Khamzat Chimaev 🚂

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Chimaev's hype is on a whole other level to what Walker's ever was though. This isnt a standard prospect situation. 

Im not saying it wont all go tits up for Chimaev once he steps up, but simple fact is, its the most high profile fight in the division for Wonderboy to take unless he can secure a fight with somebody ranked above him, by some distance.

• Paid Members

Magny does seem like a good fit for Chimaev's next opponent, though. He is very much a gatekeeper - if you can't beat him, you probably don't belong with the elites. I'm surprised nobody in the top 5 has fought him yet. There are always going to be people nobody looks good against, even in victory; Magny is effective enough that it should be considered a step up to face him, regardless of whether or not it would be a good fight. There needs to be a balance struck between making entertaining fights and making meritocratic ones, because without the former the latter won't have funding, and without the latter, the former won't have legitimacy as a sport.

39 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Chimaev's hype is on a whole other level to what Walker's ever was though. This isnt a standard prospect situation. 

Im not saying it wont all go tits up for Chimaev once he steps up, but simple fact is, its the most high profile fight in the division for Wonderboy to take unless he can secure a fight with somebody ranked above him, by some distance.

Surely if Thompson isn't facing Edwards then it should be Magny getting that fight against Thompson rather than Chimaev?

Magny is currently ranked #10 and is on a three-fight streak with wins over actual names like Lawler, Rocco Martin and Li Jingliang. Or do we just shoot Chimaev past the bottom half of the top ten because he's done well in blasting some chumps?

• Paid Members

in an ideal world no, but in the UFC's world, that's exactly what you do. 

If you look at it from Wonderboy's perspective and you think he has nothing to gain from a fight with Chimaev - massive hype, 5 round main event, what does he have to gain from a fight with Magny? - no hype, probably a 3 round co-main event/main card fight?

It's not really a fair sport, we all know this, its just how it works. Fact is, Khamzat Chimaev has way more notoriety and clout after 3 UFC fights than Magny has gained after 23 fights in the promotion.

5 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

in an ideal world no, but in the UFC's world, that's exactly what you do. 

If you look at it from Wonderboy's perspective and you think he has nothing to gain from a fight with Chimaev - massive hype, 5 round main event, what does he have to gain from a fight with Magny? - no hype, probably a 3 round co-main event/main card fight?

It's not really a fair sport, we all know this, its just how it works. Fact is, Khamzat Chimaev has way more notoriety and clout after 3 UFC fights than Magny has gained after 23 fights in the promotion.

I guess we'll wait and see, but Chimaev hasn't overly impressed me as yet. He's fought no one.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So this is pretty much set for December. 

D78-E35-C9-439-D-4-D33-A829-EF368-DFE3-E

How we seeing it going?

It’s hard to call really because we’ve got so little to go on where Chimaev’s concerned. He’s looked the part so far but he’s also benefitted from 2 of his UFC opponents (Phillips/McKee) being last minute and good style-wise. Phillips especially just never had a hope against Chimaev’s grappling. The Meerschaert win was impressive but it was so short we never got any questions answered. This Edwards fight is a massive jump up in levels. Based on what we’ve seen of both, I’ve got to lean towards Edwards. He’s operated on a much higher level, he’s been in with the current champ and he’s a tricky puzzle to solve. Chimaev might well prove to be every bit the monster he’s being cracked up to be and if he does beat Edwards then, fuck, you have to put him firmly in that title picture already. A win over Leon Edwards catapults you right into that conversation. But I’ve got a feeling Edwards might be too big a jump for him just yet. 

• Paid Members

Unbelievably, Chimaev is the betting favorite at present. As much as im riding up front on the Chimaev train i dont really see how he can installed as the favorite here.

The sense of unknown is what makes it so intriguing though. This kind of thing very rarely happens in the UFC. Imagine if Chimaev wins? he could be fighting for the belt before the middle of next year.

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • Paid Members

Khamzat vs Jack Hermansson in a wrestling match from last night.

Fun to watch. Khamzat slowed down a bit as it went on and I’ve seen people claiming he was gassing but I didn’t see that myself. I think he just knew he was up on points after a dominant first round and was coasting. It definitely favoured Khamzat in the sense that Hermansson is more of a Greco wrestler but still impressive stuff. I know Khamzat’s fought at 185 but Hermansson’s the bigger man, he’s not making 170, and Khamzat was mostly toying with him.

He’ll be tested by someone at some point of course, but seeing this just further convinced me he’s a real issue. 

1973AFEB-F3F4-4248-9201-BB18CD3B4C96.gif