UFC Vegas: Silva vs Hall - Oct 31 🇺🇸 🎃 👻🕷

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fuck me what on earth does Dana and the UFC honestly see in that joke of a man Greg hardy. There seriously isn't a single fight he has had that hasn't had some sort of controversy surrounding it or him. 

I just watched the official weigh in video from the UFC on YouTube he had a hour to cut the pound or half pound whatever it was he was over. Did he actually make weight and cut it after that? I'm guessing by wand's post he has but Jesus Christ I honestly haven't heard a single good argument as to why they have kept him employed and under contract.

• Paid Members

He did make weight on the second attempt. Must’ve had an almighty dump.

Not that any fucks are given but the Cortney Casey vs Priscila Cachoeira fight has been scrapped from the prelims as well. Cachoeira has withdrawn due to weight cutting issues.

And speaking of which, look at this sorry state. Cole Williams missed weight for the second time in a row in the UFC.

One of the surest ways to get yourself cut from the roster this. It’s got to be a pretty safe bet to assume he’ll be gone if he loses tomorrow night. And let’s face it, it’s not like he’s lean and chiselled. With that chubby toddler physique he shouldn’t really have much of an issue sweating off a few lbs. Pure laziness. And gluttony. 

12 hours ago, Kfogg1991 said:

Fuck me what on earth does Dana and the UFC honestly see in that joke of a man Greg hardy. There seriously isn't a single fight he has had that hasn't had some sort of controversy surrounding it or him. 

I just watched the official weigh in video from the UFC on YouTube he had a hour to cut the pound or half pound whatever it was he was over. Did he actually make weight and cut it after that? I'm guessing by wand's post he has but Jesus Christ I honestly haven't heard a single good argument as to why they have kept him employed and under contract.

Are you actually being serious? What do they see in him? Why have they kept him under contract?

The dude is a fucking notorious NFL bad boy. He set a franchise record for the Carolina Panthers in sacks, he was named to the pro bowl. He was busted for domestic violence and cocaine possession. 

It might not mean much in the UK, but in the US he's a known figure who can draw eyes from non-MMA circles. People either love him, or want to see him get his arse kicked. But either way, people care.

On top of that, he's a big, really gifted athlete who hits hard. 

If you're Dana and the UFC, what's not to like?

Edited by David

• Paid Members

Yep. That’s what surprised me. I know the clocks changed last week here but I’d still have only expected that to throw the time out an hour obviously. It’s legit though. Chamatkar Sandhu tweeted that and the Sky EPG tallies with it. Fuck knows?

Anyone who set it to record earlier in the week might need to do it again though like I did. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yep. That’s what surprised me. I know the clocks changed last week here but I’d still have only expected that to throw the time out an hour obviously. It’s legit though. Chamatkar Sandhu tweeted that and the Sky EPG tallies with it. Fuck knows?

Anyone who set it to record earlier in the week might need to do it again though like I did. 

Glad I popped my head in to the thread as I had no clue it was an early one. Was planning on catching it in the morning so this is a nice bonus. 

• Paid Members

Well that was predictably sad to watch.

Uriah Hall vs Anderson Silva was always a bit of a mystery. Always had the potential to be either a full on Street Fighter highlight reel or a frustrating 5 round stand-off. It wasn’t really either though. I thought Anderson looked alright early on and Hall was his typical gun-shy self. I had Anderson taking the first couple of rounds. Hall started to get going in the third and then it was all over in the fourth. 

C957-FA6-A-7664-4586-846-E-5-D0-BC7-F03-

Would’ve been cool to see Anderson finish up on a win but what can you do? 

He’s going to keep fighting elsewhere isn’t he? If he can contractually. At the start of the week I was kind of convinced/hopeful that Anderson had finally reached the point where he was content to hang the yellow shorts up for good. He seemed at peace with everything in his career and this felt like the end. As the week has gone on though, the more I’ve watched and heard from him, I’m almost certain he’ll be fighting again somewhere. Every interview he made sure to emphasise that this was his last fight in the UFC. Not necessarily in his career. He’s left the door open enough that I don’t think he wants to stop yet. At this point I wouldn’t even be shocked if we see him box the winner of Tyson vs Jones sometime next year. I’m sure Scott Coker has already got his team drawing up designs for Fedor vs Anderson posters as well. There’s stuff out there for him and I can’t deny I’ll watch. But it’s been over for some time now. Whatever happens next it appears this was it for him in the UFC. 

