UFC 257: Poirier vs McGregor 2 - Jan 23 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

23 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, David said:

Then proceeds to completely smash him up in two minutes before going on to challenge Khabib on the mic, claiming that a bout between the two greatest ever lightweights is the best way to honour Khabib's old man, and pledging some cash to a COVID charity of Khabib's choice if he takes the fight.

That's genuinely what I think - and what I've said aloud - will happen, should he get past Poirier. I feel validated now.

I think he'll make a few throwbackslapping japes about the shape of Poiriers' head, and they'll both give each other "Oh, you..." knowing looks and guffaws.
Also, during the face off at the weigh ins, McGregor will do that pray and bow thing everyone seems to be at now, even when ordering a poxy breakfast roll at a deli counter. 

I just watched a video on Youtube saying that dana said Khabib has indeed vacated the title and this main event will be for the vacant belt but i can't find anything on Twitter or whatever to support that. HOWEVER the meeting with Khabib did take place yesterday so I and I'm sure the rest of the world is extremely egar to hear what has come out of it. 

ALSO I don't know if you guy's have seen on twitter and Instagram but Dana has said the UFC are putting measures in place to make it even harder for those trying to illegally stream the PPV, Which I'm also very interested to see what there planning on doing with that

3 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

I just watched a video on Youtube saying that dana said Khabib has indeed vacated the title and this main event will be for the vacant belt but i can't find anything on Twitter or whatever to support that. HOWEVER the meeting with Khabib did take place yesterday so I and I'm sure the rest of the world is extremely egar to hear what has come out of it. 

Probably has something to do with this - https://goalmirror.com/?p=18835

And it seems as though the UFC are planning on moving on with the division without the Russian superstar, after the UFC’s Twitter direct message chatbot posted: “Don’t miss Poirier take on McGregor for the lightweight title bout. Who do you think will walk out of the Octagon with the W.?”

A replacement message was quickly posted following the apparent error, although plenty of fans noticed the mistake before the word ‘title’ was removed. 

Possibly a brainfart by whoever updates UFC's Twitter page. 

Edited by jimufctna24

I find it somewhat ridiculous that in a division that includes the likes of Michael Chandler, Charles Oliveira, and Justin Gaethje we could potentially see a guy walk away with the lightweight title after fighting at 155lbs only three times in over four years, and who has a record of 2-1 with his last win coming against the 1-4 Cowboy Cerrone.

I know that's how the UFC works and all that shit, but it still amazes me. Even in 2021.

• Paid Members

its a barmy one, but who else do you put it on at this point? unless the UFC did a tournament i guess its the best way to go. The only other real fair fight you could do for a vacant belt would be Poirier/Oliveira with the way things stand, or shoehorn Gaethje back in. The other option of course would be to leave the belt vacant for a while, but they never do that.

Personally, id like to see the tournament but the UFC for whatever reason are reluctant to do that.

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, David said:

Thing is, they don't have to call it a tournament. Just have the fight between Poirier and McG, then after it happens book the winner to face the winner of Hooker vs Chandler. 

Boom. Job done. 

but what about Oliveira? 😄

I do agree though, its just the UFC for whatever reason doesn't like leaving titles vacant. Though i do wonder if it was say, Poirier/Chandler on Jan 23rd would they still put the title on it? or are they simply doing because of McGregor?

• Paid Members

it may very well, perhaps it was part of negotiations when making the fight?

What does it matter anyway? if McGregor wins and gets the belt, he'd potentially fights the winner of Hooker/Chandler and the right man would end up with the belt regardless.

• Paid Members

Between Bellator and the UFC, it seems there's no middle ground with tournaments. UFC don't want to do them at all, and Bellator do them far too often. Vacant belts should be a perfect reason to have them, as they're not a common occurrence, and they have a certain value to the audience that, by the end of it, they know whoever won it has definitely earned it.

I completely agree with the comments above. I have defended and been the biggest Conor McGregor fan for years now he was the reason i fell in love with the sport. However his behaviour and disrespect towards the sport that made him the superstar he is today made me look at him very differently like many of his other long term fans. 

I'm guessing with the meeting Dana had with Khabib and reports coming out the title is indeed vacated, We all know this fight will now be for the title and on some levels it makes sense but like it's been said above Conor has only fought at this weight 3 times in 4 years AND on top of that has only fought in the ufc 2/3 times in over 2 years. The sport in the time Conor has fucked about and tried to play the superstar has evolved and because he has been gone new stars have worked their arse off and should be given this opportunity over the guy who is unpredictable and unreliable for the company and the division. 

My thoughts on how the fight goes doesn't change at all I believe Conor wins it in the first round But with how he has behaved and treated the UFC and his fans in MMA I don't believe for a second he will stick around and fight 2/3 times this year, I think if he does win, The media and praise he will be handed will once again go to his head, He has already said he wants to go fuck about in boxing again so he will leave again, Take a bunch of coke, Get accused of Rape a few more times only to pop back up in the UFC for the first PPV of 2022 and rinse and repeat till he finally pushes Dana and the UFC over the edge and disappears forever. 

• Paid Members

If it lasts longer than three minutes, this version of Conor McGregor won't be able to live with Dustin Poirier. I don't believe he'll have the heart to hang in there when the going gets tough. He's seemed mentally checked out for a long time, something Poirier definitely hasn't. This isn't 2020 Cowboy that McGregor is fighting. It's one of the current best fighters in the sport against one of the best from five years ago. 

I bet theres a part in Dana's mind about making this a fight for the title, that he hopes Khabib cant stand the fact that Conor has the belt and comes back later in the year to take back the 'his' belt, in front of a packed stadium.

Was just browsing through Conor's Wikipedia page and realised something mildly interesting. Including this show, Conor has headlined 8 PPVs, yet despite being the biggest star of this generation, he only has first billing on two of the shows. Some are understandable, but even Chad Mendes for some strange reason gets his name first on that show.

The other thing I just remembered from looking at his Wiki is how abysmal the poster was for the Cerrone PPV

spacer.png