UFC 254: Khabib vs Gaethje - Oct 24 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

That entire show absolutely delivered!! What an unbelievable way to end there latest stint on fight island!!

I will give my thoughts on the card as a whole tomorrow, What i will say now is i maybe not a fan of Khabib but i genuinely teared up during his post fight interview and hearing his retirement. He solidified his status as the GOAT and a future hall of famer. 

Thank you for stepping in there one last time, you went out there and put on a truly unbelievable fight.

• Paid Members

Ion Cutelaba got fucked up. He's fun to watch as he's going to win or lose by KO, but a cut below Ankalaev. Happy to watch both these men fight anybody next. 

Disappointed for Walt Harris, but he needed to win this very early to have a chance. Volkov is just too savvy, and that body kick put a hurting on the Big Ticket. Volkov might get Overeem after this, but I'm hoping it'll be Rozenstruik, as I'm still holding out hope for 'Reem Vs Jones. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

We’ll see how long that lasts. This is the cunt who insinuated at one point that Khabib’s dad being sick was a PR stunt to cover for Khabib pulling out against Ferguson at 249. He’ll be claiming Khabib’s retired out of fear before the weekend’s over. 

Incredible performance by Khabib, don't know how he survived those leg kicks. Insane pressure. Absolutely INSANE. 

155 is so stacked, that title is probably going to get passed around like a joint now. Just like the Light Heavyweight title.

Whittaker is hard as fuck, same as above, those leg kicks by Cannonier were unbelievably good. Whittakers combo into the head kick is gorgeous, he hit Romero with it a few times as well. Does Bobby Knuckles get the next shot at Adesanya, or are we waiting to see what happens with Hermansson and Till first? 

That was a very enjoyable show from start to finish. It had everything from submissions, knockouts and striking clinics.

Robert Whittaker really impressed me with his showing and he's put the UFC in a very difficult position, the mauling by Izzy is still fresh in all our minds but there is no one else out there that is a credible number 1 contender. If Jack Hermanson spectacularly beats Darren Till then he could possibly overtake Bobby but aside from that I think Bobby is the man to challenge Izzy next.

I was 100% on team Geathje but you cannot fault Khabib's performance at all. His striking was incredible considering he is supposed to have the weaker stand up game and his transition on the ground to get to that triangle was incredible.

I am sad to see Khabib retire as he is a superstar and I really wish he had more than 3 title defences under his belt, that 29-0 record is fantastic but only 4 of those wins were for a championship. He's the most dominating fighter of all time but Jon Jones (as much as I dislike him) is still the most successful. Without being contradicting but does it really matter who is the best pound for pound fighter of all time? It's a debate that can never truly be solved.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, sukhy said:

Whittaker is hard as fuck, same as above, those leg kicks by Cannonier were unbelievably good. Whittakers combo into the head kick is gorgeous, he hit Romero with it a few times as well. Does Bobby Knuckles get the next shot at Adesanya, or are we waiting to see what happens with Hermansson and Till first? 

its crazy how much Whittakers stock fell because of that Adesanya loss. He came back beat Till and looked great, yet people still slept on him before this fight and he looked great again. For me, Whittaker has to be next. 

• Paid Members

Not a whole lot else to say about the actual performance from Khabib. What a rollercoaster end to the show. The first round was close for the first 3 or 4 minutes and Khabib really sealed it with that late takedown. It felt like it was shaping up to be the fascinating clash we’d all been talking about for weeks. Then Khabib comes out in the second round and just steamrolls him. To then hear that he did all this on a broken foot makes it even more impressive. There was talk that he actually missed weight and if he broke his foot 3 weeks ago, that makes sense as it would’ve obviously really hindered him doing cardio to drop those crucial last lbs on fight week. But whatever the case, this was a hell of a performance.

Absolutely deserves to be in the pound-for-pound convo, as silly as all that talk is. But as far as Lightweight, he’s the GOAT and has been for a while. At this point I don’t even know why there’s a discussion about it. What Lightweight in MMA history has a better resume? It’s pretty much the consensus opinion that 155 is the most talent rich division in the sport. For Khabib to go 29-0 over a decade and barely drop a round is something special. Then you add in that he dominated Dos Anjos back when RDA was a beast and in form. He fucked Michael Johnson’s shit up back when MJ was considered a contender and was coming off a KO over Poirier. He schooled an Edson Barboza who was coming off 3 big wins. He completely whitewashed Al Iaquinta after the most disruptive fight week any fighter had ever endured. Then he wraps things up with 3 consecutive submissions over McGregor, Poirier and Gaethje. I mean, come on. Is anyone still going to try and argue with a straight face that Penn or Gomi are above this fucker?