Mitchell vs Fili was alright. Not quite as good as I’d hoped it’d be but wasn’t bad. Seen some moaning about the decision but I had Mitchell winning fairly comfortably myself. He dominated the grappling as expected and I didn’t feel like Fili got enough done in the striking to win the rounds. Round 2 was his best but even then Mitchell had a fair bit of time on top at the end. Was anyone else sick to fucking death of hearing about Mitchell’s bastard camo shorts though, after the 96th mention of them? Jesus. We see them. He’s wearing camo. No-one gives a balls, stop banging on about it.

Anyway, I think we need to see a Bryce Mitchell vs Ryan Hall fight next. 

Greg Hardy was Greg Hardy. Powerful and dangerous hands, dodgy cardio. Still. Like in less than a round he’s breathing through his japseye. But keep telling us how great an athlete he is. This fight went pretty much exactly as I expected. Greene seems a nice guy but I’ve never really rated him as a fighter. I’ll say this, I was surprised Hardy fucked around on the ground with Greene early. I know Bisping was saying ‘this is good for Greene’ when they were stood back up but it wasn’t really. Greene’s primarily a grappler and his best chance of winning was catching a submission. So Hardy didn’t do badly down there early. But overall his conditioning still looks poor, even by Heavyweight’s generally low standards and once his initial burst of energy fades he mostly plods about with his hands down throwing one slow arse strike at a time. He got the inevitable finish in the second round so whatever. Still not seeing him as anything special though, sorry. Just another Heavyweight slugger. 

Holland vs Ontiveros was over before it really got started. Scary ending. The sound of his head and neck hitting the mat was nasty. Apparently he’s OK, according to the update from Brendan Fitzgerald. Adesanya tweeted this as well.

I like Kevin Holland and I know emotions run high after a fight but I thought he came off as a bit of a dick here. Ontiveros could’ve been seriously hurt and Holland’s celebrating and talking shit to Adesanya? Sit down. 

Not happy that Alexander Hernandez won. And worse than that, he looked really good. Gruetzemacher had nothing for him though. Not sure how much of this was down to Hernandez’s skills or Gruetzemacher’s lack of. Total squash match.

Yanez vs Rodriguez was shaping up to be an all out war but Yanez got him with that sweet headkick and that was that. Didn’t see him on DWCS so this was some first impression to me. Looking forward to seeing him again. Rodriguez too actually. He was game even after getting stunned with the punches, just couldn’t get out of the way of that kick. Both should be fun to watch going forward. 

Strickland vs Marshman was fun as one sided fights go. Marshman was just outmatched here and it turned into a glorified sparring session. His toughness kept him in it but he just got beat up. Strickland providing his own commentary in the third round was ridiculous. “WHY WON’T YOU FALL?!” Half entertaining, half ‘OK I hope you get decked’. Felt like I was watching that Knuckle documentary at one point. Reckon Marshman might be gone now. You never know, Dana loves his ‘stand and bangers’, but it’s just not happening for him in the UFC, is it? “FALL DOWN JACK!” 

Jason Witt absolutely bludgeoned Fatty Williams. Blood everywhere. Got to think Williams is a goner after that. Misses weight badly twice and then gets hammered into paste like this. 

Dustin Jacoby had about as perfect an Octagon return as he could’ve hoped for. Just murdered Ledet’s leg quick with those kicks. 

Not a bad show but the deflating ending everyone expected. 

• Paid Members

Not exactly surprised at how the main event ended, nor that Anderson wants to continue. I could see the UFC allowing him out of his contract if it was for another trade with ONE,  something with Rizin, or to do a boxing match that they have a share in, but I can't see him being allowed to forego the last fight in order to sign with Bellator. So we might see him again in the Octagon. I thought he looked ok all things considered, shame that it ended the way it did though. 

Bryce Mitchell was up on my scorecards too, and really don't know how anyone could have scored it for Fili. 

