Khamzat Chimaev 🚂

Egg Shen

• Paid Members

Just saw this come up on Twitter, and thought it time the man had his own thread:

Khamzat really has been the "find" of the Lockdown era. We had a discussion on here a while back of how certain fighters cant generate buzz, excitement and make a connection with the fanbase despite being outstanding fighters. Khamzat  is generating buzz and has gained popularity in 3 fights that most fighters dont even get close to in their whole careers. Something special is happening and its exciting to see.

DC is on the train:

Dana is on the train:

Where does everyone see his ceiling? Who do you wanna see him fight next? Is he as good as people are making out? are we getting ahead of ourselves?

I'll wait and see how he does against someone of note. It wasn't that long ago we were all creaming ourselves at the idea of Johnny Walker being the guy to challenge Jon Jones.

If he does the same thing to a Neil Magny or Vicente Luque then he'll start to get my attention.

He could very well be the real deal, but beating John Phillips, Rhys McKee, and Gerald Meerschaert doesn't prove anything. 

He's exciting, but let's wait until he faces someone of note before we all start talking about him as a top five fighter, especially considering the top five consists of Covington, Burns, Edwards, Masvidal, and Thompson.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, David said:

He could very well be the real deal, but beating John Phillips, Rhys McKee, and Gerald Meerschaert doesn't prove anything. 

He's exciting, but let's wait until he faces someone of note before we all start talking about him as a top five fighter, especially considering the top five consists of Covington, Burns, Edwards, Masvidal, and Thompson.

Exactly...he is exciting but its amazing how in MMA people are so quick to anoint the next champ.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Egg Shen said:

Is he as good as people are making out? are we getting ahead of ourselves?

Both could be true at the same time. I think the second certainly is at the moment.

He's a bit further down the rankings, but I think I'd like to see him against a shithouse like Li Jingliang. Solid fighter, interesting to watch, not a world-beater, but rough enough to be a good litmus test.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Scott Malbranque said:

Luque is a great shout. Him and his mental iron chin.
I'd also love to see how he fares against a ridiculously intelligent fighter and striker like Wonderboy. He's a grand gatekeeper for the 170 division, given so many people are talking of Chimaev going top five in the next few months. 

Chimaev actually called out Wonderboy on Twitter the other day after Wonderboy was talking about fighting Leon Edwards.

670-A020-F-973-A-4123-938-C-46-E5-B6-E0-

I’d be all over that. Originally I was thinking they shouldn’t rush him but there comes a point where you talk mad shit, you should back it up. He’s mouthing off at everyone at the moment so bollocks to the baby steps now. If he’s as good as he’s saying he is and as people are hyping him up as, fuck it, throw him to the wolves and see what happens. If he comes out on top then we really do have something special on our hands. If he fails, he fails. But at this stage, he’s got to start cashing these cheques his gob is writing. 

17 hours ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’d be all over that. Originally I was thinking they shouldn’t rush him but there comes a point where you talk mad shit, you should back it up. He’s mouthing off at everyone at the moment so bollocks to the baby steps now. If he’s as good as he’s saying he is and as people are hyping him up as, fuck it, throw him to the wolves and see what happens. If he comes out on top then we really do have something special on our hands. If he fails, he fails. But at this stage, he’s got to start cashing these cheques his gob is writing. 

Yeah, but we can't just turbo-charge every guy who talks shit and knocks out a few no-names. 

Besides, why the fuck would Thompson take that fight? What's in it for him? He beats Chimaev and everyone just says "ah well, dude wasn't as good as we thought" and moves on, while Thompson is no better off.

Corey Anderson knocked out Johnny Walker, stopping that hype train, and two fights later he's on a Bellator card. 

Thompson wants Edwards as a last-ditch attempt at a title shot. Give Chimaev a guy who's borderline top ten. Like Luque or Magny.

If he wins that, then he's in Mike Chiesa or RDA territory.

Isn't he meant to be fighting Maia anyway? He's still ranked 6th.

Edited by David

• Paid Members
18 minutes ago, Dead Mike said:

I wondered what happened to the Maia fight? That would've been ideal imo. A decent name who's legit as fuck and an interesting match-up style wise.

I think that's still happening - the reason why there's so much discussion is because there's the suggestion that, as he's blitzed through three opponents with little damage, he can probably get another fight in before the proposed Maia fight date.

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, David said:

Yeah, but we can't just turbo-charge every guy who talks shit and knocks out a few no-names. 

Besides, why the fuck would Thompson take that fight? What's in it for him? He beats Chimaev and everyone just says "ah well, dude wasn't as good as we thought" and moves on, while Thompson is no better off.

Corey Anderson knocked out Johnny Walker, stopping that hype train, and two fights later he's on a Bellator card. 

Thompson wants Edwards as a last-ditch attempt at a title shot. Give Chimaev a guy who's borderline top ten. Like Luque or Magny.

If he wins that, then he's in Mike Chiesa or RDA territory.

Isn't he meant to be fighting Maia anyway? He's still ranked 6th.

Not saying it’s the most logical matchmaking, just that I’d be up for watching Wonderboy vs Chimaev if it was booked. You couldn’t get much more opposing styles and I always like that. It’s probably the Maia fight next anyway.