Whittaker vs Cannonier was good. The right man won but Cannonier showed enough that he’s still going to be a player at 185. Happy to see Whittaker back in the game though. 2 fights in 3 months is good going. Hopefully he can keep the momentum going now and stay healthy/active and we see more of him in 2021. Nobody obvious pops in the head as a next opponent. He’s pretty much fought everyone already apart from Hermansson but he’s already booked against Till. And even though it was a year ago, it still seems oddly too soon for a rematch with Adesanya.

Volkov vs Harris was alright but like WeeAl said, Harris’ best chance was the first round and it just got away from him. I like Walt a lot but sadly it looks like he’s never going above that middle of the pack level at HW. Wasn’t a bad showing for Volkov though. That kick was nasty. I’m expecting Volkov vs Overeem next.

Had zero expectations for Hawes vs Malkoun going in. I’d never seen either before. Well fuck me. Hawes just wiped him straight out in 18 seconds. Hell of a first impression.

Murphy vs Shakirova was a similar thing. Never been too fussed about Murphy and I’d never seen Shakirova. Was decent enough though and Murphy getting the sub was cool. Nice post-fight promo too although the Big Valbowski will wreck her if they fight. Got to admit though, this tweet was the highlight of this fight for me...

93-EE9-B39-6477-4-CDB-8-BC9-5-C28-AE1-C3

1-F4-B3-CB1-12-E9-44-C2-AB55-EB6-D294-ED

LOL.

And yeah, Ankalaev murdered Cutelaba in cold blood. Like Al said, Cutelaba is always exiting to watch but Ankalaev was just a level above. I’m glad the rematch finally happened though. Between this and Ortega vs Zombie, it’s been a good month for cursed fights actually coming to fruition. Ankalaev can move on now from the Cutelaba chapter of his career. Interested to see who they match him up with next. Right off the top of my head fights with the likes of Walker, Prochazka, Oezdemir get the nipples erect. 

Highlights of the prelims for me were Casey Kenney vs Nathaniel Wood, which was a cracker and rightly got the FOTN bonus. And Shavkat Rakhmonov looked really impressive in his long awaited Octagon debut. Putting a tough veteran like Cowboy Oliveira away inside a round was quite a statement. Oh and I know Ebb linked to the tweet but sod it. This tickled me. Poor Struve 😂...

31BACF0A-1A71-4B4A-A187-26494D31D1D6.gif

• Moderators
14 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

93-EE9-B39-6477-4-CDB-8-BC9-5-C28-AE1-C3

Terrible joke execution to be honest. "The bass player for the Beatles" - you're having a laugh mate, thats like saying "The guitar player for the Jimi Hendrix Experience". If he'd gone with Paul McCartney then the joke would've been slightly better.

However, a much better reference to pop the music boys in the back would've been:

Lauren Murphy just choked out the drummer for The Monkees

01-micky-1.jpg

I didn't watch the post-fight interview- Khabib retired?! 😮 Not actually that surprising considering how close he was with his dad and how closely his dad was tied to his fighting career. I've never seen Khabib fight with that kind of urgency, he made Justin look second-rate, just plowed right through him on the feet and ended things basically immediately on the ground. A great, unblemished career. He may have retired a little too soon for GOAT status, but when you mow through top contenders without a scratch on you, what are you going to do?

This card was on at a weird time. I chose not to feel the pain you fellas go through- went to bed as normal, woke up and found a link for the fights. Watched the handful I was most interested in- Whittaker, Tuivasa and Khabib- and I'll go through the rest later. Quick look at the results seems to indicate a damn fine card though.

• Paid Members

That’s another thing. Not only has Khabib gone unbeaten over 29 fights and barely lost a round, he’s also never been cut and never been dropped as far as I know. Unless it happened in one of his early fights in Russia but surely footage would’ve surfaced by now. McGregor fans would’ve dug that out immediately just like Adesanya haters love posting that picture of him getting knocked out by Alex Pereira in his Kickboxing days.

Ridiculous career when you think about it. I think the GSP fight is the only thing that could possibly tempt him to come back but at this point I’d rather they left it. GSP seems happy doing his thing and it doesn’t need to happen for either man’s legacy. And more than that, they both went out on top and had as close to a perfect send-off as you’re going to get in MMA. A fight between them would just ruin that for one of them. 

• Moderators

Khabib seems very much a man of his word, so unless something changes (blessing from his mother?) I just don't see him coming back. GSP vs Khabib in paper sounds thrilling, but at this point its been too long in my opinion. Lets say the did set this up for 2021, then you're looking at a 39/40 year old GSP who has fought once in EIGHT years.

Yeah I know there is always talk about how Georges still trains blah blah, but come on, its really not a prime vs prime matchup. And is GSP really going to do it at 170? 185 seems like a push for Khabib.

If Khabib did come back I'd like to see him fight Ferguson, if for nothing else that we've been robbed of that fight for years and it would be nice to see it happen.