UFC Vegas: Overeem vs Sakai - Sep 5 🇺🇸

wandshogun09

Who wins and how?   

9 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Paid Members

Yeah Stipe Vs Ngannou II and Overeem Vs Jones, with the winners facing off would be what I'd like to see too. 

I expect it'll be Lewis Vs 'Reem though, with Jones sitting out until Ngannou Vs Stipe is decided, and coming straight in at a title fight. 

If Ngannou has to fight again before getting a re-match with Miocic, then that's a total piss take. Man has earnt another crack at Stipe, even if it might work out that Miocic has his number. That four way of Miocic, Jones, Ngannou and Overeem though, that's exciting stuff right there. 

• Paid Members

Those finishing elbows from Overeem were sickening. Again, he kind of lumbered through it but again he found a way. 2020 Overeem is a dangerous bloke.

Thought Pereira looked great. It was literally the perfect showcase opponent though, a very conventional boxer type. Pereira ate him up, and preserved his energy too. Like Michael Page, and like old school Machida, Pereira is a problem is you cant get tabs on that style, i think he could beat some of the best guys in the world. Theres no one else like him.

• Paid Members

Look at this...

If you want a closer look;

3-C79081-D-DF0-A-4-F3-F-A94-F-80-A93-EFD

The battle scars of a 20+ year career in combat sports. 80 pro fights between MMA and Kickboxing. And probably a few more in the early days off the books. What a journey.

Like David said on the previous page, it’s mad how he’s turned it around. Back when he was getting slept by the likes of Ben Rothwell and Travis Browne you’d never have predicted that he’d be fighting like this years later, weathering storms and taking dangerous young up and comers out in the later rounds. No doubt there was a period of transition there where his body had to readjust to coming off whatever shopping list of gear he was on in Japan a decade or so ago, and that probably contributed to some of those slumps. There was a point in around 2013/14 where it genuinely seemed like Overeem’s UFC career was a bust. But you can’t fault the man’s persistence and ability to adapt his style as the years have gone by. His experience has really shown in his last couple of fights especially. He always had the rep as a bit of a frontrunner but he’s proved that theory wrong by digging deep and coming back to finish Harris and Sakai this year. On top of that, I think he’s a much more well rounded mixed martial artist now. He always had a strong submission game but I’ve noticed in his last bunch of fights in particular that he really blends everything together more now. He takes whatever opening he can find rather than just looking to blast strikes and force the KO like he often did, especially in that DREAM-Strikeforce-early UFC period when he was at his most absolutely massive and on that big winning streak.

He’s never been a favourite of mine and at times I kind of disliked him. But I can’t deny, I’d like to see him get that last major title before he finally retires. It’s really the only thing he hasn’t done. 

DA2FDE8E-DAFF-428D-B967-3ACEEFEE0185.jpeg

On 9/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, wandshogun09 said:

Back when he was getting slept by the likes of Ben Rothwell and Travis Browne you’d never have predicted that he’d be fighting like this years later, weathering storms and taking dangerous young up and comers out in the later rounds.

I have zero recollection of his loss to Rothwell.

IIRC, the losses to Big Foot and Browne owed to his defensive frailties, rather than anything else. He was well on top in both bouts before his opponent found an opening (or perhaps he left an opening). 

I read an article by Slack a while back that argued that he had the same weakness in K1 to some extent. And to be fair, issues with defence are always going to cost a heavyweight fighter more than a welterweight. It often only takes one punch to end a fight at heavyweight. 

On 9/7/2020 at 5:42 PM, wandshogun09 said:

No doubt there was a period of transition there where his body had to readjust to coming off whatever shopping list of gear he was on in Japan a decade or so ago, and that probably contributed to some of those slumps.

Aye, he got busted in 2012 IIRC. I believe he was withdrawn from a scheduled title bout with JDS. 

Overeem was a bit of a punching bag for the anti-PED mob around that period, because visually he was the most obvious offender. His physique was always going to raise more eyebrows than say Anderson Silva's or Lyoto Machida's.

After 2012, I don't think he was doing that much more than others were doing in that era. It's probable that most UFC fighters were to some degree flouting drug tests around that period. It wasn't until early 2014 that NSAC outlawed TRT, and not until July 2015 that USADA started testing UFC fighters. 

And to his credit, he hasn't failed a drug test in almost a decade. While many other ageing fighters have failed multiple tests. 

Edited by jimufctna24

• Paid Members
20 hours ago, jimufctna24 said:

I have zero recollection of his loss to Rothwell.

IIRC, the losses to Big Foot and Browne owed to his defensive frailties, rather than anything else. He was well on top in both bouts before his opponent found an opening (or perhaps he left an opening). 

I read an article by Slack a while back that argued that he had the same weakness in K1 to some extent. And to be fair, issues with defence are always going to cost a heavyweight fighter more than a welterweight. It often only takes one punch to end a fight at heavyweight. 

Aye, he got busted in 2012 IIRC. I believe he was withdrawn from a scheduled title bout with JDS. 

Overeem was a bit of a punching bag for the anti-PED mob around that period, because visually he was the most obvious offender. His physique was always going to raise more eyebrows than say Anderson Silva's or Lyoto Machida's.

After 2012, I don't think he was doing that much more than others were doing in that era. It's probable that most UFC fighters were to some degree flouting drug tests around that period. It wasn't until early 2014 that NSAC outlawed TRT, and not until July 2015 that USADA started testing UFC fighters. 

And to his credit, he hasn't failed a drug test in almost a decade. While many other ageing fighters have failed multiple tests. 

A few years down the line and its worth  noting that his drop off since the UFC clampdown on PEDs has been far less severe than numerous other big names. Which lends credence to my belief the gear benefited him less than what the majority of other steroid wankers.