UFC Vegas: Covington vs Woodley - Sep 19 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The fact that either fighter, and I include Woodley in this, because he knows that by throwing up BLM at his presser the kind of reaction he was going to get from Covington, is using this line of schtick is fucking sickening.

The way Usman played the build up to the fight with Covington was perfect. Don't give him any ammunition, play it smart, then just get the job done. Woodley has sadly allowed himself to be dragged into the Covington world of absolute bullshit.

Thankfully there's no fans allowed for this one. Imagine if there were? Covington wins, his fans start to celebrate, and trouble kicks off. Fuck that.

I had planned on skipping this card. I didn't think I would enjoy anything about the Covington vs Woodley spectacle, and I wasn't wrong. 

However, the fights were ongoing at the same time as the basketball game I was watching, so I had the main card on in the background.  

I was lucky to see the Walker/Spann shootout and the Chimaev knockout. Does anyone know why Walker is now training with Kavanagh? I thought he had only just hooked up with Tristar?

Edited by jimufctna24

well what a main card that was, It really lived up to alot of the hype maybe bar the main event but i really did enjoy this one.

Colby Covington vs Tyron Woodley 

It was a solid main event showing for Colby he absolutely dominated the fight making Woodley look several classes below him and thats me saying this not a fan of Colby at all. I think Tyron was beat at the end of the third and was begging for a way out. Dana has said he thinks Woodley is done now, I don't disagree and could see the news of him being let go coming very soon

Donald Cerrone vs Niko Price 

I was really routing for cowboy in this one even though it was tough cos i do like Niko. Price nearly finished it in the first round and cowboy looked seriously rattled and abit deflated tbh. Dana has said he needs to have the talk with Donald which is tough to hear but i really do think he is done and needs to have someone say no more as we all know Cowboy will fight to the grave.

I do not agree with the decision 1 bit i thought Price absolutely did enough to get the first 2 rounds, Round 3 was abit more split and Donald was abit busier during but i was genuinely shocked when it came out it was a draw. Even with the point deduction for the eye poke i thought Price was absolutely dominant in the first 2 

Khamzat Chimaev vs Gerald Meerschaert

WOW!! i mean i was on the hype train for Khamzat anyway but that was utterly ridiculous. 17 seconds 1 PUNCH making any one of the doubters out there sit down and say okay this guy is not messing around at all. Dana has said he had alot of scrambling to do before going to fight island today as they are going to get him fighting again on a card over there and i couldn't agree with that more, He wants to fight, he is taking 0 damage and his stock is rising rapidly in such a short period. Love him or hate him you cannot argue for 1 second that this guy is not next level impressive 

Johnny Walker vs Ryan Spann 

I really wanted walker to win with a big KO and boy did he. loved this fight it really set the bar in terms of what you want in a mma scrap on a main card 

Mackenzie Dern vs Randa Markos 

I am not a fan of women's fights normally bar Nunes and a small set of other fighters but i really was into this one and the impressive submission victory really had me sit up and get excited. 

Kevin Holland vs Darren Stewart

Great scrap to open the main card, i thought the judges gave it to the right man in Kevin Holland and im excited too see what's next for him

All in All a very very good fight night card and it's going to be tough to beat this one next week however i do think it has the potential to be a more explosive card, I have missed being excited for a ufc card and coming away happy and excited for the future for a number of fighters on it. 

• Paid Members

Covington vs Woodley went about how everyone expected. Not the most exciting fight to watch but Covington shut him down very effectively and in annoyingly predictable fashion. I don’t know if Woodley is DONE like everyone’s saying but he’s clearly done as a title contender and that’s probably the same thing because I don’t think Woodley is the type who will want to hang around as an ‘also ran’. At the same time though, I think we’ll see him again. Even if it’s just once more. I can’t see him going out on a loss to Covington and letting him have the bragging rights of sending Woodley into retirement. As for Covington, we’ve got Usman vs Burns next and it’s looking like Masvidal vs Diaz 2 is being targeted for early next year. So, Covington vs Edwards maybe? Maybe Colby sits out for the Usman-Burns winner but that’s a risky game because you know Dana’s not his biggest fan. If he can spin passing Colby over and giving the shot to the Jorge vs Nate winner or Edwards you know he will.

