WWE Hell in a Cell was last night

Bellenda Carlisle

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

I dont think they are going to have to worry about Mania with fans next year, just can't see it happening.

There are fans attending NFL & college football games across America right now at reduced stadium capacity - generally between 20% & 50%. In some cases it's only the organisations themselves choosing to restrict capacity - the governor of Florida has approved 100% stadium occupancy, if they wish.

I'd be surprised if WWE aren't currently planning towards having at least a 50% full stadium in 6 months' time.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

How is Drew getting against Roman? Another Rumble win? If that were the case I fail to see the logic that he wouldn't go after the guy that took his title?

I love Orton but I have absolutely no idea why they put the belt on him.

According to "newz" he's appearing on "A Moment of Bliss" which now has me dreading the inevitable Fiend feud. I have zero interest in Orton/Wyatt.

The options available to McIntyre as champion were much more appealing: Styles, Sheamus (they work well together), Miz/Morrison.

Looks like it's going to be a slog through Royal Rumble.

3 hours ago, PowerButchi said:

Someone on another wrestling forum I frequent has point led out that Orton's reign is more than likely leading to a fucking Edge title programme.

Bleak as fuck

That’s exactly like what KFogg91 has been saying. 

Randy Orton is boring/safe/complacent(?)

also he’s not had a good match/performance/slash in 10/12/15 years

Edge/Adam/Sexton in a title match in 2020/2021 is like being in 2009/2010 again. He’s maybe mid card at best probably intercontinental/US/European level. Again not had a good match in 5/6/7 years but I don’t watch anymore but still gonna slag it off and use a lot of back slashes

6 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

"I haven't watched Eastenders for about 20 years aside from when Janine pushed Barry off a cliff and I'm infuriated Kathy has the caff again!"

As someone who genuinely hasnt watched Eastenders is 20 years I need to know -

Is Kathy really back in it!?

Is she running the caff again!?

Sorry and... err... yeah ... Hell in a Cell.... err... so the cell's RED now!? When did THAT happen!?

Edited by Snitsky's back acne

36 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

Edge/Adam/Sexton in a title match in 2020/2021 is like being in 2009/2010 again. He’s maybe mid card at best probably intercontinental/US/European level. Again not had a good match in 5/6/7 years but I don’t watch anymore but still gonna slag it off and use a lot of back slashes

Can’t tell if this is genuine or some ironic ‘push the cruisers~!’  circa-2005 type nonsense.

Edge hasn’t had a good match in the last 5/6/7 years? True, mainly because until this year he hadn’t had any due to being retired for the previous 9.

And Orton’s not had a good performance in the last decade? Give over. Granted, he might not be the most exciting and needs a kick up the arse sometimes, but I’d have him on my roster any day of the week 

• Moderators
9 hours ago, stewdogg said:

It's not Randy aprton who makes it a vleak prospect. It's who he's glojng to be sharing the ring with. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Can’t tell if this is genuine or some ironic ‘push the cruisers~!’  circa-2005 type nonsense.

Edge hasn’t had a good match in the last 5/6/7 years? True, mainly because until this year he hadn’t had any due to being retired for the previous 9.

And Orton’s not had a good performance in the last decade? Give over. Granted, he might not be the most exciting and needs a kick up the arse sometimes, but I’d have him on my roster any day of the week 

I think he was disagreeing with what Kfogg said, from how it reads. 

• Paid Members

Drew had about a 6 months with the belt - that would have felt like an age 20 years ago. Going by what I've read on here, he was slowly getting the standard champion babyface treatment where fans start to turn on him. Getting him away from the belt is maybe for the best.

Orton v Edge seems like it's booked solely for Vince. Like that time he told CM Punk that Batista v Orton at Mania was going to be "the biggest match of all time" when Daniel Bryan was hotter than a $2 pistol (norm.gif).

Edited by ColinBollocks

11 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

I love Orton but I have absolutely no idea why they put the belt on him.

I could honestly see it being as simple as WWE wanting to avoid giving away McIntyre/Reigns at the Survivor Series 'battle of the brands'. They obviously have a track record of not giving a shit about giving away matches, but they do seem to view both Reigns and McIntyre as being at a very high level compared to others. 

Drew had about a 6 months with the belt - that would have felt like an age 20 years ago. Going by what I've read on here, he was slowly getting the standard champion babyface treatment where fans start to turn on him. Getting him away from the belt is maybe for the best.

Keep in mind that there are no fans at the moment, it's really hard to say for sure what kind of response he would be getting. I think on here it was more about people not liking how he was being booked. 

