UFC Vegas: Hermansson vs Vettori - Dec 5th 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah, got to echo that. Was going to leave this today and catch up in the week. But with it being a short show after all the last minute cancellations I stuck it on earlier. It was a really fun short card. Probably partly due to my low expectations going in but it did actually deliver as well.

Vettori vs Hermansson was way better than I expected. I didn’t hate the matchup but I was definitely a little bit down on it after losing the original Till and Holland versions. This was a lot of fun though. What a battle. Although I’m disappointed with the result. I’ve never warmed to Vettori so seeing Hermansson lose to him after being fucked around with opponents being pulled out left and right was crap. I feel sorry for him. He said yes to 3 different opponents who all had different styles, he took the gamble and it didn’t pay off. Vettori stepped up though and he looked better than he ever has previously to me.

Who does Vettori fight next then? Whittaker? Costa? Yoel Rom...oh. I need to rewatch that Adesanya vs Vettori fight at some point. I think I actually had Vettori edging it at the time now I think of it. 

Jamahal Hill kind of put himself on the map last night. Obviously this doesn’t tell us he’s going to be a player in the title mix or anything but to stop a tough, experienced veteran like OSP like that was quite an impressive statement. Wouldn’t mind seeing him against someone like Ryan Spann next now that Cirkunov is out. Although Spann sort of feels like a step down from OSP. 

Benitez vs Jaynes was short and sweet with a nasty finish.

9F41C05B-A309-4848-AED2-D019F4E87D13.gif

Fuck me. He went down like he’d been shot in the gut. Perfect timing on the knee, Jaynes never stood a chance.

That Jordan Leavitt slam was brutal. Looked like a KO off one of the video games; 

B3D68C95-610C-447D-9BE7-3F1FEE60F336.gif

I like Leavitt already. He’s got a whole different swagger to anyone else on the roster but he’s looking like a bit of a killer in there. Of course, it was only Matt Wiman and Wiman has basically been sleepwalking through his last few fights. It remains to be seen how Leavitt does when he’s in with someone who’s actually on form but I like him so far. How can you not when he’s scoring knockouts like that then busting out the splits?

Smolka vs Quinonez was entertaining and fast paced as expected. Always happy to see Smolka get the win. Quinonez isn’t the best but he’s pretty tough and scrappy. Smolka wasn’t playing though and once he got on top in the second the stoppage felt inevitable. 

Ilia Topuria looks like he might be a real issue. I said after his debut that he looked really impressive but it went the distance and not many people were talking about him. Important to remember though, he stepped in on very short notice for that and still looked a right handful, mostly in the grappling. And then here he comes out and just lights Jackson the fuck up on the feet...

5B9FC711-39B3-428E-8360-8EB6DE46C341.gif

Love the way he mixed it up to the body and head as well. He improves to 10-0 with 9 finishes now. Really exciting addition to an already stacked 145 division. I’m getting ahead of myself but, depending on how he does as he moves up in levels, can you imagine the fights he could potentially have with the likes of Kattar, Zombie, Yair etc? 

Collier vs Villante was shite but I expected that going in. Look at this pathetic attempt at spinning shit... 

AFF9B79A-6C5C-4EF5-BE8B-1AFBFF6E1D7C.gif

And that’s the guy who won this mess 30-27 across the board. What does that say about how useless Villante is? Hey, Yoel Romero got sacked but at least we’ve got more of this to look forward to in 2021.

Way better show than it really had any right to be. 

2 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

Collier vs Villante was shite but I expected that going in. Look at this pathetic attempt at spinning shit... 

AFF9B79A-6C5C-4EF5-BE8B-1AFBFF6E1D7C.gif

And that’s the guy who won this mess 30-27 across the board. What does that say about how useless Villante is? Hey, Yoel Romero got sacked but at least we’ve got more of this to look forward to in 2021.

Oh dear 😄

Was it Mauro who used to get a hard-on over Villante?

I was a little bit gutted for Jack in this one. I've never really warmed to Vettori and the Joker always seemed like a pretty stand up guy so it was sad to see him lose Vettori. 

I have to say thought that Vettori kind of won me over in his post fight interview, it was nice seeing him emotional rather than angry all the time. I didn't understand how the Joke was the underdog so I put some money on him to win thinking it was easy pickings, boy was I wrong. I didn't see that performance from Marvin coming at all. It was a great fight.

Jordan Leavitt looked awesome, he was very impressive on DWCS so I expected big things  but I didn't expect him to manhandle a wily veteran so quickly , hopefully he gets another fight booked pretty soon as he took minimal damage.

Beating OSP is no easy feat and Hill made it look easy, I didn't know much bout him coming in but I'm now on board the hype train, It'll be interesting to see if he gets in the rankings now, hopefully his next opponent is a top 10-15 guy and not a top 10 guy. I'd like to see them build him up slowly. As mentioned by Wand earlier, I think Spann would be a good opponent. I just hope it's not Anthony Smith as I don't want Smith losing to another up and comer.

• Paid Members

Smith was on about fighting Paul Craig after he beat Devin Clark. That one kind of makes sense with both coming off a win and fighting within a week of each other so I’m hoping they do that.

I thought Spann was the logical matchup for Hill but this is floating about on Twitter...

C97-A5-FE6-6-CB6-4694-A4-F3-44700691-FF1

Doesn’t sound good. Hopefully he’s alright. Maybe Hill fights Ankalaev or Walker. Although I’d rather them fight each other. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

That main event took me by surprise. Not in a million years did I see them squaring off in that type of fight. I thought this was going to be clinch city all the way. I feel sorry for Jack, at least they'll have gotten the bonus as I'm certain he wasn't offered additional money to keep accepting the opponent merry go round. 

Vettori has very fast hands for somebody at this weight. I'd like to see him in with any of Till, Costa or Cannonier. I also remember scoring his fight with Adesanya for him at the time, but I have no expectations that a rematch would look in any way similar. Considering Adesanya has went from strength to strength since then, and before watching this show I couldn't have told you who Vettori's last three opponents were, despite seeing at least two of the fights. 

• Paid Members

Sorry for the double post, but thought this was better in here. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/12/9/22164921/veteran-lightweight-matt-wiman-released-from-ufc-following-brutal-slam-knockout

He's bound to still be having the headaches from that KO on Saturday night, and Matt Wiman has been giving his walking papers. For his sake I hope the UFC still look after any medical care he needs following that loss, considering it happened during a fight for them. I'd be surprised if they do that though. A shit move on the part of the UFC. 

1 hour ago, WeeAl said:

Sorry for the double post, but thought this was better in here. 

https://www.mmafighting.com/2020/12/9/22164921/veteran-lightweight-matt-wiman-released-from-ufc-following-brutal-slam-knockout

He's bound to still be having the headaches from that KO on Saturday night, and Matt Wiman has been giving his walking papers. For his sake I hope the UFC still look after any medical care he needs following that loss, considering it happened during a fight for them. I'd be surprised if they do that though. A shit move on the part of the UFC. 

Fucking hell merry christmas from Uncle Dana and the UFC!!!! He has NOT had a good week has he, suffers one of the most brutal knock out's i've ever seen (in terms of how long he was out, the sound his head made of the mat ect ect) Then 5 days after more than likely just after he was able to write his name down again he gets his marching orders and let go. 

I mean sure he's on a 3 fight loosing streak and Dana said there will be some serious cuts from now till January but Christ you can't help but feel for Matt

• Paid Members

I don't get why they couldn't just announce the cuts in the New Year. It's not like they have to book fights for people during a specific time while they're on contract, and fighters are not employees who get paid a steady wage, so why ruin their Christmas/Hanukkah?