The Ghostbusters were a terrorist organization

IANdrewDiceClay

51 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

I always understood it to be that Sauron was too powerful for them to approach. They could only get there once he was defeated. 

Yeah. The Nazgul were waiting for them but them going through the mines was a distraction and when Gandalf was captured by Saruman, he and Gwahir came up with the plan to pick them up after Moria. Hence “Fly, you fools”

Erm, gotta go as my bacon sarnie is ready and the footie is about to start, right lads?

• Paid Members

I was going to post something about how the Jedi were monsters, but other than all being said before it seems to have become part of the series narrative now. Makes me wonder if the original point might even be made in the new Ghostbusters film since metanalysis and self awareness seem to be ingredients in the 'Hollywood franchise handing algorithm 2020'.

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah. The Nazgul were waiting for them but them going through the mines was a distraction and when Gandalf was captured by Saruman, he and Gwahir came up with the plan to pick them up after Moria. Hence “Fly, you fools”

Erm, gotta go as my bacon sarnie is ready and the footie is about to start, right lads?

Hang on. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Julia Roberts impersonate's Julia Roberts in one of the Oceans film. Bruce Willis recognises her, which would imply they are set in our world but none of the other characters are recognised as their famous counterparts. 

See also Tej in Fast and Furious played by Ludacris, in the first film there is a song by Ludacris playing at a party, so who the hell is Ludacris in their world because actual Ludacris is Tej.   

2 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Also, they watch Die Hard in Friends, then don't freak out when McClane turns up and dates Rachel.

So, who played McClane in the Die Hard they watched?

Also, Ben Affleck plays both himself and Holden in Jay & Silent Bob Strike Back.

I recently found out this is something called the Celebrity Paradox - mentioned in the programme as themselves, but appearing in it as a different character.

EDIT: One that I remember is Romeo Must Die, when Anthony Anderson's character is chasing after the gang boss' daughter, played by Aaliyah - he yells "Hey, get your Aaliyah-lookin' ass back here!"

Edited by Carbomb

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

Julia Roberts impersonate's Julia Roberts in one of the Oceans film.

I fucking love Ocean's Eleven. Funny, slick, cool heist with a dream cast. Just really well done all round and I've probably seen it a dozen times. 

And then this. When this scene happened, I could see it coming in the lead up to it and assumed this couldn't possibly be the dumb-headed wrong-footed willy-waving direction they were going in. And then there it is, Julia Roberts parades out pretending to be famous person Julia Roberts. I actually shouted - shouted, something I hardly ever do - "WHAT THE FUCK."

It made me so angry, I gave it 1/10 on IMDB. That showed them. 

• Paid Members
On 11/30/2020 at 7:37 PM, SuperBacon said:

Also, they watch Die Hard in Friends, then don't freak out when McClane turns up and dates Rachel.

So, who played McClane in the Die Hard they watched?

Also, Sean Penn is mentioned in a conversation between Chandler and Eddie then later plays Ursula’s boyfriend who Phoebe persuades to break up with her twin. And Chandler talks to Ross about fantasising about Elle MacPherson, who later moves in with Joey.

On that note, shows like Days Of Our Lives exist as TV shows in Friends but the characters of Mad About You were shown to be real people in that universe. Not for me.

• Moderators

The Prestige went up on Netflix today. Spoilers etc.

I do really love it, but the entire movie hinges on absolutely nobody saying "mate, your bodyguard looks exactly like you, only in glasses and a false beard!" Not even Michael Caine, who's an expert in magicians using doubles. He even says, over and over again, that Bale's trick can only be achieved with a double, and captures the 'bodyguard', but only uses it as blackmail; "give us your secret or we'll kill your mate." Didn't think to whip off the guy's hat and see if there was a wig attached like those Scottish tam o'shanters with the Russ Abbot hair.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Carbomb said:

EDIT: One that I remember is Romeo Must Die, when Anthony Anderson's character is chasing after the gang boss' daughter, played by Aaliyah - he yells "Hey, get your Aaliyah-lookin' ass back here!"

There's a scene in Stakeout where Richard Dreyfuss and Emilio Estevez are playing a 'guess the movie quote' game and the latter asks what film "This was not a boating accident!" was from. To which Dreyfuss replies, "I don't know".

Stakeout is bloody great.