Don't get me wrong, smarks drive me crazy - particularly the ones that complain about everything but still tune into and purchase everything the WWE puts out, however, in the case of Roman and Drew as faces I think the formula is all wrong. I mean from what I've seen (and I saw more of Roman than Drew) the extent of their character is that they're big and powerful but handsome and friendly lads with patter along the lines of 'I'm here to kick ass and chew gum, and I'm all outta gum'. There really isn't any depth there. Why would I want the face to win? What are the redeemable qualities about this character. WWE's response to this seems to be 'make him look cool' (not mainstream cool, but Vince's idea of cool) and that in turn turns the character into a heel. 

IMO, you either need a top face with a back story that is interesting relatable and something the audience can empathise with (Daniel Bryan circa 2014, CM Punk circa 2011), or you just go straight up with an anti-hero type (The Rock, Steve Austin). Or your third route is something completely wacky and still as an edge of anti-hero to it (Undertaker, Fiend).

Edited by AVM

10 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Sorry, I was trolling/taking the piss/being a cock 

Edited by stewdogg

• Paid Members

I watched Reigns/Uso. Not sure what was the last WWE match I watched prior, might have been WrestleMania. First real experience of Roman's heel work that that Thunderdome thing.

I really hated the set up. The piped in crowd noise is horrible for football on TV and it's just as dreadful here. It allows them tocontrol the dynamic but it's just so false. Not a fan of that ugly red cage either. sure it's for some aestetical reason but it's horrid. White ropes too. Also, was there a CGI Roman Reigns before he came out? That was weird just floating in mid-air. Doubt that's a new thing but can't say I've notice it before.

The match was good in places. Way too long and far too heavy on melodrama. I get that they're trying to make up for the lack of crowd by turning up the mics and having more dialogue in the ring and don't hold that against them but it didn't do it for me. Especially the ref. Most annoying ref since Roddy Piper at Mania 11.

Roman's great, isn't he? I mean, he's generally great at everything anyway, so it's not a surprise but it should be said - he's a brilliant bad guy. That gold glove might be the douchiest thing I've ever seen. What a twat. i know I'm just repeating myself from pre-heel turn but it really is peak WWE for them to turn him in this horrible environment when it couldn't be less interesting. Credit to them for the way they've played it though. The whole "family" thing could lead to Roman vs. Rock but the Heyman involvement could lead to Roman vs. Lesnar if that doesn't come off. They could also just do the Big E thing as a third alternative. That's three decent options they've given themselves.

Finish was crap, I thought. Babyfaces don't give up in WWE. Which makes booking an I Quit match pointless. then you've got to come up with this soap opera shit to get around it. Just commit to something. Jey has had his 15 minutes, just let him quit.

• Paid Members

I hated Reigns vs Uso. The first match was brilliant, until they started talking too much. This one was all the talking and Johnny Gargano-ing, "what have I become?!" grimacing from Reigns, dialled up to eleven.

One of my favourite matches ever is Bret Hart vs Roddy Piper, the internal struggle in Piper over whether to give in to his worst instincts and cheat against someone he loves and respects, with the crowd begging him not to, is brilliant. That doesn't work without a crowd acting as that deciding factor.

What Bret and Piper didn't rely on in that match was loudly shouting "I'M GOING TO HIT YOU WITH THE BELL. I DON'T WANT TO HIT YOU WITH THE BELL.", and "PLEASE DON'T HIT ME WITH THE BELL, WE'RE FRIENDS".

It's show don't tell. The most basic rule of storytelling. Wrestling is a physical form, and the story should be - and very easily can be - told through that physicality. Any smaller detail, there's an announce team there to explain it. When the wrestlers resort to loudly telling you the story as it happens, it tells me that the company either doesn't have faith in the wrestlers to be able to tell the story, or in the audience to understand it. Neither is good.

It didn't help that they also layered on some worked shoot nonsense, with SHOOT NAMES, BRO coming into play.

It's a shame, because I love the story. I've thought for a long that time that they should lean more on Reigns' family, and try to recreate the magic they had with the Hart family in the mid-90s. Afa & Sika showing up at the end was great, but would have been even more powerful if they'd been a constant presence - either visibly or just being referred to frequently - the way Stu & Helen Hart used to be. I'm not sure of the wisdom of booking an extremely frail looking 75 year old Sika in the middle of a pandemic, though.

I've not watched much else of this show, but hated how Elias did his whole usual entrance spiel, built around audience interaction, and telling fans to "silence their cellphones" and so on when THERE ARE NO FANS. The Thunderdome could be a really fun concept if they played up how unique and different it was, rather than just using it to pretend everything's normal. Elias is a heel, so it's okay for him to be a delusional idiot, but it's not like the announcers or anyone called him out on it, so that obviously wasn't the intention.