Well, that’s ruined it

Frankie Crisp

• Awards Moderator

What was/is something you love but have had it completely or mildly ruined by someone?

Be it a song, book, place, food, film or whatever; has someone ever said or done something which, as innocuous as it may have been at time, has tainted what was once dear to you?

Minor ones for me:

- Springsteen’s Backstreets. One of his most emotive and powerful songs, but at a gig a few years ago (in the company of Butch and Keith), George Jackson’s son started singing ‘it’s time to meet The Muppets’ to the intro. Can’t get that out of my head any time I hear it. Prick

- Hendrix’s Crosstown Traffic. Had it on in the car with my then girlfriend and she chipped in with ‘this sounds like the start of the Hollyoaks music’. Not only did it ruin the song, it slightly tarnished the memory of the love of my life

- Fried Rice. The best hangover food in the world hasn’t been seen in my home since a girl I was seeing said it tasted like her ex’s ejaculate. For clarity, we weren’t eating it at the time (the Chinese); she said that was the reason she wouldn’t nick any of mine if I ordered it

The intention is, of course, for someone to say something in this thread which ruins it for someone else.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members

The song "Can't Take My Eyes Off You". 

I went to a festival by myself last summer (with a few people I knew camped nearby just in case but with their own friends) and ended up hanging out with 20 to 30 random people and it was amazing and a total laugh. 

Except every 10 minutes seemingly they would break into this song and by the song I literally mean the part before the chorus of just drunken people shouting "ba dum ba dum ba da da da dum" etc until the first line of the chorus and then start again. For 4 days. 

I love them but my lord that song gives me panic attacks now. 

Edit: to the point I just called it I Love You Baby when typing this because that's how they knew it all weekend. 

Edited by Shy Dad

• Paid Members

Lazytown (hear me out)

When at university, I quite enjoyed getting home from lectures having a smoke and watching crap kids TV. Lazytown was a favourite because, frankly it's insane. The hero lives in a blimp and backups everywhere, the villain looks like an exaggerated Bruce Campbell. Some of the characters are puppets and some human, but no distinction is made between the two. It was gloriously bonkers 

So, while working for Cartoon Network years later, the company acquired the rights to Lazytown to show on Cartoonitoo (the pre school channel), and to celebrate Sportacus, the main character was coming into the office. I immediately thought we were in for a treat. Bear in mind that time it was quite common for "characters" to come into the office, so we would have someone in dressed as Ben 10 for example. 

So in comes Sportacus, not dressed in character and he's a complete fucking primadonna with a list of demands. The actor is a snug wanker throughout and does a handstand at one point before leaving. The whole thing left me very disappointed and the combination of that and giving up smoking anything means Lazytown is forever ruined.  

Rio Ferdinand. 

Wonderful footballer who bears more than a passing resemblance to my class weirdo at school, who the last I heard, was serving four years at Her Majesty's pleasure for offering young girls cash to do things young girls shouldn't be doing. No matter what Rio has done or will do, I'll never be able to watch him without feeling creeped out. 

Had a friend years ago who was seeing another member of bar staff in his pub who was a bit of rotter personality wise. After they broke up I went to order some scampi fries from him and he decided to tell me the story of how she had come home once intoxicated from alcohol and drugs and persuaded him to have sex even though she was on her period. He likened the smell when giving her oral sex while she was having her period to the smell of scampi fries and I haven't touched them since.

8 hours ago, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

'Sweet Caroline' with every fucker doing the 'So good, so good' bit in the chorus anytime it gets played in a pub or at a party, can't ever listen to that song at home without expecting to hear it

Not a massive fan of the song to begin with most people only seem to know the chorus, but this got compounded by a drunk friend of my neighbour recently while they were sat outside.

”oh I love this song, I love this song so fucking much”, then the chorus hits. “Sweet Caroline!”...and that’s it, not even the “bah bah baah!” bit that everyone does

• Paid Members

"Since I've Been Loving You" by Led Zep.

I absolutely loved that song, from the opening 5 bluesy notes to the then build in music accompanied by Plant being epic on vocals.

Then when giving my dad a lift in a car one day it came on my shuffle play, as Page started up my dad says; "Stand by for the squeaky seat" and there you have it, ruined. Now all I hear is Bonham's arse gyrating as he drums and causing his stool to squeak over and over again. 

Edit: I am aware it was actually his bass drum pedal, but Dad claiming it was the arse/stool combo is a much better image.

Edited by Teedy Kay

While it’s still to be officially confirmed, it seems a lot of places are reporting that Tom Hardy has been cast to take over as James Bond. So if true, what hilarious voice will Bond have going forward

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/films/1337457/Tom-Hardy-new-James-Bond-Daniel-Craig-No-Time-To-Die-Christopher-Nolan-next-James-Bond

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Awards Moderator

A couple more music ones for me.

'Perfect' by Fairground Attraction - not a song I'd normally listen to much anyway, but on a family holiday with some family friends when I was about 13, one of their kids would sing "it's got to be-e-e-e-e-e-e-e, perfect", over and over again. Just that line. None of the rest of the song. Constantly. I get a Captain Darling-style twitch when I hear it even now. 'Build Me Up Buttercup' has the same effect, but only because I group the two songs together in my head.

Any of Lionel Richie's greatest hits - when I did my year 10 work experience in a local shop, this was the only CD the owner had. So he'd have it on in the shop, on repeat, all day, for two weeks. I must have heard all the hits 8 or 9 times a day, and I've not been able to hear them since.