Cobra Kai - S5 and general discussion (may contain spoilers)

John Matrix

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, neil said:

I haven't watched much of Cobra Kai, I saw the first couple of episodes on youtube and thought it was awful and pandering to people who like "school discos" as adults so gave up.

It definitely started that way. I gave the rest of the series a chance when it was moved to Netflix even if it was just a dose of nostalgia, which the first two episodes were. But it definitely grows into its own. Cracking series.

I also much preferred Karate Kid 3 to 2 at the time, especially with the bad guy taking Daniel under his wing and telling him to ditch 'that shitty crane kick'. I haven't watched it since I was a kid though. 

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, neil said:

I haven't watched much of Cobra Kai, I saw the first couple of episodes on youtube and thought it was awful and pandering to people who like "school discos" as adults so gave up. Maybe I'll have to try it again given the posts about it 

Definitely give it a watch mate, there is the inevitability of the ‘next gen’ like when a film franchise introduces a smart talking child sidekick to try and bring in a new audience, but even though they have their own storylines those are still a vehicle to move forward the story of Daniel and Johnny - and even then, the story of Eli’s transformation and Miguel’s ongoing conflict between him being a lovely guy, and the teachings of Cobra Kai are still very well done.

43 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

It definitely started that way. I gave the rest of the series a chance when it was moved to Netflix even if it was just a dose of nostalgia, which the first two episodes were. But it definitely grows into its own. Cracking series.

I also much preferred Karate Kid 3 to 2 at the time, especially with the bad guy taking Daniel under his wing and telling him to ditch 'that shitty crane kick'. I haven't watched it since I was a kid though. 

I too kinda tolerated KK2 at the time, and was all about KK3 and I still enjoy it much more, it has a tournament aspect to it for a start! But watching back recently as an adult, KK2 is very much Miyagi’s story, not Daniels and I think that’s probably why there’s a slight disconnect.  When I heard about the returning characters in S3, I checked it out again recently and it’s a lot more enjoyable than I’d remembered, just not as ‘fun’.

• Paid Members

I've always found KK2 a bit of a slog but that could be because when it was my brothers turn to pick a rental at the video store it was ALWAYS KK2. I don't dislike it but it's definitely a bit to long. Still some classic moments like the Miyagi/Kreese showdown and ice block chop.

KK3 was my favourite as a dumb kid. It took it back to the tournament style and Terry Silver was a brilliant character. Of course KK1 is far and a way the better film but back then I was a dope.

This is my current phone wallpaper...

500768b_press03.jpg

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Did you see the Cobra Kai series of artwork that @John Matrix did? It's really nice, and I think the style might be right up your street.

Don't think so. Was it posted on here? If anyone can capture the essence of CK I'd bet on Matrix.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, John Matrix said:

Every piece I made so far is here

instagram.com/letsbewater

Dude! Those are stunning. Great work sir.

• Paid Members

Just got done watching the Josh Gad reunion and it was ace. Got me hyped all over again for season 3.

55 minutes ago, DEF said:

Just got done watching the Josh Gad reunion and it was ace. Got me hyped all over again for season 3.

I've not watched all of it yet but have skimmed through.

Spoiler

No Chad McQueen though sadly.  Not having watched it all I don't know if they talk about him, but between him being the glaring omission from the reunion in Season Two and now this, makes me wonder if he just wants nothing to do with the franchise these days. 

• Moderators
On 12/20/2020 at 9:49 AM, PunkStep said:

On 12/20/2020 at 10:34 AM, John Matrix said:

Definitely give it a watch mate, there is the inevitability of the ‘next gen’ like when a film franchise introduces a smart talking child sidekick to try and bring in a new audience, but even though they have their own storylines those are still a vehicle to move forward the story of Daniel and Johnny - and even then, the story of Eli’s transformation and Miguel’s ongoing conflict between him being a lovely guy, and the teachings of Cobra Kai are still very well done.

Started watching this yesterday, definitely growing on me. As is Mrs LaRusso - damn.