Bellator 251 - Manheof vs. Anderson (5th November) 🎆

Egg Shen

I don't think I've ever been less interested in Bellator to be honest. 

I enjoyed their weird and wacky shows that featured Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Kimbo, Fedor etc. But the rest? Wouldn't open the curtains if they were brawling in my back garden.

Corey Anderson epitomises how I feel about the company.

• Paid Members
On 11/6/2020 at 11:30 PM, Dai said:

It was a depressingly predictable result. To be fair, Anderson made it look easy and I thought he looked pretty good, so he does deserve some credit. It was a mismatch, but its still Melvin Manhoef staring across at you when youre on youre feet, and he dealt with him easily.

It only took 30 seconds into the first match for me to remember how bad the commentary is. Josh Thompson starts rambling on. Ive had to go back and listen to it again:

"Those of you guys listening at home, we want you guys to listen to the fight....because theres a lot of things you will not be able to hear once the pandemic is done. Theres corners coming in. Theres us commentaring (thats the word he actually said), youll probably be able to hear us. Youll be able to hear the fighters respond. So we need to give you guys a moment to listen to this type of action and you can hear the punches and the thuds landing". Of course as soon as he finishes this nonsense, they all just carry on talking as normal, not leaving a moment of dead air so you can 'hear the thuds land'.

worst commentary team in MMA. 

(gotta get my weekly dig in).

Skipped this again as ive just been snowed under with life shit. Predictable results though.

• Paid Members
On 11/8/2020 at 2:35 PM, David said:

I don't think I've ever been less interested in Bellator to be honest. 

I enjoyed their weird and wacky shows that featured Ken Shamrock, Royce Gracie, Kimbo, Fedor etc. But the rest? Wouldn't open the curtains if they were brawling in my back garden.

Corey Anderson epitomises how I feel about the company.

to echo this, im a bit of a Bellator fanboy, and on paper i think their roster now is about as solid as its ever been, but it just isnt clicking in cage, its the weirdest thing. Bellator are putting on must-see fights for me but at the moment they very rarely deliver, it doesn't make much sense. 

• Paid Members

yeh they really do, hopefully the fights deliver. I'll get a thread up later.

I dunno if its a case of Bellator's presentation not coming across as well as the the UFC's without an audience? maybe that coupled with the unbearable commentary team is making i come across worse than it is? 😄

14 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

yeh they really do, hopefully the fights deliver. I'll get a thread up later.

I dunno if its a case of Bellator's presentation not coming across as well as the the UFC's without an audience? maybe that coupled with the unbearable commentary team is making i come across worse than it is? 😄

There have been some bright spots over the past few months. Archuleta vs Mix was tons of fun, as was the younger Tokov brother vs Gonzalez. Nemkov's win over Bader is probably my personal MMA highlight of the year. 

They have also been unlucky at times. For example, there was little wrong with booking Mousasi vs Lima, but the fight itself didn't deliver in the cage. However, overall, most of the shows have been marked by poor matchmaking, weak fights, and atrocious commentary.  

Given their next two cards showcase some of their best fighters (Pitbull, Amosov), and some of their best prospects (McKee, Davis, Stots, Pico, Storley), things are hopefully looking up for them.

As I have said before, the problem they have with their commentary booth can easily be fixed. All they need to do is boot out Goldberg and bring in someone who can keep Big John focused.