UFC 255: Figueiredo vs Perez - Nov 21 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

7 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

He’s a useless, racist, woman beating, thick as shite meathead. He brings nothing but bad press, he’s not even a very good fighter and now he’s missing weight. But he stands and bangs bro. So Dana will probably re-sign him for a 20 fight deal after this and put him in a main event. 

Is 30% of your fight purse enough of a deterrent for fighters? I just checked Mike Perrys official pay for his last fight. It was $90k to show and $90k win bonus. Is his payment $27k for this weight miss? If so, losing that to give yourself a much better chance of gaining an additional $90k seems worth it. Even if he has to give $27k of his win bonus as well, its still worth missing the weight big to get an extra $63k bonus.

Edited by Dai

• Paid Members

There should be different penalties depending on how bad you fail. For something as bad as Perry's your win bonus should be taken without doubt, plus at least 30% of the purse to the opponent. Really the fight should be cancelled and the opponents gets his show and win money but i can see why that could cause issues.

• Paid Members

It’s not the card it was originally but I’m looking forward to this now it’s almost here. There’s a few of my favourites on there, even if they’re not in matchups I’m that arsed about, so I’m invested. Add to that a couple of interesting debuts, the return of Joaquin Buckley after delivering the KO of 2020, the return of Ariane Lipski after pulling off one of the best submissions of 2020 and Moreno vs Royval which should be a fantastic fight and really should be on the PPV.

0-A38-B573-824-A-45-B2-A1-CD-E23-AE04-AD

Deiveson Figueiredo vs Alex Perez - This should be fun. Figueiredo is always entertaining to watch and whether it ‘moves the needle’ (hate that) or not, I’m chuffed to see him topping a PPV. He’s quality. One of my favourite fighters to watch at the moment regardless of weight class. He’s lethal everywhere. Perez isn’t well known but he’s a good, tough fighter and always game. He’ll be fancying this. Especially as he has a finish over Jussier Formiga who’s the only man to beat Figgy to date. 

I’m saying Figgy retains by stoppage in the end but I can see it being a little tougher than most people are expecting. Fig’s performances against Benavidez were really impressive but at the same time I think Benavidez is starting to slow down just a tad after a long career. And while Perez is probably slightly less well rounded than Benavidez, I think the timing is better for him and he’s got less miles on him. I’ll be interested to see how Fig looks if it goes into the championship rounds. Explosive, powerful fighters like him tend to fade a bit down the stretch usually so we’ll see if that’s a factor. Also, Perez has some nasty leg kicks, as he showed in stopping Formiga, so I’m wondering if he’ll implement that here. Would seem smart against someone who likes to plant their feet and throw with full power. In the end though, I just think Figueiredo will prove too much. I think his combination of power, aggression, speed and relentlessness is going to take someone special to beat him right now. A smart tactician with ridiculous timing and conditioning like Mighty Mouse. But we’re not getting that answered anytime soon 😞

AF3-B07-D3-52-D0-48-AB-B782-76-A4-C0235-

Valentina Shevchenko vs Jennifer Maia - I can’t really see a clear path for Maia here. Other than the old ‘puncher’s chance’ and how likely is that when you’re talking 125lb women? Not sure what kind of fight to expect really. Maia hasn’t typically been much fun to watch but she was much more aggressive against Calderwood last time out and it paid off big time. I think she might have to go a similar route here. It probably won’t end well trying to bullrush Val but the alternative is to fight technically and I don’t think she wins that game here. Her only hope is probably to just throw caution to the wind. Even if she gets crushed she’ll still get plaudits for that kind of fight. If she tries to fight ‘smart’ I think she gets picked apart and shown up. Better to risk getting stopped in a war (and also maximise you’re puncher’s chance) than go the distance in a snoozer. 

I’m going Shevchenko on points, I think Maia might just be tough enough to last the full 25 minutes. But is that good news? I’m seeing more people picking Maia than I expected on social media. I don’t really get it. It all seems to be based off how she looked against Calderwood but she’s not going to just walk Shevchenko down like that. Nor will she just overpower and overwhelm her the second it hits the ground. If it even does. This is a completely different ball game. Depending on whether Maia comes to make it an ugly scrap or just win a ‘moral victory’ and survive to the scorecards will depend on how good this is to watch, I think.

B8-ABB0-E1-4227-439-E-963-D-F90-CA8074-A

Mike Perry vs Tim Means - I think everyone’s had enough of Perry at this point. The fight itself should be anything but dull though. Perry’s too dopey to do anything but just stand and trade and block punches with his face. And Means probably doesn’t get enough credit for being in fun scraps himself. Perry’s issues (of which there are fucking plenty) aside, this is decent enough. Criminal that it’s on the main card over a genuine barnburner and probable Flyweight #1 contenders fight like Moreno vs Royval though. 

I’ll predict Means to tap him out. Could go either way with this really so I’ve gone with the result I’d like to see. I think Means should win, to be honest. He’s more well rounded and he doesn’t go away easily. He’s also the type of guy a div like Perry will probably have overlooked because he’s not a big name. That would be a mistake but Perry’s making a ton of them at the moment. Only thing giving me doubts is that Means has a tendency to get dragged into slobberknockers. It’s part of what makes him good to watch but it’s also cost him more than once and that kind of fight obviously plays to Perry’s strengths.

C438-AA30-0094-40-AC-9-A8-F-29-E8-DD20-A

Katlyn Chookagian vs Cynthia Calvillo - Again, baffled how this makes the main card over Moreno vs Royval. Pretty much zero interest in these two or this matchup. They’ve both had good performances and some really boring ones. Calvillo has been slightly better to watch as at least she has a strong submission game. But I don’t see her catching Chookagian in one of them and it’s probably going to play out on the feet as one of those 50% sparring session type fights. Piss break central.

