The Why Didn't This Happen Thread

The Maestro

I'm watching the newest episode of Timeline about Daniel Bryan and The Miz and looking back it flummoxes me why this was not built towards Mania. Everything about the feud is gold and deserves to be remembered as one that culminates on the grandest stage of them all. I wouldn't say it it's a missed opportunity as it was still fun but looking backing they had all the ingredients to make it a Mania match for the ages. 

So what are yours? What feud could have been made into something that much bigger with a grander stage? What was something that you enjoyed that deserved more? And more importantly would Stuart Ripley enjoy it? David, it's over to you.

The Shield triple threat for the World Title at a Wrestlemania should have definitely happened. I know they did the match at a PPV, but without Googling it, I wouldn't be able to tell you what event it was.

They could have even booked a Fatal 4 Way vs Brock after they did the split, as a Mania main event as well, but they somehow avoided that as well.

Hogan vs Flair at Mania 8 is a huge one as well. 

I think it was fairly unanimous at the time that having Reigns vs Cena seemingly for no reason on anything other than Wrestlemania was a massive mistake.

While I think Bret took himself far too seriously, Hogan being a dick in 93 and not putting him over at Summerslam caused a lot of issues, but then we’d have been robbed of the Lex Express, so you know...

Super Cena vs The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak would have been incredible. Probably the biggest match they could've done post-Attitude and they missed the mark.

Also Cena vs Roman, which apparently happened, but I'd be fucked if I remember.

Hogan vs Flair with all of the Golden Era WWF bells and whistles would have been glorious. They teased it on TV but we never got the big match.

Don't get me started on Becky vs Ronda.

The Nexus not going over in their Summerslam main event. It killed a promising stable from the very beginning. The story had been very much framed as ‘who can stop this invading force?’ and the answer was given to us right away. Imagine if they had won this match, and this was followed by Wade Barrett’s WWE title match which he also won? He’d have been the made man that he should have been, rather than the wasted opportunity he ended up being.

3 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Super Cena vs The Undertaker's Wrestlemania streak would have been incredible. Probably the biggest match they could've done post-Attitude

That was one of numerous reasons the end of the streak stunned me so. I was CONVINCED they would do that!

3 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Looking back that's a lock. As much as I love that event, a reshuffle would have upgraded it from being another Mania to being considered one of the all time greats. 

This reshuffle would also allow for Savage v Jake in the Wrestlemania match that feud deserved.

• Paid Members

Actually a fair few of these are “we absolutely know why these didn’t happen.”

4 hours ago, The Maestro said:

I'm watching the newest episode of Timeline about Daniel Bryan and The Miz and looking back it flummoxes me why this was not built towards Mania. Everything about the feud is gold and deserves to be remembered as one that culminates on the grandest stage of them all.

Which time? The time where the peak of their rivalry came too soon to stretch it out to Mania, or when Bryan came back at a Mania so needed a slow start back, and when he and Miz had their program again it would have been weird to stretch it out as long as Mania?

3 hours ago, sukhy said:

Hogan vs Flair at Mania 8 is a huge one as well. 

We know exactly why that didn’t happen. Either “it didn’t draw on the house shows” or “Hogan was fucking off to do movies” depending which you prefer. Both are true although the latter is the better reason Hogan couldn’t very well win the belt from Flair. Let’s face it, he wasn’t going to lose ahead of his break, was he?

3 hours ago, The Maestro said:

Looking back that's a lock. As much as I love that event, a reshuffle would have upgraded it from being another Mania to being considered one of the all time greats. 

So, Hogan vs Flair, Savage vs Jake, Undertaker vs Sid might have been pretty good, but to denounce Mania VIII as “another Mania” is a massive disservice. Very few Manias before 17 had two matches has good as Flair/Savage and Piper/Hart.

3 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

I think it was fairly unanimous at the time that having Reigns vs Cena seemingly for no reason on anything other than Wrestlemania was a massive mistake.

Completely agree. Same show as Lesnar/Strowman. Ludicrous booking of massive matches for a B show, apparently to try and pop Network subs and prove to shareholders they could get the numbers in months where people aren’t just using a free month to see the Rumble, Mania or SummerSlam.

28 minutes ago, Mr Lawrence said:

A proper Demolition v LOD blow off. Paint v Paint match. Then Ax could have retired and Smash become Repo Man.

Different time. The big matches happened on houses, not TV. If you wanted to see that match with a finish at the time, you saw it live.

Booker T beats Triple H for the title. Trips could have won the belt back a couple of months later so they could do Triple H/Goldberg later. 

Backland at least holds the title to WrestleMania 11. If Diesel is the guy have him win the Rumble and squash Backlund at Mania. Watching OSW, it got me remembering how over Backlund got in the run up to Survivor Series and the butyrate was the best Survivor Series since 1991 until Deadly Game.