The Van Halen Appreciation Thread

WyattSheepMask

• Moderators
On 10/11/2020 at 5:17 AM, Egg Shen said:

Starting points?

Its very easy with Van Halen...just put on their first self-titled album. It's like 30 minutes long and just on fire the whole time. Once that is done and you're dying for more, simply move onto the next album, Van Halen II. That is similar but starts the bring in more of Diamond Dave Lee Roth's cornball routine.

After that you got "Women and Children First" of which I'd say is a weaker effort, but Side A is a ripper still.

Then the next album I'd say save for a moment where you might be slightly pissed off. Maybe its during a commute in your car/subway/bus, perhaps while doing the dishes, I don't know thats for you to decide. But "Fair Warning" is an absolute beast of a record featuring a mostly pissed off EVH.

Diver Down is up next and honestly its the beginning of the end of that era of Van Halen. DLR's routine is getting too much for even the biggest fans, the record is mostly covers. Put this on when you are in a carefree mood.

Then lastly is 1984. Thats got your Jumps, your Panamas, and your Hot For Teachers. By far the most pop record they did.

Don't bother listening to anything that comes after 1984.