Jump to content

Work


Tommy!
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
1 minute ago, Joe Blog said:

Sorry to hear that mate. Keep your head up and something will come around. 

This is the immediate post-rejection depression talking but I don't think it ever will. One of those rejections was a job I was completely qualified for. I hit every criteria they were looking for, and the feedback I got was that I didn't have enough management experience despite me having had ten years' management experience in a much bigger organisation than they were. How am I supposed to take that?! Shit.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Awards Moderator
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

When was the last time you did interviews? Could just be a bit rusty?

It was a few months ago, but for the last of these ones I did some practice interviews beforehand to make sure I wasn't, and I'd had one the day before which I knew I wasn't great at, so wanted to do everything I could to make sure I was at my best for this last one and avoided where I felt I'd gone wrong the previous day. Still wasn't enough. This one was just to get through to a second interview and I couldn't even get that far! 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

There is also the possibility that they were going through the motions and already had their mind made up on who they wanted before the interview stage. 

Yeah I thought this when the 10 year experience was mentioned. Very much 'no homers' club. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Don't take it personally HG (know that's easier said than done). I've sat on the panel for more than 1 interview where the main interviewer already knew who they wanted to hire. Fuck 'em. You will find something. And if they don't recognise you as being worth the investment from the start then they probably aren't worth the investment of your time and effort either. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members
7 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

This is the immediate post-rejection depression talking but I don't think it ever will. One of those rejections was a job I was completely qualified for. I hit every criteria they were looking for, and the feedback I got was that I didn't have enough management experience despite me having had ten years' management experience in a much bigger organisation than they were. How am I supposed to take that?! Shit.

Yeah, keep your head up. Definitely the post-rejection blues.

I had a similar scenario last year. Applied for a role at Shopify where my experience and skillset was literally a match, point-for-point, for what the job description was asking for. Didn’t even get an interview. Replied seeking feedback on why my application wasn’t progressed when on paper I seemed a match, and got a silly answer back in that I didn’t do anything above and beyond submitting my résumé and cover letter that set me apart from other candidates… despite their application form just having upload fields for a résumé and cover letter. So got a bit of a hump on that they’ll happily turn qualified candidates down for roles because they didn’t know about some secret “Impress us!” rule when applying.

A couple of months later, I was head-hunted to join a tech team by Pfizer, and promoted within six months from senior engineer to leading my own tech team for a key internal digital transformation project. So yeah, try not to get too down and something better may be just around the corner as the old saying goes!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

Some companies can be really weird with their hiring processes.

Despite having worked at a reasonably high level as a Chef, I applied for a couple of KP jobs in care homes near me. It was significantly less money but far better hours and both are pretty much on my doorstep. I never even got to the interview stage. One was an immediate rejection and the other didn't even bother replying. I assume that they decided that I was overqualified and that I'd fuck off if I got a better offer, but isn't that what interviews are for? It's only been a couple of months and I've seen both places re-advertising the jobs a few times already.

On the plus side, my current job as a Support Worker is amazing. More money than I used to be on but half the hours and a feeling that I'm actually helping people. I'd happily do a lot of it for free.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Paid Members

The last job I didn't get, I'd gotten my hopes up a bit much because when they sent the generic feedback out to all the applicants, all the correct answers to the competency based part were spot on with what I'd put.

I got even more excited when they rang and gave me some specific feedback, and mentioned that the generic feedback was actually based on the "model answers" I'd given.

And then they said no, but I should try again because if I can show suitable competency, then there's no reason I shouldn't be successful. 

Bleh.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Have an interview upcoming for a writing gig I'm more than capable of. Unfortunately, I am completely drowning in anxiety about the interview and the judgment that goes with it. I completely suck at interviews. I write, that's my thing. But the interview will be a mess. It always is. Sorry, just venting.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Some companies can be really weird with their hiring processes.

Despite having worked at a reasonably high level as a Chef, I applied for a couple of KP jobs in care homes near me. It was significantly less money but far better hours and both are pretty much on my doorstep. I never even got to the interview stage. One was an immediate rejection and the other didn't even bother replying. I assume that they decided that I was overqualified and that I'd fuck off if I got a better offer, but isn't that what interviews are for? It's only been a couple of months and I've seen both places re-advertising the jobs a few times already.

Worth sending a cover letter for jobs you might be overqualified stating in more flowery language that you won't just fuck off as soon as a better job comes along. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, AshC said:

Have an interview upcoming for a writing gig I'm more than capable of. Unfortunately, I am completely drowning in anxiety about the interview and the judgment that goes with it. I completely suck at interviews. I write, that's my thing. But the interview will be a mess. It always is. Sorry, just venting.

I understand that feeling completely.

Try not to overstate its importance, if you don't get it its fine, there will be other opportunities. I know that's easier said than done. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, AshC said:

Have an interview upcoming for a writing gig I'm more than capable of. Unfortunately, I am completely drowning in anxiety about the interview and the judgment that goes with it. I completely suck at interviews. I write, that's my thing. But the interview will be a mess. It always is. Sorry, just venting.

If Twitter has taught me anything it’s that you’ll look super hip and cool if instead of referring to it as “writing” you refer to it as “doing words”.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...