UFC 254: Khabib vs Gaethje - Oct 24 🇦🇪 🏝

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

That’s another thing. Not only has Khabib gone unbeaten over 29 fights and barely lost a round, he’s also never been cut and never been dropped as far as I know. 

dont know about dropped or cut at any stage, but its kind of swept under the rug that Khabib probably should have lost a decision to Gleison Tibau early in his UFC run. Not that it matters, but any longtime undefeated fighter seems to have at least one of these on their resume. Any Floyd Mayweather hater will bring up Jose Luis Castillo for example and for the longest time Ricardo Arona was always brought when discussing Fedor's legendary inititial run. Then there's Tyson Fury who has Big John McDermott 😄

Edited by Egg Shen

• Paid Members

I’ll have to revisit that Tibau fight but from memory it wasn’t a bad decision, just a close one. As I recall it was one of those fights where Rogan became enamoured with whatever Tibau was doing and decided he was winning. So I think that influenced a lot of people. I might whack it on in a bit, I’m wide awake and not getting to sleep anytime soon.

@Egg Shen we discussed the fight last year actually. This post actually has a quote from your immediate thoughts after watching the fight back in 2012 as well which is handy;

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
32 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Yeah, Khabib vs Ferguson is officially the one that got away now. 

Ruin my night, why don't you.

In some ways it's probably for the best. Given how cursed that fight is, the roof would probably cave in the second Buffer was done shouting.

Mad when you think over the past few months we've seen Dons like Cejudo, DC and now Khabib call it a day (with Silva next). 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

I’ll have to revisit that Tibau fight but from memory it wasn’t a bad decision, just a close one. As I recall it was one of those fights where Rogan became enamoured with whatever Tibau was doing and decided he was winning. So I think that influenced a lot of people. I might whack it on in a bit, I’m wide awake and not getting to sleep anytime soon.

@Egg Shen we discussed the fight last year actually. This post actually has a quote from your immediate thoughts after watching the fight back in 2012 as well which is handy;

Good spot! i dont have any recollection of that convo or the actual fight off the top of my head. Im gonna have to rewatch it now.

Did anyone see Dana's post-fight presser? Man, he looked pissed. He gave it the whole "if a guy wants to retire, I can't make them fight" schtick, but it's the first presser where I ever saw Dana end it on his own accord rather than wait until the questions dried up.

Apparently he had a big announcement for after this fight? A reporter asked if he could tell them what it was and he was just like "no."

Rumour has it there was a catchweight bout with GSP pretty much ready to go, scheduled for Fight Island early next year. Poor old Dana counting the dollars lost on that one no doubt.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if Khabib returns for that one fight. No titles, no 155lbs weight class. A catchweight fight to see him either go 30-0 and become the greatest of all time, or GSP beats the unbeatable juggernaut and cements his place as the number one of all the times.

With GSP almost 40 though, it'll need to happen soon for it to have any real value I think. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, David said:

Did anyone see Dana's post-fight presser? Man, he looked pissed. He gave it the whole "if a guy wants to retire, I can't make them fight" schtick, but it's the first presser where I ever saw Dana end it on his own accord rather than wait until the questions dried up.

Apparently he had a big announcement for after this fight? A reporter asked if he could tell them what it was and he was just like "no."

Rumour has it there was a catchweight bout with GSP pretty much ready to go, scheduled for Fight Island early next year. Poor old Dana counting the dollars lost on that one no doubt.

Although, it wouldn't surprise me if Khabib returns for that one fight. No titles, no 155lbs weight class. A catchweight fight to see him either go 30-0 and become the greatest of all time, or GSP beats the unbeatable juggernaut and cements his place as the number one of all the times.

With GSP almost 40 though, it'll need to happen soon for it to have any real value I think. 

The tweet by GSP would certainly support that. I thought it a bit strange he would comment about them meeting up right after Khabib retired as it really isn't GSPs style. If they had a bout pencilled in though it would make far more sense. 

It was a very enjoyable show. The prelims delivered too. I'd like to see Tuivasa fight the winner of Greene vs Hardy. Even the Sam Alvey fight was decent. 

Surely Whittaker gets his rematch now? Hopefully in New Zealand with an actual crowd! 

I loved Michael Chandler's Royal Rumble '93 Lex Luger moment. Can't wait to see him in there against the top Lightweights. 

Who do we think fights for the title? Maybe a Gaethje/Ferguson rematch? I'd love to see Gaethje vs McGregor but I don't think Conor's next fight should be for the belt. 

5 minutes ago, Panhead said:

Who do we think fights for the title? Maybe a Gaethje/Ferguson rematch? I'd love to see Gaethje vs McGregor but I don't think Conor's next fight should be for the belt. 

If it was my call, I'd do Gaethje vs Chandler for the belt, and the winner of the McGregor vs Poirier fight getting the first crack at the new champion.

I have a feeling though that Dana will want to get Conor relevant again as quickly as possible, and will make his fight with Poirier for the strap. 

I'm really excited to see how Chadler fairs n the octagon. I haven't followed Bellator for that long so the only times I have seen him fight were his loss to Pitbull and his win over Henderson. He came across great on the mic yesterday and in every interview I have seen of him this months made him come across like a star. He seems likes a star. I hope he fights before the year is up.

I'd like to see him step in there with Dan Hooker rather than Gaethje.

• Paid Members

I loved the Chandler babyface vignette, the UFC needs to do more of that, simple but so effective. Chandler felt like a star. Even if Chandler tanks at that top level in the UFC he's an asset to the company, could easily see him sat at the ESPN desk.

As for fights, i gotta imagine Conor/Poirier gets the title fight. Then id do Gaethje/Chandler to determine who gets first crack, then maybe do Ferguson/Hooker. There's a few ways to spin it but i like that.

• Paid Members

Yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by the Chandler bit. They’ve dropped the ball a few times in the past with introducing new signings and making them seem important but they presented Chandler as a big deal last night and it was pretty effective. Anyone not familiar with him probably had their interest piqued from that little montage and interview.

I’ve never really taken to Chandler though for whatever reason. He’s a tremendous fighter but I’ve always got a bit of a dickhead vibe from him. Nothing I can really even pin down and put my finger on but it’s always been there. Great addition to the roster. I still think he’d have done better a few years ago when the UFC Lightweight title picture consisted of Dos Anjos, Pettis, Alvarez and Melendez. But there are still some great fights to make. And with Khabib retiring, maybe Chandler has timed the jump perfectly. Everyone’s chances of winning Lightweight gold have improved now Daddy’s out of the house. 

Edited by wandshogun09