Brock Lesnar is apparently a free agent.

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

It’s such a non-story and Brock is so obviously just going to end up back with Vince that I wasn’t even going to comment. But then I saw people using this photograph of Brock when reporting the news. God, that WWE title belt looked so much better when it had “Champion,” on it and wasn’t just a big gold logo.

31C364BA-8797-422D-9254-8CB7383189A4.thumb.jpeg.99f966325d964dc984a11a304316c820.jpeg

• Paid Members

If I was AEW I'd be up front and realise he's clearly going back to WWE, but he wants to negotiate a new bigger deal as always. I'd offer him a one-shot deal. Maybe a month of TV and a PPV. You get Lesnar and footage of Lesnar for future use, Lesnar gets more power in the negotiation because he's proven he'll go elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Is Brock even a proven draw the past few years? Has he justified his price tag? I don't recall any reports of big ratings bumps or sell out crowds for his appearances?

Further to @Ralphy and @Merzbow’s comments, he’s been the top guy during a period of the company making record amounts of money. The booking of him has been that he is the guy to beat. The Royal Rumble has now moved into being it’s own stadium show, something which happened while he was on top, and that’s before you start to consider the Saudi Blood-Money shows.

Using PPV buyrates/TV ratings as a metric is difficult, particularly PPVs because of the network. WM30’s buyrate was down 34.1% from WM29 with the launch of the network, and WM31’s buyrate was down 37.5% from WM30 (-75.2% from WM29), but both events were still huge successes. TV ratings continue to fall, which has been happening for years, but they still got $1billion from FOX.

And he looks the fucking man walking around with the belt, and even more so when they still had two.

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Is Brock even a proven draw the past few years? Has he justified his price tag? I don't recall any reports of big ratings bumps or sell out crowds for his appearances?

I don't think anyone involved with wrestling is an actual draw anymore, at least in the traditional meaning of the word. Vince has got what he wanted all along, and that's to make the promotion the draw, so it took away the power the wrestlers had. As the old saying goes though, be careful what you wish for, as he's stuffed now the way we watch TV has changed and his rating are in an almost terminal decline as there is no-one left to bring in to pop the ratings or house show attendances like there has been in the past.

Now, all he can do is hope to attract an outsider like he did with Tyson Fury, and because he is only ever going to be on a one or two shot deal it's like putting a plaster on the issue.

The only person I can think of that would be a consistent draw would be if they could persuade Conner McGregor to do a Rhonda Rousey and turn his hand to wrestling, and  train/work full time for a spell. Trouble is, your then back to square one when he inevitably calls it a day...

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, Cod Eye said:

The only person I can think of that would be a consistent draw would be if they could persuade Conner McGregor to do a Rhonda Rousey and turn his hand to wrestling, and  train/work full time for a spell. Trouble is, your then back to square one when he inevitably calls it a day...

I can see it now. McGregor comes in and the plan is for him to dominate for a year then put somebody over big on his last night, cementing a new full-time star.

WWE would decide Matt Riddle is the guy who should get the big win and then have him go over by a fluky roll-up in a triple threat match with Baron Corbin.

• Paid Members

I don't see how anyone makes money with Brock right now. Japan's likely out the window for some time. UFC would get zero extra dollars if he's on a show. Other MMA groups presumably couldn't use him till he's been in the testing pool for six months, plus he's 43 and hasn't officially won a fight in ten years, so the best bet is probably Bellator losing their ass putting him against Fedor.

AEW probably won't be able to do a big live gate any time soon and doesn't really need ratings until their next deal is due, so you're left with PPV. Given they're doing 100,000 on a good day, I'd be surprised if he could add more than 50,000 buys. That's under $1.5 million extra revenue, out of which you've got to pay Lesnar. So really you're probably talking a breakeven proposition done to get attention and use him to build somebody. And your big problem there is the obvious candidate is Moxley, and the reason that's a story for their core audience is also the reason Moxley probably wouldn't be that into the idea.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

If I was AEW I'd be up front and realise he's clearly going back to WWE, but he wants to negotiate a new bigger deal as always. I'd offer him a one-shot deal. Maybe a month of TV and a PPV. You get Lesnar and footage of Lesnar for future use, Lesnar gets more power in the negotiation because he's proven he'll go elsewhere.

Any response to that from Brock that isn't screaming laughter down the phone is a positive from AEW. There is nothing to lose in asking the question.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, seph said:

Any response to that from Brock that isn't screaming laughter down the phone is a positive from AEW. There is nothing to lose in asking the question.

Oh absolutely. I'm not under any illusion he'll leave WWE, but hypothetically that's the approach I'd use. Shit, even just do an appearance in the crowd. At the very least it'll get people talking about AEW.