Bellator 249 - Cyborg vs. Blencowe (15th October 2020)

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

This is going to sound weird coming from me but I never got why Bellator didn’t use Frank Mir on colour commentary. Did they ever? I guess it’s possible they wanted to and he wasn’t into it but he’s better than anyone they’ve used since Jimmy Smith left. 

18 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

This is going to sound weird coming from me but I never got why Bellator didn’t use Frank Mir on colour commentary. Did they ever? I guess it’s possible they wanted to and he wasn’t into it but he’s better than anyone they’ve used since Jimmy Smith left. 

If Bellator replaced Big John with Mir, I can imagine the quality of their commentary would not improve much. Mir had a tendency to phone in his commentary in the WEC, and Goldberg wouldn't be able to bring out the best in him.

Mauro isn't everyone's cup of tea. Even I didn't enjoy his run with Strikeforce, where he had a tendency to cram in too many pop-culture references into his announcing. However, unlike Goldberg and Thomson, he is able to bring out the best in Big John - who is actually a very good commentator when he is beside someone who can keep him focused. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members

I like Mauro and would love for him to be back with Bellator personally. Mauro's loud and OTT but theres no denying his passion and that his reactions are genuine. Goldberg simply doesnt give a fuck, he bumbles through the fight then screams his catchphrase when the fight ends.

Goldberg is the epitome of phoning it in. The guys on auto-pilot. He clearly knows very little about the guys hes watching and only perks up when hes referencing fights he called 10+ years ago. It aint a good look for Bellator when his MMA history chat consists entirely of UFC stuff. Bellators first show was 11 years ago, you'll never hear Goldberg make mention of any past Champion, cause he simply doesnt know any of them. Listen to any fight he calls, he just reads stats off Sherdog fight finder for every fighter, how many wins, how many stoppages by strikes/submission. He has no idea who hes watching.

As a show anchor i suppose he's good, he can nail the ad reads, show open and all that shit with his eyes closed and thats a fairly difficult job, but he has to stop calling the fights. 

Edited by Egg Shen

1 hour ago, Egg Shen said:

I like Mauro and would love for him to be back with Bellator personally. Mauro's loud and OTT but theres no denying his passion and that his reactions are genuine.

IIRC, Mauro was well-behaved the last time Bellator used him. He kept the shouting and pop-culture references to a minimum. 

Btw, you are spot-on about Goldie relying on Fight Finder. 

• Paid Members

All kidding aside, Goldberg is arse. It’s mostly the reasons Egg says. I just don’t get the impression he really wants to be there. Wasn’t it known years ago that his real passion was football and he wanted to be a NFL commentator/reporter? I vaguely recall him doing a bit of NFL work back when UFC got on FOX and he was crap and got a load of criticism online and threw a tantrum about it. He’s in Bellator now but it feels very much like he’s just punching the clock. His enthusiasm seems as fake as his teeth so he tries to mask it by shouting a lot to make it seem like he gives a bollocks. He can’t do though or he’d have bothered to learn more about the fighters he’s calling. He’s been there long enough now.

Let’s face it, he was never much good back in the UFC days. And that’s when he did actually seem to care. These days he’s just getting by on old catchphrases and Googling during the fights. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members

its making me wonder if he was ever any good, Rogan/Goldberg are that golden era announce team that every has fond memories of but maybe we just liked it cause its all we had.

The UFC did Goldberg dirty releasing him too didnt they? think it was out of the blue and i remember Goldbergs son talking shit about the UFC online.