Jump to content

Next gen & other gaming news


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

Depends what you are looking for really. Are you invested in or already in the ecosystem of one or the other? If not then I’d say Xbox as it’s amazing value if you get Gamepass and you won’t need to buy very many games if any. PS has the better big budget AAA exclusives but Xbox have been working hard to combat that and they’re bound to start churning out gems sooner or later.

I have both a PS4 and One S. So I'm just conflicted.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Elgar Scrolls sounds like the posho answer to Guitar Hero. I bet Loki is working on it.

I keep rereading this and chuckling, what a conundrum.  

The Microsoft website crashed when I tried to order one there, which is quite worrying considering I'm about to build an Azure platform for a client...

20 minutes ago, TomJones233 said:

I have both a PS4 and One S. So I'm just conflicted.

Well either way you’ll be getting the first batch of ‘next gen’ games on your current system. With Miles Morales and Horizon Forbidden West coming out on PS4 there’s no way that whatever the GoW follow up is that’s slated for next year won’t be too imo.

It is a tough choice though because you know at some point Naughty Dog will release a banger or two and with the aforementioned big three games getting early gen releases you know they’ll be looking to double dip in to those franchises. 
 

Personally I’ve gone PS5 and I’ll maybe see how the cloud streaming service is on Xbox at some point.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mr_Danger said:

I’ll maybe see how the cloud streaming service is on Xbox at some point.

It works but it's not amazing. Stadia works far better but doesn't include your Xbox library etc. 

Saying that, I've only tried the cloud to Android part of the service. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was so happy to see Yakuza finally go multiplatform so more could play them, I'd hate to see it locked to one console again.

Microsoft and Sega do have a little history together tho, the OG Xbox was pretty much a Dreamcast 2 for a while.

Edited by Merzbow
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
32 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

I was so happy to see Yakuza finally go multiplatform so more could play them, I'd hate to see it locked to one console again.

Microsoft and Sega do have a little history together tho, the OG Xbox was pretty much a Dreamcast 2 for a while.

Dreamcast was powered by a version of Windows as well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok, I'm really impressed with how the backwards compatibility mode boosts performance. It's to be expected that games play better but there's some wild FPS gains here.

Load times are amazing, too.

 

Edited by Merzbow
Link to post
Share on other sites

It's unabashed buyers pride because I put money down on the thing, but Microsoft seem ridiculously confident this time around. The hands on videos we've seen so far have looked excellent. You could sit me down and explain to me how freezing seven games and being able to do a quick resume on any of them actually works, but it's still blatant witchcraft. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I know consoles are basically PCs now, but I’m finding the whole next gen confusing as fuck with regard to what games are actually next gen games.

I can handle a PC game having min/recommended specs and know there will be a varying scale of graphical and performance quality depending on how good your PC is, but I guess I can’t get my head around the idea of buying a game and knowing it’ll run on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Part of getting a console has always been about owning a generational leap in power and graphical fidelity, but this generation doesn’t feel like that.

Until the Xbox One and PS4 are dropped and are no longer supported, I can’t help feeling the next generation isn’t really a big leap forward, more a few layers of polish on top of what you’ve been getting for the past 6 years.

This is all me getting old and not understanding it, basically.

Edited by scratchdj
Link to post
Share on other sites

Funnily enough I’ve just been reading about Cyberpunk being playable on both gens but not being able to be upgraded to the next gen  proper until next year. For free. I’m pretty sure PlayStation haven’t confirmed that free upgrade though. PlayStation obviously want to charge us £70 a game but they’ve got a cheek when those same games are £50 on PS4.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone started inexplicably getting emails from Amazon bringing the release dates forward for PS5 games? I’d ordered Spider-Man and Sackboy’s Big Adventure and both are apparently now being sent to me on Nov 12th - before the PS5 itself is released. It’s very odd.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The USP of console gaming - that you have a single box that'll do you for a clearly defined generation and it's games will play the same way for everyone - has been lost, and we're stuck with these PC-like upgrades and half-gens until the platform holders get what they've been wanting for years now but have had to wait for public infrastructure and opinion to catch up: cloud-based streaming of games, where all the processing power can be upgraded server side.

(Apologies for the mammoth run-on sentence.)

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/5/2020 at 10:54 PM, RedRooster said:

Has anyone started inexplicably getting emails from Amazon bringing the release dates forward for PS5 games? I’d ordered Spider-Man and Sackboy’s Big Adventure and both are apparently now being sent to me on Nov 12th - before the PS5 itself is released. It’s very odd.

That’s the PS5 release date for most of the world and games are region free now as far as I’m aware.

Edit: I’ve just preordered the new Call of Duty for PS5 and that’s being delivered on the 12th too.
 

My PS5(pre ordered from Argos) is still due to arrive on the 19th but I haven’t decided on what games to get with it as of yet, I’ve got Fifa 21 coming this week and that’s cross play so that’s my first PS5 game sorted, other then that I haven’t played DMC5 yet so I might pick up that as the special edition will be available at launch, Yakuza 7 is rumoured to be a launch title and although I’m not a fan of what they’ve done to the series for this game I’m a sucker for the Yakuza series, Dark Souls definitely isn’t for me though even if it does look great.

Edited by TildeGuy~!
Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Yakuza 7 isn't out on PS5 till next year, something weird is going on there. I'm wondering if Sony are getting an actual upgraded version with extra work done to it.

Xbox One and Series X versions maybe being much closer to one another, just updated resolutions or whatever.

Edited by Merzbow
Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, scratchdj said:

I know consoles are basically PCs now, but I’m finding the whole next gen confusing as fuck with regard to what games are actually next gen games.

I can handle a PC game having min/recommended specs and know there will be a varying scale of graphical and performance quality depending on how good your PC is, but I guess I can’t get my head around the idea of buying a game and knowing it’ll run on both the Xbox One and Xbox Series X. Part of getting a console has always been about owning a generational leap in power and graphical fidelity, but this generation doesn’t feel like that.

Until the Xbox One and PS4 are dropped and are no longer supported, I can’t help feeling the next generation isn’t really a big leap forward, more a few layers of polish on top of what you’ve been getting for the past 6 years.

This is all me getting old and not understanding it, basically.

I don't think it's an age thing or not understanding it. I feel completely the same. I always thought it'd get to the point where actually there's no big 'wow' jump between the generations because the technology is so good that they can only bump it up so much, and we're pretty much there now.

I'm in two minds about this cross-generation stuff. Like I quite enjoy the fact people aren't forced into spending the big bucks on a new console, but at the same time you want to be invested in something completely new that isn't just a slight improvement on something you could've already bought and probably cheaper too.

My gaming time is down a lot due to having a family etc, but even if it wasn't I'm not sure I'd be that desperate to rush into a day 1 console purchase anymore.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...