Here’s Colby being Colby after the fight...

I think we can agree it’s beyond a gimmick now, right? And if it is a gimmick, it’s arguably even worse because then he’s just pretending to be a repugnant, vile racist scumbag just for attention/promotion. Excellent fighter, I’ll never say otherwise, but he’s complete fucking trash as a person and that overrides his skills for me. I wish he’d just get obliterated and fuck off forever. When he ran out of the cage after Usman smashed his chin, I wish he’d have just kept running and not came back. 

Cowboy vs Price was so much fun. Exactly the kind of fight you’d expect given their styles. Although I’d never have predicted them going the distance and drawing in a million years. Had Niko winning myself but whatever. Wouldn’t mind seeing a rematch sometime. Sod it, give them a headline spot over 5 rounds next time. We’ve had much weaker Fight Night headliners this year and another one coming up in Holm vs Aldana in a couple of weeks.  

This little post-fight exchange was cool;

Khamzat Chimaev then. Like I said, poor Gerald. He didn’t stand a chance with that punch though. He circled right into it and it came so fast and landed right in the sweet spot. There was no coming back from a shot like that. This was mega impressive because Meerschaert’s a tough veteran, he was well up for it and he wasn’t coming in on a couple of days notice like Khamzat’s last 2 opponents. The hype is going to go off the charts for Khamzat now. Understandable but, and I don’t want to be a party pooper, there’s still questions on him. The criticisms our Gerald was making going in are still valid. He just wasn’t able to be the one to put them to the test. We still haven’t seen how Khamzat deals with real resistance or adversity, we don’t know what his cardio is like etc. It’s a credit to Khamzat that he’s got this far without having to show those things, of course, but I’m going to hold off on declaring him the future champ or P4P King and all that craziness for the time being. Very impressive though. Not diminishing that. 

Walker vs Spann was a nutty little fight, wasn’t it? So happy to see Walker back in the win column. He didn’t half make hard work of it though. Christ. I thought he was done the first time he got dropped. Then he got decked again and mounted with his arm trapped. I resigned myself to the fact he was going to lose again. Then those hammerfists and elbows came raining down and it was a wrap. Beautiful.

4-FC3-EC52-48-BF-492-F-A817-40-CFE16-E32

Now can we please get Walker vs Jiri Prochazka booked? I’m hoping that’s why there’s been no word on Jiri’s next fight. Maybe they were waiting to see how this fight played out. It’s got to happen. 

Mackenzie Dern looked great. Probably the best she’s looked so far in the UFC. I don’t know what she changed but she seems to have the weight cutting down now as well. That was becoming a real issue and she missed weight 3 times in her first 7 fights. But she’s making weight and looks in better shape than ever these days. Maybe having a baby has given her that kick up the arse to really take it serious. The grappling was beautiful to watch. Randa was just out of her depth. As soon as Dern slipped on that kick and Randa followed her to the mat, she basically sealed her own fate. I like Randa but I think this might be it for her in the UFC sadly.

Wonder where Dern goes from here. I don’t know if it even makes sense right now but I’d be interested to see her against Tatiana Suarez. That could be a really good battle of BJJ vs Wrestling.

Can’t be arsed to go into everything else but the prelims were decent as well. Mostly finishes. The highlight being the Randy Costa headkick KO in 40 seconds. Costa is worth tuning in for. That’s 2 quick and exciting finishes in a row for him now.

Edited by wandshogun09

I'll be completely honest i was in the pub having some dinner and i watched Colby and Usman go back and forth on the espn post fight show and i out loud said what a fucking dick Colby is for what he just said to Usman. 

I'm all for gimmicks, I'm all for pushing the boundaries to get attention/build fights but what he said was straight up racist and that is not only unacceptable but i feel abit disappointed the UFC & Dana are happy to let one of there top guys go out and make such comments