Chookagian via lifeless decision. Probably razor close where neither puts a stamp on it or makes a statement or does...anything of note. Then they’ll call out the champ as if they did something. Meh.

DBB26-A1-F-FAF2-4600-B294-E09-F802-D6746

Shogun Rua vs Paul Craig 2 - There was a bit of shoving and pushing during the staredown which I didn’t really expect. Seemed like more of an attempt at intimidation tactics by Craig but you’re not going to shit Shogun up with that carry on. Not sure how to feel about this. Obviously I’m pulling for a Shogun win but I like Craig as well so I don’t want him to get sparked out cold or anything. Hopefully it’s a good fight.

I’ll say Craig on points. I hope Shogun wins but I’ve just got a feeling Craig pulls it off. Can’t really remember the first fight. I went to watch it on Fight Pass earlier to refresh my memory but oddly I couldn’t find it on there at all. I vaguely recall it being one of Shogun’s least exciting fights so hopefully this one’s better.

60091-C9-E-0-FCE-4-DFF-8-DF6-96288-F8971

Brandon Moreno vs Brandon Royval - This is the one! Did I mention that I think it should’ve been given higher billing? To be fair, for all my moaning I do kind of get what they’re going for here. They’ve positioned this as the last fight on free TV before the PPV kicks in. And what better way to snatch a few last minute buys than having these two little lunatics tear the house down? I get it. And whatever, we get to see it regardless of where it sits on the card. Love this fight. I don’t want to jinx it but I really can’t see how it isn’t at the least ‘very good’. And if Figueiredo retains the title, either of these two challenging him next would be tremendous. I can’t decide which fight I’d like to see more. 

It’s a tossup for me this but I’m going to say Royval gets it done by submission in an absolute stormer. I’m a big fan of Moreno but he can be a little bit too reckless sometimes and I think Royval might just be that bit cleaner and sharper in the exchanges. I can see them throwing mad flurries and Royval stunning him somewhere in the chaos, jumping on a choke and closing the show.

Full predictions...

Deiveson Figueiredo by KO/TKO.

Valentina Shevchenko by Decision.

Tim Means by Submission.

Katlyn Chookagian by Decision.

Paul Craig by Decision.

Brandon Royval by Submission.

Joaquin Buckley by KO/TKO.

Ariane Lipski by Decision.

Daniel Rodriguez by KO/TKO.

Jared Gooden by Decision.

Kyle Daukaus by Submission.

Louis Cosce by KO/TKO.

• Moderators
7 hours ago, Dai said:

Is 30% of your fight purse enough of a deterrent for fighters? I just checked Mike Perrys official pay for his last fight. It was $90k to show and $90k win bonus. Is his payment $27k for this weight miss? If so, losing that to give yourself a much better chance of gaining an additional $90k seems worth it. Even if he has to give $27k of his win bonus as well, its still worth missing the weight big to get an extra $63k bonus.

I feel like there has been a recent trend of not just missing weight but essentially going "nah I'll fuck it off then" knowing you'll miss it by several lbs. No point exhausting yourself desperately trying to lose that weight when its not a title match. You know the opponent is basically forced into accepting because they want their show money and Dana won't be happy if they call the fight off. The fight goes on, sure you're going to lose some money but if you win then its not like you're further penalised, the fight is treated as if nothing wrong happened with it. But now you've probably got a weight advantage, maybe not in pounds of weight but an advantage that you didn't flog yourself cutting weight.

I think the penalty needs to be much harsher, much like Izzy said. Make it 90%.

2 hours ago, neil said:

I feel like there has been a recent trend of not just missing weight but essentially going "nah I'll fuck it off then" knowing you'll miss it by several lbs. No point exhausting yourself desperately trying to lose that weight when its not a title match. You know the opponent is basically forced into accepting because they want their show money and Dana won't be happy if they call the fight off. The fight goes on, sure you're going to lose some money but if you win then its not like you're further penalised, the fight is treated as if nothing wrong happened with it. But now you've probably got a weight advantage, maybe not in pounds of weight but an advantage that you didn't flog yourself cutting weight.

I think the penalty needs to be much harsher, much like Izzy said. Make it 90%.

Agreed. I think the Dana factor is massive, in so much no one would want to cancel the fight because their opponent missed weight, as you know its putting you in Dana's bad books. You dont hear of it too often now, but at certain times before when a fighter has missed weight, they have a maximum weight they can get to before the fight. Maybe that still happens and the commentators just dont bring it up. I think its usually a weight which would still normally leave them not at a 100%, which slightly levels the playing field.

Holy shit!!!! Okay so i ended up waking up at 4:30 so i ended up watching the main event live once i had caught up.

FIGGY IS THE FUCKING REAL DEAL MAN!!! He absolutely dominated again, What a force to be reckoned with....

I won't lie i skipped the co-main as i was doing some work......

Tim means picking up the win against that prick surely means he is out the UFC now right??

Sad too see shogun loose in that manner but i think he should hang it up now.....

That closing fight on the prelims was crazy how did that not make the cut for the main show!!......Shame about the finish that shoulder popping out looked horrific.

All in all a really fun show.

• Paid Members

Well fuck me that was quick...

I only did the 256 thread last night and it needs updating already. I’ll wait a few days incase anyone’s avoiding spoilers for this show, obviously.

Love Figueiredo vs Moreno though. As I said a couple of times in this thread, it’s probably the fight that should’ve happened anyway over the Perez one. Well chuffed with it. With the addition of this and Ferguson vs Oliveira, 256 is suddenly looking fantastic. 

Edited by wandshogun09