those big sites are US based and still asleep at the time that this Swedish site was starting their work day. A kick in the teeth that this one looks set to be postponed again. 

Yeah it's just been posted by Bloody elbow on twitter. I can't begin to express the level of dissapointment on this one and you have to hope the undisclosed reason for him pulling out is fucking good because this was the biggest fight of his career, If he got the win he could have been a title contender by the summer. GUTTED

• Paid Members

It’s shit that it’s off but this is hardly a disaster for Chimaev. He’s got plenty of time and he was probably being fast tracked a bit too quickly anyway. If he’s not going to be out long and they can reschedule this Edwards fight then I’m all for it. If not, no big deal really. It’s not great for this card but at the end of the day it’s a Wednesday Fight Night sandwiched between 2 other cards, one being a McGregor fight. As disappointing as it is, it’s not the end of the world.

Chimaev will get a big fight next regardless because Dana’s clearly got the horn for him. I don’t think I’ve seen Dana fall in love with a fighter so quickly since Ronda Rousey. He’ll be wearing a t-shirt with a naked Chimaev on it next. 

0FFBEC63-57E6-40CD-919B-BC384CAD0737.jpeg

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Fight Fan Base said:

Wonder how long he will be out for if its going to be months, i wonder if Leon stays on the card and maybe bring Jorge in with the bad blood. they seem to be struggling to get Jorge vs Colby 

I can’t see it myself. From bits I’m reading, Jorge vs Colby seems to be getting delayed on Jorge’s end. Colby’s come out and said he’s ‘hiding’. While that’s clearly silly talk he has gone quiet. I can’t see him suddenly jumping in here on a few weeks notice. It’s not like the Usman situation where the title was on the line and it was a big PPV. This is a midweek Fight Night against a tough opponent who it’s hard to look good against. I’m not sure what they’ll do but Covington has just said Jorge is ducking him so if he did step in against Edwards here, it’d make it look like Colby’s right. It’d be shite of course but it’d just give Colby more ammo and I can’t see Masvidal going for that. 

In more positive news, Mason Jones has got himself a debut fight booked.

I’ve added a bit on it in the opening post. 

Apparently the reason behind Khamzat pulling out of the fight is due to him testing positive for COVID 19. 

Fuck this virus twice it's impacted on this fight happening. I wonder what the main event will be now?

https://www.bloodyelbow.com/2020/12/29/22204391/ufc-report-khamzat-chimaev-out-of-leon-edwards-fight-due-to-covid-19-infection-fight-island-mma-news

• Paid Members

Don’t be surprised if they just bump Chiesa vs Magny up to 5 rounds. Wouldn’t be ideal but we’ve had much worse than that as main events this year. I’m looking at you Jessica Eye vs Cynthia Calvillo and Holly Holm vs Irene Aldana 🤮

I mean, I suppose they might be able to get Edwards another fight but he’ll probably only be interested in names like Masvidal and Covington at this stage and why would they jump in on short notice just to save a Fight Night? These cards to the UFC aren’t worth ‘saving’. They’re just there to fulfil their obligation to provide however many hours content as part of the ESPN deal. If it was a PPV they’d be making the effort but I wouldn’t expect much here. If they can’t find a replacement that Edwards is happy with then they’ll probably just try to rebook this fight again for a later date. And if that happens, I doubt they book a completely new main event for this card now.

Only other thing I can think of would be if they can move a fight from another card. Like maybe bringing Cory Sandhagen vs Frankie Edgar forward from the Feb 6th card or something. But even then, it’s not as simple as that. Those guys might not be able to just fight 2 weeks earlier than planned on a whim. Especially when there’s weight cutting involved. It’s messy and in that scenario you’re making the Feb 6th card weaker just to strengthen this one AKA robbing Peter to pay Paul as the old saying goes. It’s just not worth all the hassle for a midweek Fight Night that only nobs like us will bother with anyway. 

Edited by wandshogun09

On 12/25/2020 at 2:23 PM, Kfogg1991 said:

Dana has put Mike Jackson on this show after he went in there against CM punk and embarrassed himself and the sport

I’d say giving CM Punk a contract in the first place embarrassed the sport even more, but hey ho. 

• Paid Members

OK, don’t listen to me. Looks like Leon Edwards is still planning to fight on this card after all.

Guess he’s just sick of sitting on the sidelines at this point. I guess Chiesa or Magny would make sense seeing as they’re both on the card anyway. Vicente Luque has also thrown his name in the mix. Edwards already beat him in 2017 so a rematch might not be that appealing to him but I think I’d prefer that plus that way they can leave the Chiesa vs Magny fight as it is.

If I could choose anyone to step in it’d be Wonderboy. I think him and Edwards would be an interesting matchup and that’s one you could easily have as a #1 contender fight. But I’m not sure Wonderboy will be good to go so soon after going 5 rounds with Geoff Neal the other week. 

• wandshogun09 changed the title to UFC Fight Island: Edwards vs TBA - Jan 20 🇦🇪 🏝
  • Paid Members

I literally just thought of Kevin Holland then read your post. I’d love to see him get this shot. He should be getting as much hype as Chimaev anyway at this point, if not more. He’s earned an opportunity like this and he’s beat better opposition than Chimaev has anyway.

Not sure Edwards goes for it though, weighing up the risk vs reward thing. But I don’t know. Maybe he just wants to get back in there now. Derailing the rise of a guy like Holland would still be a strong statement, even if he doesn’t bring the hype (or overhype) element Chimaev did. Like Guy said, you’re not likely to get the very top contenders jumping in so it’s going to be guys like Holland and Luque who are up for it.

EDIT - 

No. Forget it. Holland is fighting Derek Brunson in March now.

Edited by wandshogun09