RIP Tracy Smothers

PowerButchi

• Moderators

One of my favourites. From a hot fireu babyface teaming with Steve Armstrong, to his fucking elite feud and team with Tony Anthony, and even towards the end of the 90s just being super duper fun in the FBI, there wasn't much Teacy couldn't do. A massively underrated talent. He was fucking amazing. 

• Paid Members

Generic name aside, the Southern Boys were a fantastic team. Says a lot about the era that they were just sort of there in that tag division when they were so excellent. Never saw masses of his work after that, mostly seen stuff in hindsight but he never really got the break he should have, he was a great hand.

Absolutely no age. RIP.

Like many on here I'm sure, I had a few interactions with Tracy when he was on tour in the uk/ireland, and even a decade later, just thinking of them has me grinning from ear to ear. 

A true definition of the word veteran, he was a man who was completely selfless when it came to paying it forward. A fountain of knowledge who treated everyone he met as an equal. 

Rest easy Tracy 

Watching "Sellout" Smothers rile up the local hillbillies in IWA Mid-South claiming his good friend Jim Cornette had sent him (when Cornette and Rotten were constantly cutting promos on one another) was one of the highlights in the 2000/1 rewatch project I did.

I knew he had been plagued with illness from the updates in the Observer but still didn't expect him to pass away.

RIP

OMG no!!! I am so sad to hear this. I have nothing but amazing memories of Tracy from back in the 1pw days. 

I went over to him too get a picture with him and asked how much it would be and he got so angry because there were a couple of wrestlers charging fans just to take photos. 
He was genuinely so nice and a pleasure to watch in the ring. 

R.I.P to the wild eyed southern boy - Mr Tracey smothers. :( 

My first exposure to Tracy was 90s WWF as Freddie Joe Floyd and I remember not thinking much of him in all honesty.

It was only as I got older and looked back at 90s WCW and then ECW that I really discovered how good and entertaining he was.

Like a few of us here I also saw him live and met him a few times during his time with 1PW. I've got nothing but fond and happy memories of this.

RIP

Oh my god no 

This is awful and tragic news 

I remember attending several wrestling seminars with him where he was very helpful in training and in particular he was a master of the smallest details and helped fine tune a lot of moves for me.

This is very upsetting to hear 

R.I.P Tracey Smothers thoughts to your family and I'm forever grateful for all the advice and time spent with you.

I did two matches with him when he was over here in 2006-07. One went about 45 minutes, the other went about 50. The guy's body was beaten up, but he evidently still wanted to give people their absolute money's worth.

Every talent works with their opponent. Tracy was the kind of unique talent who could work stuff with his opponent, the manager, the referee, the announcer, the timekeeper and most of the crowd, all in the space of one rollercoaster match!

An absolute master of the game and a true loss to professional wrestling.

First WCW match I saw was his barn burner against the Midnight Express at Bash '90. Met him at an event in 2006 and he seemed delightfully nuts. A really great territory worker though, his SMW work is a real great CV of work, especially his stuff with Dirty White Boy.