Greg Hardy continues to stink up the joint, even when getting a stoppage win. When he got warned about the fingers in the eyes I thought 'here we go again'. I expect he'll get another ham n' egger next and make a bit of a meal out of trying to get a win in that one too. 

Wanted to see Strickland get wiped out once he started that shit in the third round. 

Witt, Yanez and Alexander Hernandez all looked great in their fights. Very impressive performances from all three. Kevin Holland looked good as usual and I have to say, I'd really be on board with him Vs Mike Perry at a catch-weight like he suggested. 

I enjoyed the Anderson fight. It wasn't the big deal it could have been a few years back, but still.

Hall is a decent dude, and if Silva was going to lose to anyone in his last UFC fight then why not him, right? So yeah, a decent little scrap.

Will he keep fighting? Absolutely. Some fans don't realise that for Anderson it's not about money, GOAT titles or any of that. He competes. That's what he does. I can see him still competing in some form of martial arts well into his 50's to be honest. MMA? Probably not. Grappling or suchlike? Absolutely.

Interesting, but not exactly suprising comments by Dana after this fight about Anderson:

“Tonight, I don’t feel good about myself that I let Anderson Silva fight this last fight. We’ve treated Anderson with nothing but respect and if you guys knew what Anderson Silva gets paid to fight, you’d sh*t your f**king pants. I think that we’ve treated him like family. I shouldn’t have let him fight this fight tonight.”

While Silva made into the fourth round with the No. 10 ranked middleweight in the UFC, White says that had more to do with Hall’s own problems in the fight rather than the 45-year-old Brazilian discovering the fountain of youth for the better part of 15 minutes.

“He fought a guy that has absolutely zero output,” White said about Hall’s performance. “They’re in a five-round main event on ESPN, they threw 11 punches in the f**king second round. You fight any of these other savages, he’ll be in big trouble and he’ll take a sh*t load of punishment. Uriah Hall threw 11 punches in the second round. Uriah Hall’s one of the most gun shy fighters in the UFC.

“Look at Anderson. When the fight was over, he couldn’t stand to do his interview. He had to sit down to do his interview.”

As much as he wanted to give Silva the chance to go out on his own terms, White admits that he should not have allowed the longest reigning middleweight champion in UFC history to return for one more fight.

“I made a big mistake,” White said. “I shouldn’t have let him fight this fight tonight but out of respect to him, he’s a legend of this sport and a legend of this company, I did something that I disagreed with.

“I knew I was right and tonight proved I was right. Anderson Silva should never fight again.”

During the fight, Anderson certainly didnt disgrace himself, and surely Dana was the only one in the world getting Chuck/BJ Penn vibes from that performance?

• Paid Members

Yeah it wasn’t even in the same galaxy as Liddell, Penn, Rashad or Bigfoot at the end. Anderson’s still a good fighter, even at 45 years old. He’s just not the alien he was in his prime. And while he definitely lost, he gave Israel Adesanya a decent fight just last year. Not denying he’s definitely lost several steps. He’s far removed from his peak. His reaction times aren’t what they used to be and that’s why you see him getting hit more these days. And when he gets hit, he doesn’t take a shot like he used to either. I remember seeing prime Anderson take a flush right hand from Dan Henderson in their fight and walk through it, for fuck’s sake. Those days are long gone. But he’s 45 years old. Nobody’s that guy forever. If Khabib fought until he was 45 you’d see some level of decline in his timing, durability etc.

Dana was asked by the media on Saturday night about other promoters booking Anderson in the future and he started in with his ‘that would be disgraceful’ type of spiel. So it’s OK for Dana to book him in a fight in October 2020 but if another promoter does the same in 6 months time it’s disgusting? This is the guy who’d still be giving BJ Penn fights if he didn’t get caught on camera getting sparked by a fat bouncer in Hawaii. I really think that’s the only reason he cut ties with Penn. Never mind all the losses and terrible performances in the UFC. It took some doorman ironing him out in the wee hours in Hawaii to convince Dana it was over. He slagged Oscar De La Hoya to everyone who’d listen for booking that horrendous Chuck vs Tito 3 mess but he’s really no better when he routinely sent Bigfoot plodding out there into 50 knockouts in a row.