UK Training For Juniors

fozzyrock1986

Hi, I know this is a long shot and will probably get shit on. My son is very interested in learning to become a pro wrestler, the main problems being that he is 13 and suffers from autism. We live in North Shropshire. I’m hoping someone can help as this is his lifelong dream. 

Given current climate of wrestling schools, I’d keep him away from anything until he’s at least 16. And even then, I’d hope he’s discovered something else than getting into wrestling 

• Paid Members

Wrestling is dangerous and he's only 13 years old, maybe wait til he's a bit older and physically stronger?

Also the UK scene is filled with utter scumbags, dodgy conmen and abusers, probably a bad environment for a teenager with autism.

Edited by LaGoosh

Right now with the Covid restrictions you'll find it hard to find anything I expect. As 9thers had said British Wrestling has a lot of scumbags. The type of people that would feel proud to show off that they purposely hurt an autistic kid/person on purpose and generally be a very bad influence. 

I'd seriously recommend trying to dissuade them from taking up wrestling but I know that can be difficult to put it lightly in these situations.

The only compromise I can think of is to find someone that is reputable, can be trusted and is willing to take extra care of your child to begin with. Probably to the point of giving them 1 on 1 instruction while you are in attendance as well.

20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Perhaps try something like Judo, it has some grounding that will be useful when he's older but in a much better environment. 

Yes, along these lines, 13's probably an age to look at things that will help him in wrestling when he's older, rather than getting straight into wrestling itself.

Not knowing the exact effects of his autism makes it difficult to speculate, but something that helps build confidence in public speaking might also be useful along with any physical preparation.

With any luck, he'll enjoy these other things so much that in a few years he'll find he has other attractive options besides wrestling, while in the meantime you've been the supportive parent who didn't say no.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I think the BBC iPlayer has an episode of its 'Step Into The Ring' series focusing on a wrestling trainee with autism, it might be worth a watch to give you an idea of how things might potentially go. Not sure which training school is involved in that.

Step Into The Ring is the Knight family's school/promotion, I believe.

Even before recent events, I’ve always believed that age to start wrestling training should be somewhere between 16-18. This has nothing to do with safeguarding or potential dangers, but at 13 he’s still a fan who reacts in a fan like fashion to what he sees. The emotional rollercoaster of it all can never be replaced or replicated once you ‘know’ things. But that rollercoaster I believe is the first and most important part of training, understanding the emotional connection between a wrestler and a fan, something you can draw on later as a professional wrestler. Let him be a fan enjoying it all for as long as possible, because when those days are gone, they’re gone forever.

I started training at 20. Id feel very uncomfortable wrestling a 13 year old even in training. Wrestling isn't easy, especially if you have someone a little snug like I tended to be. Injuries on kids seem much more likely. You also need a fair degree of core and leg strength which most 13yo don't have. 

Get him into either martial arts or acting of some sort. Build a skill for public speaking and being a character. It's the hardest part of wrestling. Then once he has those skills he could join a wrestling school at 16 or 18. Much safer I'd say. 

As someone else said if he is a fan wait a bit.. When you start analysing it as a trainee it loses its magic. 

Edited by Michael_3165

13 is way too young to be starting wrestling training and I'd be dubious of any school that takes on a 13 year old to be honest. I echo previous comments...

In the interim, if you want to get him to some local BritWres then both APW and Shropshire Wrestling Alliance work out of Telford

On 10/17/2020 at 3:06 AM, AshC said:

I did judo in school and thought it seemed quite a good gateway to professional wrestling. Taught us discipline, balance, control and the ability to fall and land.

This. Judo would be perfect. Would also help develop the nessesary muscles in a much more controlled and regulated environment.

Plus the other trainees are gonna mark for your son when he starts busting out hip tosses like a boss.